Check your account email address ×

Cat introducing new platform at Haydays.

26 minutes ago, ICG said:

Ok, Harley Davidson has ran belts, over chain since the mid ,80's....

Spiders + Slingshot s use belts...

Stone crushers have wide sheave pulleys + run many belts...

While I'd rather a gear case, or chain case, I'm sure Gates can build a suitable belt to an OEM spec requirements.

Yes but hardly Davesons only make 70 hp 

• Haha 1

I get the arguments for running belts.  Try counting the belts on a modern combine.  Quite a few of those are CVT style too.  There are also plenty of chains.  Between the two options, I think the chains fail at a higher percent.  Environment doesn't help.  Dust and fine dirt are the norm.  That issue also brings up an argument against chain drives.  We run those buggers in oil on sleds.  I guess chains don't like snow and water.

We had some road work done by the house this summer and they brought in a Wirtgen soil stabilizer  It basically dropped a set of teeth through the pavement and ground the whole works to fine aggregate in one pass.  Pretty slick machine and not cheap.  That big ol roto tiller ran off a belt.

Belts can do the job.  I do think they may struggle more with some riding conditions.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, f7ben said:

NASCAR blowers run on a belt , how much hp is that belt being loaded with?

The issue isn't whether a belt CAN be bulit strong enough but more of a "how much will the bean counters let us spend" on such a belt. At Cat I'm guessing money is tight.

12 minutes ago, HSR said:

The issue isn't whether a belt CAN be bulit strong enough but more of a "how much will the bean counters let us spend" on such a belt. At Cat I'm guessing money is tight.

Right , it’s not the idea of a belt ...it’s the cheap ass cat garbage: 

6 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Ramstad says its not gonna take the abuse of a casual trail rider like Himself. :lol2:

For the guy who hasn't broken 50mph in years.

4 hours ago, Ziemann said:

I watched today's Cat teaser probably 20 times now. I like what I see and am excited for tomorrow. They are definitely sending a message by using a female Cat employee in the video....

https://www.facebook.com/reel/626248442433362

Sled is made for dykes?

Given where he lives, and where he rides, I can't believe that anyone takes Jim seriously. I've had a change of heart on Jim. He knows that he's a troll, and probably laughs his ass off every time someone responds to his trolling. I do think he just trolls everyone and is entertained by it. He is the ultimate troll- 

He isn't smart enough to be a troll.  For him it is passion.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:12 AM, Anler said:

At my age I dont really need faster than 160hp. And I am pretty happy with the polaris sleds I have now. Probably going to keep them for a while.

I also think the new skidoos are super refined. Very nice machines

Cat lacks in pretty much all categories except handling. Their finished product is the least appealing 

Unless you want to blow the competition's door's off on high speed trails or the lake. Far as appealling, , for your average Joe on the trails sure, but on flatland racing the ProCross still wins a large percentage of USXC and ISOC flatland racing, even in 2022. If Polaris and Ski-Doo's chassis handles better, it sure doesn't show up in racing, and in most real world conditions.

I drove a 21 VR1 850 last year and my former 2012 F800 with some mods handled just as good.

Edited by stinkipinki

6 hours ago, SkisNH said:

The marketing team should be hung...this literally is the biggest moment for Cat after the long wait and nothing. There are no teasers, no spy shots that make people guess, no controlled leaks...

I hope for something spectacular, but will be happy with a highly competitive entry. 

there's a teaser on their Facebook page, but not their YouTube channel... They have some real fucking geniuses in the marketing dept

I watched today's Cat teaser probably 20 times now. I like what I see and am excited for tomorrow. They are definitely sending a message by using a female Cat employee in the video....

https://www.facebook.com/reel/626248442433362

that message is, it's a 600 

1 hour ago, Deephaven said:

For the guy who hasn't broken 50mph in years.

Sled is made for dykes?

He isn't smart enough to be a troll.  For him it is passion.

The chick in the clip is Alicia Martin. 

She is a Cat engineer and can outride 100% of the swinging d's on this forum and on HCS.  In the ditches and mountains.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, Bontz said:

That video clip .. is that the chick with the iPad from last year, starting that sled? LOL

Hopefully they learned from that embarrassing move.  Jimmy (Ramsted) use to have to go to the factory to find her and bring her out.

I hope it's a good release and sled. It pushes the other manufacturers.

3 hours ago, ACE said:

Yes but hardly Davesons only make 70 hp 

It must have been a shock to the consumer, to see the first belt drive Hog.

Ok, a stone crusher has belts and a hundred hp electric motor...

Bigger diesel powered wood chippers in the thousand HP range still use belts 

Industrial / factory machines are full of belts....and their not going away.

48 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

She is a Cat engineer and can outride 100% of the swinging d's on this forum and on HCS.  In the ditches and mountains.

Cool ... and I'm not trying to throw shade on them using a female in the video.  It was more or less a shot at that "Textron leader" they put in front of everyone last year, who clearly should NOT have been on stage.  Hell, I think more people would have been impressed to see Alicia Martin on the stage last year vs. "iPad Lady"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Well then, you told him, huh? 

Some of you fuckers talk like your paycheck depends on defending these companies. Even then, who fucking cares enough to get all pissy about it? :flush: 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

there's a teaser on their Facebook page, but not their YouTube channel... They have some real fucking geniuses in the marketing dept

What about the free thinkers that don't have fakebook.

Edited by SkisNH
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

Quick research showed she's pretty hot too :bc:

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Well then, you told him, huh? 

Some of you fuckers talk like your paycheck depends on defending these companies. Even then, who fucking cares enough to get all pissy about it? :flush: 

Sounds like you’re pretty pissy about it.🤷🏻

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

NASCAR blowers run on a belt , how much hp is that belt being loaded with?

Lots. But belts have to be perfectly aligned to work properly. Chains give you more leeway