Check your account email address ×

What's for dinner???

• Gold Member
7 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Lentil, Ditalini, and Sausage Soup

(Zuppa di Lenticchie Ditalani e Salsiccia)

Ingredients

3 sweet pork sausage links or fennel sausage or hot sausages casings removed and meat crumbled. I add about a tablespoon of fennel seed.

6 to 8 cups chicken broth

1 cup dried lentils, sorted and washed (1 cup dried lentils yields 3 to 4 cups cooked)

1/2 to 1 cup ditalini pasta

1 - 20+ ounce can diced tomatoes

Salt

Freshly ground black pepper

Instructions

1. Cook the sausage in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until it is no longer pink. Set aside.

2. Pour the chicken broth into a soup pot, add the lentils, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 30 to 35 minutes. (Do not overcook them or they will turn to mush; they should still have a bit of a firm core at this point.)

3. Stir in the ditalini, and 1 teaspoon of salt and continue cooking until the pasta is almost al dente, about 5 minutes depending on the brand. Stir in the sausage and tomatoes. Cover and simmer the soup for 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Thanks, only thing I don't have handy are the lentils. :bc:

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Thanks, only thing I don't have handy are the lentils. :bc:

Lentils make the soup

There’s only 5 ingredients and I usually use hot sausages and use 4 or five.

its awesome on a cold day with a stick of Italian bread. Even better the next day.

50 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

We send it to my nephew in Georgia. 

Is it only available in the northeast? As a kid I loved a toasted peanut butter and jelly with a bit of fluff. Strawberry or raspberry were my preferred jam/jelly  :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

Is it only available in the northeast? As a kid I loved a toasted peanut butter and jelly with a bit of fluff. Strawberry or raspberry were my preferred jam/jelly  :lol:

We had this...so did my wife in the south.

Dairy-Free Marshmallow Fluff

4 hours ago, ckf said:

Grape for me...lol

• Haha 1

We went out for dinner now that were free of the 14 day quarantine. We went to a restaurant in Dartmouth NS and I had a 24 0z Prime Rib steak with sauteed onions mushrooms and fries. It was pretty good and we didn't have to cook lol

• Like 2

• Gold Member
On 1/30/2021 at 11:14 PM, Mainecat said:

Lentils make the soup

There’s only 5 ingredients and I usually use hot sausages and use 4 or five.

its awesome on a cold day with a stick of Italian bread. Even better the next day.

Just made this but made a substitution for the lentils because the wife can't eat them, used red beans. 

Damn delicious, thanks for the recipe 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen Hawking said:

Just made this but made a substitution for the lentils because the wife can't eat them, used red beans. 

Damn delicious, thanks for the recipe 

Never thought of beans. Did you use hot sausages?