Check your account email address ×

Well, it's official. I am now retired!!

irv

5 minutes ago, irv said:

I have heard that. I need to do some digging/research as I have heard it is now a lot, or can be, cheaper to purchase one already assembled rather than building one yourself.

Mine is old tech so I know a lot has change since I built mine. 

That car needs an LS crate motor. Tidy up that suspension and it’ll be better than a new car.😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pete said:

Irv

Does that engine have a solid lifter cam or hydraulic ?

Hydraulic, Pete. A Lunati cam but I forget the specs. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
7 hours ago, irv said:

After 36+ years I can finally say I am retired. 6 years of construction pouring concrete and 30 yrs in operations is enough. I always shot for freedom 55 and I'm glad I was able to realize that dream.

Looking forward to the years ahead that will include my trailer/boat and of course more sledding in the winter! :bc:

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Congratulations! :bc:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I was always a fan of the 78-88 G body,  but there is a 76 Olds 442 like the one pictured below for sale a few towns over and it looks damn good :bc:

204638.jpg

Those mid 70's Cutlass were pos. Axe me how I know... :lol:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Congrats Irv.

Most of the retired guys I know say they are way busier working now than when they had full time jobs. Everyone thinks you have nothing to do so they ask you to come help.

Lots of guys who worked hard their entire lives get bored as frig after a few months and come around looking for seasonal work 

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Congrats Irv.

Most of the retired guys I know say they are way busier working now than when they had full time jobs. Everyone thinks you have nothing to do so they ask you to come help.

Congrats.

Blackstar is correct.  I have a long list of "projects".  The big difference is the ability to do them on my schedule.  That, and doing projects I enjoy.  I'm in better shape too. :D  Working on a schedule in a high stress job every day wasn't a big asset to my health.  Seemed like I just wanted to veg when I got done for the day.

I have some friends that are afraid of retirement.  They have plenty of money, they just don't know how to do anything outside of their job.  One of the guys makes a seven figure income.  He's a good guy and certainly should retire.  He is afraid that golf won't take up much time, (No kidding).  I told him it is time to learn how to so stuff.  It shocks me how many people don't even have basic skills with things like power tools.  Pick up a few skills and you will be plenty busy.

22 minutes ago, favoritos said:

Congrats.

Blackstar is correct.  I have a long list of "projects".  The big difference is the ability to do them on my schedule.  That, and doing projects I enjoy.  I'm in better shape too. :D  Working on a schedule in a high stress job every day wasn't a big asset to my health.  Seemed like I just wanted to veg when I got done for the day.

I have some friends that are afraid of retirement.  They have plenty of money, they just don't know how to do anything outside of their job.  One of the guys makes a seven figure income.  He's a good guy and certainly should retire.  He is afraid that golf won't take up much time, (No kidding).  I told him it is time to learn how to so stuff.  It shocks me how many people don't even have basic skills with things like power tools.  Pick up a few skills and you will be plenty busy.

I know several guys who dies within a year or two of retirement. Its unfortunate that many people just dont know much outside of work because they have devoted so much of their life to it. Alot of people are very lonely and dont really interact with other people outside of work so they stay working. Fuck that, as soon as I am able I am dippiing out of this. Alot of my friends are retiring or nearing retirement, I should have plenty of people to do things with. :bc: 

1 hour ago, Anler said:

I know several guys who dies within a year or two of retirement. Its unfortunate that many people just dont know much outside of work because they have devoted so much of their life to it. Alot of people are very lonely and dont really interact with other people outside of work so they stay working. Fuck that, as soon as I am able I am dippiing out of this. Alot of my friends are retiring or nearing retirement, I should have plenty of people to do things with. :bc: 

People ask me what I'm going to do. WTF do you think I'm going to do!. Unplug the clock radio, turn off my phone at night, sit on the porch and drink my coffee in the morn, open the garage door and think about cleaning it up, hop in the boat and go for a cruise, go fishing,drive around in my sxs,cut the grass, wait for snow so I can go sledding, chase the wife around, and drink fkn beer and visit all my retired friends

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smokin george said:

People ask me what I'm going to do. WTF do you think I'm going to do!. Unplug the clock radio, turn off my phone at night, sit on the porch and drink my coffee in the morn, open the garage door and think about cleaning it up, hop in the boat and go for a cruise, go fishing,drive around in my sxs,cut the grass, wait for snow so I can go sledding, chase the wife around, and drink fkn beer and visit all my retired friends

Zackly! :bc: 

18 hours ago, AKIQPilot said:

Very nice work Irv.  Being able to stay employed for that long is pretty incredible.  When I was a kid I always heard that long term employment was a thing of the past.  Looks like both you and I were able to make that a reality.  Congratulations man.  Lots of fun times ahead.  

Working for a place they cannot relocate and hsving a strong union will do that. Congrats Dale. Enjoy a healthy long retirement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, smokin george said:

Sounds like retirement.:bc:

12 hours ago, irv said:

Thanks guys! :bc:

I have no worries about keeping busy, trust me. Over the years projects, things to do pile up. I have worked 4, 10's since around 2005 and although having every Friday off, when I wasn't working overtime, which was quite often, there are many things around the house and at the trailer that have been neglected and put on the back burner.

I have my Monte Carlo to also get back on the road which I am hoping to get at hopefully this fall? It needs a lot of work so I know that alone will definitely keep me busy for a while! I am also currently looking after 3 vehicles, including my son's car which has caused me a lot of grief lately so just when I think I have lots of time, the list just keeps growing.

All I know is, it will be great not waking to an alarm clock and answering to the boss any longer. That I am definitely looking forward to! :bc:

Congratulations Irv. As I said in another thread, I'm 53 and I'm worn out. When i retire on my way home on my last day I'm throwing my work boot's out the widow.

• Haha 1