Check your account email address ×

Well, it's official. I am now retired!!

irv

Very nice work Irv.  Being able to stay employed for that long is pretty incredible.  When I was a kid I always heard that long term employment was a thing of the past.  Looks like both you and I were able to make that a reality.  Congratulations man.  Lots of fun times ahead.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, irv said:

After 36+ years I can finally say I am retired. 6 years of construction pouring concrete and 30 yrs in operations is enough. I always shot for freedom 55 and I'm glad I was able to realize that dream.

Looking forward to the years ahead that will include my trailer/boat and of course more sledding in the winter! :bc:

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

:bc: congrats Irv 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Congrats Irv.

6 hours ago, Rapid Anus said:

wanna come run a combine? 

Most of the retired guys I know say they are way busier working now than when they had full time jobs. Everyone thinks you have nothing to do so they ask you to come help.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! :bc:

I have no worries about keeping busy, trust me. Over the years projects, things to do pile up. I have worked 4, 10's since around 2005 and although having every Friday off, when I wasn't working overtime, which was quite often, there are many things around the house and at the trailer that have been neglected and put on the back burner.

I have my Monte Carlo to also get back on the road which I am hoping to get at hopefully this fall? It needs a lot of work so I know that alone will definitely keep me busy for a while! I am also currently looking after 3 vehicles, including my son's car which has caused me a lot of grief lately so just when I think I have lots of time, the list just keeps growing.

All I know is, it will be great not waking to an alarm clock and answering to the boss any longer. That I am definitely looking forward to! :bc:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks guys! :bc:

I have no worries about keeping busy, trust me. Over the years projects, things to do pile up. I have worked 4, 10's since around 2005 and although having every Friday off, when I wasn't working overtime, which was quite often, there are many things around the house and at the trailer that have been neglected and put on the back burner.

I have my Monte Carlo to also get back on the road which I am hoping to get at hopefully this fall? It needs a lot of work so I know that alone will definitely keep me busy for a while! I am also currently looking after 3 vehicles, including my son's car which has caused me a lot of grief lately so just when I think I have lots of time, the list just keeps growing.

All I know is, it will be great not waking to an alarm clock and answering to the boss any longer. That I am definitely looking forward to! :bc:

way cool

What year Monte?

Just now, Pete said:

way cool

What year Monte?

74 Pro Street. I cooked the engine over 16-17 yrs ago now and never bothered even looking into it. I shoved it in the garage, put it up on blocks and forgot about it. I need to pull the engine, among other things, to get it back on the road but hopefully with a little help from my son and a bud or two, it won't take me too long? 

Picture 005 (Large).jpg

Picture 002 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pete said:

way cool

What year Monte?

I was always a fan of the 78-88 G body,  but there is a 76 Olds 442 like the one pictured below for sale a few towns over and it looks damn good :bc:

204638.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, irv said:

74 Pro Street. I cooked the engine over 16-17 yrs ago now and never bothered even looking into it. I shoved it in the garage, put it up on blocks and forgot about it. I need to pull the engine, among other things, to get it back on the road but hopefully with a little help from my son and a bud or two, it won't take me too long? 

Picture 005 (Large).jpg

Picture 002 (Large).jpg

Hey pretty cool.

That's a tall intake there. Whats the CI?

Just now, Pete said:

Hey pretty cool.

That's a tall intake there. Whats the CI?

Only a 350, Pete, bored out .30 over. Trying to watch my money back in 87-88 when I was building it, I went the small block route but wish I had of went big block. Still undecided what route to go this time but I am leaning towards a big block if the budget allows it. 

Picture 015 (Large).jpg

Picture 016 (Large).jpg

Picture 018 (Large).jpg

Picture 020 (Large).jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, irv said:

After 36+ years I can finally say I am retired. 6 years of construction pouring concrete and 30 yrs in operations is enough. I always shot for freedom 55 and I'm glad I was able to realize that dream.

Looking forward to the years ahead that will include my trailer/boat and of course more sledding in the winter! :bc:

darlington-generating-station-full.jpg

Good for you, Irv!  Now, it’s time to get on solving the global climate crises!!!!!!  Spare no time or expense!!!!

:lol: 

:bc:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, irv said:

Only a 350, Pete, bored out .30 over. Trying to watch my money back in 87-88 when I was building it, I went the small block route but wish I had of went big block. Still undecided what route to go this time but I am leaning towards a big block if the budget allows it. 

Picture 015 (Large).jpg

Picture 016 (Large).jpg

Picture 018 (Large).jpg

Picture 020 (Large).jpg

Wow that's so cool Irv.

The parts available today are incredible. Im planning on building a 392 CI small block for my Nova using a DART block. They are sooo much better than the factory 4 bolt blocks. Looks like the heads are 041's? I have them on my Nova as that's what the Nova came with on the L-48

Edited by Pete

Just now, Pete said:

Wow that's so cool Irv.

The parts available today are incredible. Im planning on building a 392 CI small block for my Nova using a DART block. They are sooo much better than the factory 4 bolt blocks.

I have heard that. I need to do some digging/research as I have heard it is now a lot, or can be, cheaper to purchase one already assembled rather than building one yourself.

Mine is old tech so I know a lot has change since I built mine. 

Just now, irv said:

I have heard that. I need to do some digging/research as I have heard it is now a lot, or can be, cheaper to purchase one already assembled rather than building one yourself.

Mine is old tech so I know a lot has change since I built mine. 

Yeah you can buy them assembled. Me personally I prefer to blueprint and assemble my own. That's just me. I love building race engines and have done a few over my lifetime.

Scat Manley Crower KI technologies Callies all make great stuff.

• Like 1