Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, f7ben said:

Dude.....not everything else is gay. Electric smokers.... while producing good results.....are indeed gay as fuck.

It's like says.....

Hey...what difference does it make if a 300lb Male nurse milks my prostate or a playboy bunny sucks my dick. The end result is all the same. 

Sure.....you got to blow a load but everything leading up to the electric smoker nut is gay as 40 bags of fuck

I've been saying that for a long time

Well that's a little extreme....can we at least make the 300 pound male nurse a decent looking sub 200 pound tranny? 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Woodtick said:

I have a coworker that does competition BBQ with a pull behind like Bhen’s new set up. He uses a electric smoker at home and when tested new recipes ,temps ,and cook times. I wasn’t a believer until I got one as a gift. Being able to throw it in back of the Jeep is awesome. It holding temp at 10 deg is also nice.

Definitely. It fit in the back of the wife's grand cherokee and is light enough (70 lbs) that I can pick it up and load it by myself.  :bc:    

$200 is hard to pass up. Amazon currently has it at $365.  

https://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20070311-40-Inch-Controller-Electric/dp/B0048HU34Y

here is the link below for $199 if anyone is interested. Killer deal. The cheapest digital units you can buy are the same price and they have a smaller heating element, dont come with wheels, a remote, probe, and cant fit a full rack of ribs on a rack.  This can fit 2 racks per row. A few poor reviews on this site, but the 4500+ at amazon tell another story.  Some guys say the electronic control failed on them right away, mine has been great.  Ive heard Masterbuilt has great customer service and sends out new control units if anything goes wrong.  The best part about this unit is that it is a gen 1 masterbuilt box (the best one) with gen 2.5 electronics and heating element.  Supposedly the best of both worlds.  Stay away from gen 2 masterbuilt units.  They don't even make them anymore but there are a few out there leftover. 

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/masterbuilt-mes-140s-40-in-digital-stainless-steel-electric-smoker-with-window#repChildCatid=4903528

Edited by thewayout
  • Like 1

BBQ'ing is a hobby for me too. That doesn't mean that there aren't times when I would welcome the ease of an electric or pellet smoker. Having both might be the way to go.

• Like 2

Just now, ckf said:

BBQ'ing is a hobby for me too. That doesn't mean that there aren't times when I would welcome the ease of an electric or pellet smoker. Having both might be the way to go.

Agreed. I can see the advantages of both.  For what I do i dont need anything bigger then what I have at the moment.  If i wanted to cook 8 racks of ribs, i could but I don't see that ever happening.  

My next step is doing a brisket.  Any advice? I was thinking 225 or 250 and let er go until I hit the stall.  Do I power through that unfoiled or are the results better when you foil?  I really enjoy burnt ends and some nice bark but I could always finish it in the smoker to get some bark back if i do foil. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I still enjoy my 22” Weber. I’m finding I use the electric in the cold months. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm smoking some sausage for mid week easy meals. Hard to find the time and even harder to find meat worth smoking. Been to the grocery store last 2 weekends and there's nothing there. Today, I couldn't even buy ribs, doing striplions on the bbq.

There's a wholesale grocery store here that caters to store/restaurant owners. I usually buy beef roasts and pork butts there. Cleaned out, nothing in the coolers. Going to have to find time to get to a butcher.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I'm smoking some sausage for mid week easy meals. Hard to find the time and even harder to find meat worth smoking. Been to the grocery store last 2 weekends and there's nothing there. Today, I couldn't even buy ribs, doing striplions on the bbq.

There's a wholesale grocery store here that caters to store/restaurant owners. I usually buy beef roasts and pork butts there. Cleaned out, nothing in the coolers. Going to have to find time to get to a butcher.

Is there a slaughter house that sells retail within an hr of you?

4 hours ago, f7ben said:

You're more than welcome 

Just head north out of Duluth on 53 and call me when you hit hwy 37

Do I have to pick up the Phaggit with Phaggit shoes when I pass through Duluth?

46 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

Do I have to pick up the Phaggit with Phaggit shoes when I pass through Duluth?

Just stop and the first rest area and throw a 10 spot on the ground....he will come running out :lol:

• Haha 1