Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, Zamjabronie said:

This is bad.  This is all bad.  

You know you love my selfies..I'm 25 at heart

Ribs overcooked in about 4.5 hours. They are delicious but they are falling off the bone. My temp on the pit indicated 235 average with very little fluctuation but the temp on the grates must be running 20+ degrees higher. I will get that dialed in. The loin turned out great but its a cut of meat with little fat. I decided to break out the slicer and slice it all. Then we made a finishing sauce and mixed it in......its really good

My wife made au gratin potatoes and we finished them in the warming box of the smoker.....they took on a subtle smoke flavor and turned out absolutely outstanding. 

As far as the cooker goes.......it was 75 with average wind today and it ran like a top. It just wants to chug along between 230-240 indicated. Very easy to run with only little corrections needed. 

Ash is an ok wood.....very mild....burns really well but it has just a little bit of a bitter smoke flavor vs say oak or hickory......I have no problem using it but I wouldnt seek it out.

I brought some food over to my neighbors on all sides.......the one older couple had both of their sons over. The sons are in their late 50's I'd say. I just brought one big plate to them as I didnt know there was 4 of them there. They were nibbling on it when I left and just 20 minutes later they were knocking on the door to say "that was some outstanding bbq....great work"

Got a lot of work to do before we could enter any competitions or cater/party but we'll learn quick and get it all dialed in. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I got 7 lbs of beef tenderlion and no plan.

Got my Mom coming for dinner tomorrow night.

Suggestions?

Loin is one of the less desireable meats for BBQ because of the low fat.  Smoke it up and slice it up for sandwiches.  It's a good sauce display meat.

Neal

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NaturallyAspirated said:

Loin is one of the less desireable meats for BBQ because of the low fat.  Smoke it up and slice it up for sandwiches.  It's a good sauce display meat.

Neal

Exactly.....brine it.....smoke it till about 150 and then slice thin and mix with a finishing sauce. Makes great sammis

Doing a packer tomorrow.....all trimmed up. Injected to the max and just put the rub on a few minutes ago.

15.4lbs before trim...probably 11 after

This is after trimming. Can't wait for burnt ends 

20180728_193344.jpg

Edited by f7ben
  • Like 5

On 7/22/2018 at 6:20 PM, f7ben said:

Ribs overcooked in about 4.5 hours. They are delicious but they are falling off the bone. My temp on the pit indicated 235 average with very little fluctuation but the temp on the grates must be running 20+ degrees higher. I will get that dialed in. The loin turned out great but its a cut of meat with little fat. I decided to break out the slicer and slice it all. Then we made a finishing sauce and mixed it in......its really good

My wife made au gratin potatoes and we finished them in the warming box of the smoker.....they took on a subtle smoke flavor and turned out absolutely outstanding. 

As far as the cooker goes.......it was 75 with average wind today and it ran like a top. It just wants to chug along between 230-240 indicated. Very easy to run with only little corrections needed. 

Ash is an ok wood.....very mild....burns really well but it has just a little bit of a bitter smoke flavor vs say oak or hickory......I have no problem using it but I wouldnt seek it out.

I brought some food over to my neighbors on all sides.......the one older couple had both of their sons over. The sons are in their late 50's I'd say. I just brought one big plate to them as I didnt know there was 4 of them there. They were nibbling on it when I left and just 20 minutes later they were knocking on the door to say "that was some outstanding bbq....great work"

Got a lot of work to do before we could enter any competitions or cater/party but we'll learn quick and get it all dialed in. 

Sharing your delicious smoked treats with neighbors and friends, while admirable, never works out well.  It’s why I had to put two more butts on yesterday after making four last week.  I’d like to have a bit more for myself.  :lol:

:bc:

I tried to smoke french fries yesterday.  :lol:

Showed bent this already, but smoked some baby backs for the first time yesterday. Only my second smoke. They came out perfect. Not mushy, not fall off the bone. When you took a bite the meat pulled clean off. 

I did not wrap them in foil, 6 hours at 225 all the way through. No spritzing either. Pulled them at 195 IT, also did the bend test. Rubbed 30 minutes prior to going on. The bark was excellent. I don’t even think I’m going to try the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method. 

FDD0E705-4A37-4AC8-84AC-3F6EDD9A96D5.jpeg

27714C2D-9BA1-42AA-A5E6-A281E9927CBA.jpeg

• Like 5