Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, thewayout said:

Showed bent this already, but smoked some baby backs for the first time yesterday. Only my second smoke. They came out perfect. Not mushy, not fall off the bone. When you took a bite the meat pulled clean off. 

I did not wrap them in foil, 6 hours at 225 all the way through. No spritzing either. Pulled them at 195 IT, also did the bend test. Rubbed 30 minutes prior to going on. The bark was excellent. I don’t even think I’m going to try the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method. 

FDD0E705-4A37-4AC8-84AC-3F6EDD9A96D5.jpeg

27714C2D-9BA1-42AA-A5E6-A281E9927CBA.jpeg

What kind of smoker is that....looks delicious.

3 minutes ago, thewayout said:

Showed bent this already, but smoked some baby backs for the first time yesterday. Only my second smoke. They came out perfect. Not mushy, not fall off the bone. When you took a bite the meat pulled clean off. 

I did not wrap them in foil, 6 hours at 225 all the way through. No spritzing either. Pulled them at 195 IT, also did the bend test. Rubbed 30 minutes prior to going on. The bark was excellent. I don’t even think I’m going to try the 2-2-1 or 3-2-1 method. 

FDD0E705-4A37-4AC8-84AC-3F6EDD9A96D5.jpeg

27714C2D-9BA1-42AA-A5E6-A281E9927CBA.jpeg

Well done. Electric smoker though?  Cheating.  :lol: The real art is learning the traits of a wood smoker.  Not to mention, award winning smoked meat is wood smoked.  I learned to smoke in the south.  The artistry those hillbillies have for it is pretty amazing.

But, even poorly smoked meat is delicious!  And most will never know the difference.  

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Well done. Electric smoker though?  Cheating.  :lol: The real art is learning the traits of a wood smoker.  Not to mention, award winning smoked meat is wood smoked.  I learned to smoke in the south.  The artistry those hillbillies have for it is pretty amazing.

But, even poorly smoked meat is delicious!  And most will never know the difference.  

So in other words....blah, blah, blah, blah........ :lol:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

What kind of smoker is that....looks delicious.

Masterbuilt MES40S electric. I got it on sale for $200, normally they’re about $350 or so. 

This one has a built in probe and comes with a wireless remote to set temp, time, check probe temp etc. I use the built in probe to monitor temp inside the box then use my other thermapro probes for the meat. 

The other thing I like about this size smoker is that it’s easy to transport but can also fit a whole rack of ribs on each shelf. The smaller, cheaper ones can’t. You need to cut them in half which I didn’t want to do. 

I also don’t use the wood chip tray. I bought a pellet smoker that is just awesome. I can get up to 12 hours of smoke with it in 1 shot vs hand loading new chips in every 20-30 minutes. Hickory/Apple mix was just right for these ribs. Nice smoke flavor but didn’t linger in your mouth for 2 hours after the meal.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yah, I get it. It’s not a purists way of doing it, but to be honest it’s tough to know the difference between the two. Where I notice the difference is the time I save by not tending to a pit. :lol: 

12 hours of smoke in 1 shot from the pellet smoker vs fucking around with logs. I’d rather spend my time learning now then trying that later. 

36 minutes ago, thewayout said:

Yah, I get it. It’s not a purists way of doing it, but to be honest it’s tough to know the difference between the two. Where I notice the difference is the time I save by not tending to a pit. :lol: 

12 hours of smoke in 1 shot from the pellet smoker vs fucking around with logs. I’d rather spend my time learning now then trying that later. 

Yeah, I owned a propane grill for a while too when I was younger.  It made sense....until it didn't anymore.  The difference is palpable.  But, like it was for me at the time, the conveinience was worth the price.

Smoking is an "event" for me now.  An extra hobby I enjoy to fill my time.  I'm glad it's that way.  I'm glad a lot of things are that way now.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Not that it has anything to do with a smoker, but was at my goddaughters graduation party, and my bud rented this portable stone pizza oven......omg.....fucking delicious.

http://savoyroadshow.com

This is on my to do list....brick pizza oven is the balls

1 hour ago, thewayout said:

I have a coworker that does competition BBQ with a pull behind like Bhen’s new set up. He uses a electric smoker at home and when tested new recipes ,temps ,and cook times. I wasn’t a believer until I got one as a gift. Being able to throw it in back of the Jeep is awesome. It holding temp at 10 deg is also nice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Not that it has anything to do with a smoker, but was at my goddaughters graduation party, and my bud rented this portable stone pizza oven......omg.....fucking delicious.

http://savoyroadshow.com

You can do it with a stone on a regular grill. Lots of info on the web. You can turn a $8 frozen pizza tastes like a $22 brick oven. They sell the grill stone kit at most big box stores. Seasoning the pizza stone is a must.

C4F6C0D7-1BC9-4CEC-8750-308AA2200E4C.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

You can do it with a stone on a regular grill. Lots of info on the web. You can turn a $8 frozen pizza tastes like a $22 brick oven. They sell the grill stone kit at most big box stores. Seasoning the pizza stone is a must.

C4F6C0D7-1BC9-4CEC-8750-308AA2200E4C.jpeg

That actually looks like it would make sense to me.  Might be cool to do a few times.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Well here we go...Ben bought himself some jumbo fancy smoker and now everything else is gay....never saw it coming. :lol:

Dude.....not everything else is gay. Electric smokers.... while producing good results.....are indeed gay as fuck.

It's like says.....

Hey...what difference does it make if a 300lb Male nurse milks my prostate or a playboy bunny sucks my dick. The end result is all the same. 

Sure.....you got to blow a load but everything leading up to the electric smoker nut is gay as 40 bags of fuck

I've been saying that for a long time

Edited by f7ben
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

Dude.....not everything else is gay. Electric smokers.... while producing good results.....are indeed gay as fuck.

It's like says.....

Hey...what difference does it make if a 300lb Male nurse milks my prostate or a playboy bunny socks my sick. The end result is all the same. 

Sure.....you got to blow a load but everything leading up to the electric smoker nut is gay as 40 bags of fuck

I've been saying that for a long time

Except the male nurse plants a big fat, wet, salty, sticky kiss on your mouth when he’s done.

Its NOT the same.  :lol:

2 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Except the male nurse plants a big fat, wet, salty, sticky kiss on your mouth when he’s done.

Its NOT the same.  :lol:

It's not the same. The best part of smoking meats is the minutia and the beer you drink while experiencing it

Set it and forget it is for George Foreman users. 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

It's not the same. The best part of smoking meats is the minutia and the beer you drink while experiencing it

Set it and forget it is for George Foreman users. 

Yup.  Like I said.  Smoking meat is an event.  Not a chore.  Much like “beating meat”.  If it’s a chore, you just aren’t into it enough....and the results will show that.

lol

18 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That actually looks like it would make sense to me.  Might be cool to do a few times.

https://www.homeruninnpizza.com/recipes/gas-grilling-instructions/ fast and cheap way to feed your high school kid and their friends , when they all show up at 8 at night hungry. They taste great and your kitchen doesn’t get fucked up.

Edited by Woodtick

5 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Yup.  Like I said.  Smoking meat is an event.  Not a chore.  Much like “beating meat”.  If it’s a chore, you just aren’t into it enough....and the results will show that.

lol

I cook with love .....I enjoy it and am a student of bbq much like my other passions. There are many things that will wreck a good cook .....haste and sobriety being 2

Edited by f7ben
  • Haha 1