Check your account email address ×

What's for dinner????

ckf

36 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

noodles No . Corn bread Yes. 

FNA  :thumbsup:

wife and daughter like noodles, but I make them on the side and never put them in the chili pot... the starch breaking down in a pot of Chili absolutely ruins it.   same applies to my black bean/ham soup and white chicken chili.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Noodles in chili must be a Wisconsin thing ... my dad still makes his chili that way.

I think many of us grew up eating/making it that way here, my dad sure as hell did.   In my 20's I dated a chick from New Mexico who taught me how to properly make chili and other Tex/Mex dishes.  excellent cook and I still make chili the same way today.  a touch of lime juice and sugar is a key to neutralizing the acidity of whatever type of tomato is used and it really brings out the flavor.   

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

I think many of us grew up eating/making it that way here, my dad sure as hell did.   In my 20's I dated a chick from New Mexico who taught me how to properly make chili and other Tex/Mex dishes.  excellent cook and I still make chili the same way today.  a touch of lime juice and sugar is a key to neutralizing the acidity of whatever type of tomato is used and it really brings out the flavor.   

:thumbsup:

Another thing my dad does is, he'll add milk ... I've never done that, but I'll add sour cream sometimes.  Your recipe sounds similar to what I do ... I use brown sugar to tame it down a bit, but still leaves a good bite / flavor. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Another thing my dad does is, he'll add milk ... I've never done that, but I'll add sour cream sometimes.  Your recipe sounds similar to what I do ... I use brown sugar to tame it down a bit, but still leaves a good bite / flavor. 

milk?  ok, never heard of that.  wife will add sour cream in her bowl if I make a spicy batch. 

try the lime and white sugar towards the end of the cook.  another trick I do during winter is to heat it up, then put it on the garage floor in the pot to cool and warm it up again slowly about an hour before dinner.  I call it, leftover chili today chili... as chili always tastes better the second day as the meat absorbs the flavors and spice as it cools.  

LOL ... the more you describe it, the more I see we're doing similar things.  My chili goes outside to my porch and into a cooler we keep out there during the late fall/winter & sits there until the next day.  Chili is always better after it's sat for a day ... 100% agree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EvilBird said:

Chili  

D196C621-B9E2-40B2-998B-6507EEBB3D8B.jpeg

Wife made a batch yesterday.  Best ever.  She puts corn, plenty of onions and heat.  Then finishes it off with fresh cheese and more diced purple onions.....really good.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bontz said:

Noodles in chili must be a Wisconsin thing ... my dad still makes his chili that way.

I've never heard of anyone putting noodles in chili, nor do I understand why anyone would.  Same with odd veggies.  Wtf?  Outside of the base sofrito perhaps you could add beans but even that is a stretch.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I've never heard of anyone putting noodles in chili, nor do I understand why anyone would.  Same with odd veggies.  Wtf?  Outside of the base sofrito perhaps you could add beans but even that is a stretch.

Like I said, it must be a WI thing as that's the only time I see this done.  When guys would bring a pot of chili up to the cabin, they also would have noodles in their chili (pretty much everyone is from WI).  My joke to my dad, when he does this, is ... "Hey - I thought you said we were having chili, not hotdish!"  Him being 82 years old, and having made chili hundreds of times, he's pretty set in his ways LOL

15 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Tastes like chicken?

I dunno, Deephaven sent me the recipe.  You'll have to ask him.  :lol: 

26 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Teriyaki salmon, gyoza, broccolini

ujEOsQw.jpg

For breakfast?  :lol: 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

It's the "Dinner" thread, not the breakfast.  That being said, we are the one country that is really weird about breakfast.  I'd be glad to eat that in the morning...

Sounds like Dementiabustas still chaffed about something and just can't let it go.

3 hours ago, Steve753 said:

Sounds like Dementiabustas still chaffed about something and just can't let it go.

It was a joke Gomer Pyle, speaking of letting it go.  He posted last nights dinner….last night, and another one this morning.  Try and loosen up a little!  :lol: