Check your account email address ×

What's for dinner????

ckf

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

BJiJGTH.jpg

Steak tar tar, or did you forget to grill it?

plum tomatoes w Buffalo mozz and fresh basil and the best Truffle infused balsamic dressing I’ve ever had…again.

Tonight lamb lollipops on the grill, with vegetable medley.

• Like 3

• Platinum Contributing Member

On Saturday I pulled a little 2 pound picnic roast out of the freezer and into the fridge to thaw so I could smoke it on Sunday. Well it was still frozen at 3pm Sunday so I left it and ate something else. I threw it on the smoker last night at 6pm  figgering 4-5 hours and it should be done. I smoked it at 230 for 4 hours and the temp only got to 155. I cranked the smoker up to 250 and 2 hours later it was at 165. Upped the smoker to 300 for an hour and it onl;y got me to 167. I shut the smoker down, tossed the roast in a container and in the fridge. Off to bed. Thought I killed it.

I heated it up in the micro wave tonight expecting it be all dried out and crap but its actually damn good. Its super lean, like a ham. I put some honer BBQ sauce on it and she's perfect. Baked potatoe covered in creamed corn for sides. Had to have seconds. Banana bread for dessert. 

• Like 6

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Steak tar tar, or did you forget to grill it?

Lol, that is medium rare albeit at the bottom of the range at 132F after resting.  I normally eat my steak rare, but this one had such great marbling I cooked it longer.  As for grilling, you can see the sear on it.  You can also see the melted fat glistening on the meat.  It was glorious.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sled_Hed said:

Pizza here tonight too. Unfortunately it wasn't that one, they are pretty good.

Honestly, for a frozen pizza was good, and was an easy evening 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Lol, that is medium rare albeit at the bottom of the range at 132F after resting.  I normally eat my steak rare, but this one had such great marbling I cooked it longer.  As for grilling, you can see the sear on it.  You can also see the melted fat glistening on the meat.  It was glorious.

Little too rare for me, but nice crumb structure on what I assume is a home scratch sourdough...?   :snack: 

• Like 1

Thanks.  It's actually a yeasted baguette, but home made.  I haven't yet figured out the optimal timing for sourdough baguettes.  That was a couple day ferment in the fridge with little (1g) yeast to slow fermentation.  Substituting a sourdough starter for that is tricky in that you need to have some room temp bulk ferment both before and after the fridge and I prefer my baguettes hot so timing is trickier.  A few more iterations and I'll have those variables figured out.

The meat had a nice long rest.  It is much more cooked than the camera shows.  Color isn't the cue, but temp.  Either way, I do prefer my meat less cooked than most people however everyone that has eaten one I've cooked has enjoyed them.

We were basically out of the water buffalo mozz so that is why that salad was so puny.  Shit is so good.

Edited by Deephaven
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Thanks.  It's actually a yeasted baguette, but home made.  I haven't yet figured out the optimal timing for sourdough baguettes.  That was a couple day ferment in the fridge with little (1g) yeast to slow fermentation.  Substituting a sourdough starter for that is tricky in that you need to have some room temp bulk ferment both before and after the fridge and I prefer my baguettes hot so timing is trickier.  A few more iterations and I'll have those variables figured out.

The meat had a nice long rest.  It is much more cooked than the camera shows.  Color isn't the cue, but temp.  Either way, I do prefer my meat less cooked than most people however everyone that has eaten one I've cooked has enjoyed them.

We were basically out of the water buffalo mozz so that is why that salad was so puny.  Shit is so good.

I used to be in the bread business and distributed some high end stuff from NYC.  Agree on the buffalo Mozz.  That balsamic sauce (what I'm calling it) that we picked up from Italy was such a perfect compliment.  :bc: 

1 minute ago, Deephaven said:

I just started baking bread three years ago.  I never really used an oven much before then.  I can't eat store bought bread anymore. 

This was the baguette before i cut it.

C03dAyS.jpg

Last sourdough bake

Nice work.  Those second loaves I'd describe as Pan di Casa....house loaves.  I still love good bread, some quality EVOO, herbs and spices. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I just started baking bread three years ago.  I never really used an oven much before then.  I can't eat store bought bread anymore. 

This was the baguette before i cut it.

C03dAyS.jpg

Last sourdough bake

4X34wte.jpg

Fuck that looks good.👊🏻

• Like 2