Check your account email address ×

Stop towing like this

10 hours ago, irv said:

Terrible news. I don't think I have ever heard of that before so thanks for posting it up. 

I have seen a few pics like this over the yrs .I cringe every time I see someone doing it and attempt to stop them. 

• Like 1

Aboot 15 years ago I was pulling out a semi with a tractor and the hook on the semi broke and shot past my head 

was kinda crazy I seen the windows drop before I heard the bang 

29 minutes ago, awful knawful said:

We always tied a blanket or jacket in the middle of the sling.

If it broke it wouldn't do the slingshot.

Seen some vids of people doing exactly that and was surprised it actually works.

https://www.pavementsucks.com/threads/towel-or-rag-on-tow-straps.104462/ 

https://www.offroad-ed.com/michigan/studyGuide/Taking-Precautions-When-Using-a-Recovery-Strap/401023_154775/ 

https://www.amazon.ca/Recovery-Dampener-Blanket-Storage-Pocket-Light/dp/B07N3T52SZ 

https://www.readytrekgo.com.au/whats-winch-dampeners-do-i-need-one/ 

Edited by irv

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

We always tied a blanket or jacket in the middle of the sling.

If it broke it wouldn't do the slingshot.

Works good but I wonder how well it would do with this amount of mass? If nothing less maybe it would keep it from slingshotting straight back

5 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Works good but I wonder how well it would do with this amount of mass? If nothing less maybe it would keep it from slingshotting straight back

I know right, the insert looks to have a 12" drop, must be off some D-bags Bro-dozer. A hollow insert with a 12", what could go wrong..

• Like 1

• Gold Member
28 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Definitely makes a difference on a frame machine when a clamp lets go pulling and you got a chain with a 10lb clamp snapping back at you. I was alway taught to throw blankets over chains. We had a guy few years back the chain snapped and hit him in his chest it left perfect chain link rings on his chest I'm sure my manager probably still has a picture somewhere it was pretty crazy.

45 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I know right, the insert looks to have a 12" drop, must be off some D-bags Bro-dozer. A hollow insert with a 12", what could go wrong..

Back when I was towing daily for my job, I actually wore out a few hitches, when the the hitch pin holes would get ovaled out or the whole hitch would bend.  I ended up finding a solid one, problem solved.  Still gotta be careful putting that much pull on anything, from chains to sno bunjes, which are amazing btw.  :lol: 

• Like 1

yrs ago cutting a parking lot. my partner decided to hook a tow strap to the asphalt and pull it up with the bobcat. Hook slipped off and chain came flying back and hit his knee. Dude still dosnt walk right.

About 7 years ago or so I pulled out a stuck logging truck from a neighbors back yard using the hitch on my 2000 3/4 Chevy, the logging truck was empty or I wouldn't have tried, took several tries but we got it unstuck.

• Gold Member

I used to throw a short chunk of log chain over my winch cable if I was pulling something tough.  same theory.  Don't know if that woulda worked but its what I had.  We had something like this happen with a guy pulling his tractor out.  Chain broke and came back and embedded itself in the steel fender under the buddy seat.  1 foot to the right and the guy woulda been cut in half...  Broke the front windows, the back window the buddy seat and stuck into the steel cab frame.  Probably needed new drawers after that.... 

2 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

Back when I was towing daily for my job, I actually wore out a few hitches, when the the hitch pin holes would get ovaled out or the whole hitch would bend.  I ended up finding a solid one, problem solved.  Still gotta be careful putting that much pull on anything, from chains to sno bunjes, which are amazing btw.  :lol: 

Son Bunjes give me the heebie geebies. There were a few of our guys that use to carry them but since they have come around to learning that with the right techniques, you can get a stuck sled out of pretty much every situation without them. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

I used to throw a short chunk of log chain over my winch cable if I was pulling something tough.  same theory.  Don't know if that woulda worked but its what I had.  We had something like this happen with a guy pulling his tractor out.  Chain broke and came back and embedded itself in the steel fender under the buddy seat.  1 foot to the right and the guy woulda been cut in half...  Broke the front windows, the back window the buddy seat and stuck into the steel cab frame.  Probably needed new drawers after that.... 

What I always stayed away from was guys pulling with wire rope (cables).