Check your account email address ×

Stop towing like this

Maybe someone on here will remember there was a threads years ago on HCS about trailer hitch balls and them failing?? I think it was because then didn't have a D.O.T. stamp on them and the balls were breaking off of the receiver hitch??? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on HCS, maybe it won't work because I'm not a member on HCS anymore??

• Platinum Contributing Member

Back in the 80's I used to offroad a bit. Small tires, small trucks. One night some guys came in where we were, all lifted trucks with 38's and up. Well they got this Ramcharger stuck in a creek up to the doors. Some dude in a Chev 3/4 ton said he'd pull it out. The crowd gathered to watch...lol

They had a chain and a couple of straps all cobbled together so the Chev could sit on solid ground. Tug, Tug, Tug, No go. He starts pulling up closer and closer to the Ram then slamming it in reverse.

Bam!

The chain gave out and the straps came flying back. The hook on the strap hit the Chev right at top of the windshield smashing the windshield and caving in the roof.

Good learning experience.

6 hours ago, Jerry 976 said:

Maybe someone on here will remember there was a threads years ago on HCS about trailer hitch balls and them failing?? I think it was because then didn't have a D.O.T. stamp on them and the balls were breaking off of the receiver hitch??? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on HCS, maybe it won't work because I'm not a member on HCS anymore??

I looked and couldn't find it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

It’s amazing that people don’t know this set up.  

0467D437-1563-4246-B639-F35C2F7EE1A2.png

Sure. If you’re pulling out a car or something barely stuck. I run a 6” strap. Clevis with its own receiver attached to it. Yanked 10K lb trucks on 40’s with that setup. Not even so much as a bent pin. Grow up working on farms who grow sugar beats near a flood plain. You’ll learn how to recover heavy equipment properly. 

22 hours ago, ACE said:

Aboot 15 years ago I was pulling out a semi with a tractor and the hook on the semi broke and shot past my head 

was kinda crazy I seen the windows drop before I heard the bang 

Safe-T-Pull is your best friend.