Check your account email address ×

new cat big bore ...

1 hour ago, krom said:

If you can't change the chain case oil, you sure the fuck aren't cleaning the exhaust valves, which needs to be done every season.  No real savings on maintenance other than the cost of the fluid. 

I have a couple hours at almost crashing speed, but the trails had just been groomed, so I wouldn't consider it pounding.  Its better than a procross, the front end is better than anything doo has ever built, and one of the guys I trust say its better than his maytrix front end, but I don't have enough time on one of them to judge.

I do my chaincase every year. Have not touched the power valves since my 2006 Firecat. As long as they move freely, I probably never will. It even states in the manual, it is not required. Looking forward to not having to change the chain case oil. I get pretty nervous when retorquing the bolts to 12 ft lbs.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

No

Want to see credible?  

https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/52092-2024-arctic-cat-catalyst-chassis-details/&do=findComment&comment=1536967

That's a credible review from a credible rider who's opinion I value.   ;)

That was a very good writeup, I enjoyed reading it again.  Great job, @taperk600

@favoritos is another great resource - his attention to detail is amazing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I do my chaincase every year. Have not touched the power valves since my 2006 Firecat. As long as they move freely, I probably never will. It even states in the manual, it is not required. Looking forward to not having to change the chain case oil. I get pretty nervous when retorquing the bolts to 12 ft lbs.

Not required to clean the valves, and the catalyst belt is lifetime.  Gotcha..

You really are a lying piece of shit, aren't you..  How can you be so stupid, as to say something like that, when it is so easy to prove you are lying?????

Page 29 of the 2023 owners manual:

image.png.2ccc157ad47c4a1a64ad943b2633e7bf.png

BTW they will, and do stick, more so on the sleds of folks who ride like you do (like old people fuck)
Yes it happens when you run only ctec-2 oil, yes it happens even if you ride hard and don't clean them yearly.
Yes I have talked customers through the process of cleaning stuck valves, in the hotel parking lot during a saddlebag trip in Canada.

And yes, for the guys who are going to say it only happens to cat riders, the ski doo guy he was riding with had to clean his etec 600 valves on the same trip.

They will and do stick without proper maintenance.

Edited by krom
  • Like 1

So textron's huge announcement is a way late to the party 850 class (that nobody is going to be riding this season) when the competition has had turbo two strokes and 900's in customers hands?

Hope for the sake of the fans that are dying to drop $20K on this sled that wont be on snow for over a year don't  get fucked by first year engine design.  A big problem for textron is they are dropping this me-too sled on consumers that are already battered by record high prices and interest rates.  If the snow this winter is total shit it really won't matter how big the hype is.

9 hours ago, AK440 said:

The Axys & Maytrx chaincase s are a royal pain in the ass to change the oil in too. Polaris must be making bank from eliminating the .50 cent drain plug.

Pain?  Drain plug or pump are the same to me...neither are acceptable.  I want to see the inside of the chaincase when I do it.  Adds a whopping 15 minutes to the procedure, but let's you clean up the rest of the engine bay on that side and really know the condition of everything.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Pain?  Drain plug or pump are the same to me...neither are acceptable.  I want to see the inside of the chaincase when I do it.  Adds a whopping 15 minutes to the procedure, but let's you clean up the rest of the engine bay on that side and really know the condition of everything.  

Same here ... draining without actually cracking the case to look things over is doing a half-ass job IMO.  I will agree, Polaris could make it easier (mostly due to brake caliper removal ... or at least, that one bolt that's a bitch to get at).  But overall, it's not that tough of a process.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Same here ... draining without actually cracking the case to look things over is doing a half-ass job IMO.  I will agree, Polaris could make it easier (mostly due to brake caliper removal ... or at least, that one bolt that's a bitch to get at).  But overall, it's not that tough of a process.

but do you torque it to the right value ?

Its almost as good as it taking 20 minutes to take the hood off a procross...

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, krom said:

Not required to clean the valves, and the catalyst belt is lifetime.  Gotcha..

You really are a lying piece of shit, aren't you..  How can you be so stupid, as to say something like that, when it is so easy to prove you are lying?????

Page 29 of the 2023 owners manual:

image.png.2ccc157ad47c4a1a64ad943b2633e7bf.png

BTW they will, and do stick, more so on the sleds of folks who ride like you do (like old people fuck)
Yes it happens when you run only ctec-2 oil, yes it happens even if you ride hard and don't clean them yearly.
Yes I have talked customers through the process of cleaning stuck valves, in the hotel parking lot during a saddlebag trip in Canada.

And yes, for the guys who are going to say it only happens to cat riders, the ski doo guy he was riding with had to clean his etec 600 valves on the same trip.

They will and do stick without proper maintenance.

Mine have not. I test them every fall and in the spring. Warm the engine up and give the cables a tug. They are very easy to clean on these engines though, so if I had to I would. I had to clean the valves on my 2002 600 yearly because of the design and the oil used. As far as the belt drive goes, what did they say? Set it and forget it. Built for the life of the sled. Until I see otherwise, I will trust the Engineers on this. Oh, and go FUCK YOURSELF! You woke up on the wrong side of the bed again. 

2 hours ago, jdsky said:

So textron's huge announcement is a way late to the party 850 class (that nobody is going to be riding this season) when the competition has had turbo two strokes and 900's in customers hands?

Hope for the sake of the fans that are dying to drop $20K on this sled that wont be on snow for over a year don't  get fucked by first year engine design.  A big problem for textron is they are dropping this me-too sled on consumers that are already battered by record high prices and interest rates.  If the snow this winter is total shit it really won't matter how big the hype is.

at least they won't just tip over in a light breeze 

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

its like the past 3 years I've been living in the future !!!

also , I used a 1/4 drive Milwaukee impact to install the bolts - torque wrenches scare me.

1.jpg

you get that from NSP?  :lol2:

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

there's also a chain tensioner that's good to get eyeballs on occasionally.  

hear them Pewlawress starters are awfully noisy, maybe something as simple as a shim could fix if a guy knew wtf he was doing?  :dunno:

1 hour ago, fortune46x said:

Its almost as good as it taking 20 minutes to take the hood off a procross...

was that 20 minutes before or after broadcasting his ignorance on HCS?

43 minutes ago, Simple Jim said:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE TORQUE SETTING ON A KAWASAKI CHAINCASE IS ?

tighten to snug + 1/4 turn... then call in the rest of your coworkers and tap to the proper torque.

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952oujx14mydpm8qdwdc

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

It's funny how article after article and test rider after test rider, from Snowest, Snowtech, Snowtrax and countless others have raved about how nice and quiet the new belt drive is, and how it eliminates alot of noise and rotating mass, how well the machine handles, and how well balanced it is.
But some brand loyal pundits on here down play that like its no big deal.

IT IS A BIG DEAL.

Many of them, in their words, called it the best handling front end on the market. Ponyrider was one of the first to test ride the sled, think he is from snowmobile.com. Anyways all of this is coming from riders who have driven every sled there is and spent alot of hours on the new Catalyst.

Not saying its some super sled from another dimension, I think the industry is nearing the limit for what you can do with two ski's and a track, but Cat are onto something here.

This 858 sit's even lower in the chassis then the 600 due to built in motor mounts, and the new architecture is 4% lighter.  Combine that with a track proven, rider beloved progressive steering system and vastly superior to a chain case,  belt drive, and you got a really nice package. The much needed cherry on top is the new gauge, which frankly, looks solid.

I don't think the sled will be night and day superior to anything Polaris and Ski-Doo currently offer, Doo's current fit and finish is very good. But I do think the 600 Catalyst will win sled of the year this year, and the 858 will win it next year.

And yes, I do think Cat has a very good chance of getting back significant market share, especially with Yamaha leaving, I believe they will pickup many of those folks as Yamacat has a nice following. IMO Polaris and Ski-Doo have shown all of their cards the past few years while Cat was taking forever to get caught up. That didn't work in Cat's favor before, but letting everyone else show their cards before you do does give you the advantage in that regard. And Cat have obviously capitalized on it.

Edited by stinkipinki

• Gold Member
19 hours ago, AK440 said:

The Axys & Maytrx chaincase s are a royal pain in the ass to change the oil in too. Polaris must be making bank from eliminating the .50 cent drain plug.

You sound like quite the mechanic :read:

Edited by EvilBird

2 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

It's funny how article after article and test rider after test rider, from Snowest, Snowtech, Snowtrax and countless others have raved about how nice and quiet the new belt drive is, and how it eliminates alot of noise and rotating mass, how well the machine handles, and how well balanced it is.
But some brand loyal pundits on here down play that like its no big deal.

IT IS A BIG DEAL.

Many of them, in their words, called it the best handling front end on the market. Ponyrider was one of the first to test ride the sled, think he is from snowmobile.com. Anyways all of this is coming from riders who have driven every sled there is and spent alot of hours on the new Catalyst.

Not saying its some super sled from another dimension, I think the industry is nearing the limit for what you can do with two ski's and a track, but Cat are onto something here.

This 858 sit's even lower in the chassis then the 600 due to built in motor mounts, and the new architecture is 4% lighter.  Combine that with a track proven, rider beloved progressive steering system and vastly superior to a chain case,  belt drive, and you got a really nice package. The much needed cherry on top is the new gauge, which frankly, looks solid.

I don't think the sled will be night and day superior to anything Polaris and Ski-Doo currently offer, Doo's current fit and finish is very good. But I do think the 600 Catalyst will win sled of the year this year, and the 858 will win it next year.

And yes, I do think Cat has a very good chance of getting back significant market share, especially with Yamaha leaving, I believe they will pickup many of those folks as Yamacat has a nice following. IMO Polaris and Ski-Doo have shown all of their cards the past few years while Cat was taking forever to get caught up. That didn't work in Cat's favor before, but letting everyone else show their cards before you do does give you the advantage in that regard. And Cat have obviously capitalized on it.

The problem with your theory is Poo already has a 900 plus the 850 and turbo, same with Doo on the 850. How close are they both to bringing new engines to market. Cat has just caught up, they did not exceed anything Poo and Doo have out now. I see no capitalization here. Of course i don't wear green glasses

• Like 1

its significantly lighter than the doo..

it will be tougher and stronger than the doo (I realize that it would be hard to build somthing weaker than doo does)

The front suspension/handeling is better than doo.

The rear prob won't be as good as the rmotion..  but they have a 5 year old patent for rear suspension that uses the same long fiber composite that the tcl was supposed to be made out of

15 minutes ago, Tripleflipper said:

The problem with your theory is Poo already has a 900 plus the 850 and turbo, same with Doo on the 850. How close are they both to bringing new engines to market. Cat has just caught up, they did not exceed anything Poo and Doo have out now. I see no capitalization here. Of course i don't wear green glasses

I guess you dont understand how expensive it is to bring a new motor to production. I highly doubt Poo and Doo have new motors ready to drop. Tooling, emmisions  certification along with other items hinder that idea.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

I guess you dont understand how expensive it is to bring a new motor to production. I highly doubt Poo and Doo have new motors ready to drop. Tooling, emmisions  certification along with other items hinder that idea.

If you sell as many sleds as doo or polaris, that cost drops to a few dollars a unit.
poo released the 840, turbo, and 900 in a few years

Edited by krom

10 minutes ago, krom said:

If you sell as many sleds as doo or polaris, that cost drops to a few dollars a unit.
poo released the 840, turbo, and 900 in a few years

With as many of those sleds sitting at dealers unsold, you really expect another stop ride, stop sale motor? Dipshit!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Deephaven said:

I usually let the chain decide when it wants the fluid to be removed from the chain case or sell the sled and let the new owner worry about it. It usually decides to drain the fluid at high speeds. Cats bullet proof design insures you will be putting a least a chain tensioner in every 3500ish miles. Hopefully this forever belt last that long. 

• Haha 1