Check your account email address ×

No more yamaha

That's to bad they had some good sleds back in the day.

When they made the decision to go 100% four-stroke seemed to be the start of the end.

Edited by Doug
  • Like 3

Just now, Doug said:

That's to bad they had some good sleds back in the day.

When they made the decision to go 100% four-stroke seemed to be the start of the end.

Yeah that seems to be a poor decision that just led to a slow death. It's too bad they couldn't design a decent chassis to go with the 4stroke, that probably would've helped them stick around 

I'm sad about this news, and feel this is a loss to our sport.  However...

1 - There have only been 3 main manufacturers of snowmobiles in North America since 2014

2 - There are new sleds coming to market - Lynx, Taiga, others

Maybe this isn't a dark day, but the beginning of a new future.  The glass might be half full, after all.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I'm sad about this news, and feel this is a loss to our sport.  However...

1 - There have only been 3 main manufacturers of snowmobiles in North America since 2014

2 - There are new sleds coming to market - Lynx, Taiga, others

Maybe this isn't a dark day, but the beginning of a new future.  The glass might be half full, after all.

Taiga is going belly up. 

• Like 4

They haven't made sleds in many years and weren't trying to, so I see this as no news.

So how many people are going to buy m.y. 2025 Yamaha stickered sleds?  

The only question is will cat lose the Yamaha four stroke?

Not a surprise but still a sad one.
The 998 runs 340-360HP tunes for 15000 miles and they still run good.
Its a chassis industry now and they have no reason to be there, snowmobiling isn't a big money maker.

The SRX 700 will always be a legend.

• Like 2

woohoo!

JK, as much as i cant stand them or their nut swingers, ANY losses from our sport are bad in the long run.

now, if yamaha could step away and maybe Rupp came back, that would be a good swap

58 minutes ago, ZR6000RR said:

My guess is Cat will continue to buy engines from Yamaha as they already use this motor in there  Side x side lineup. 

Boy you never tire of saying stupid shit and being wrong do you....

Wasn't long ago at all I said that AC would be done building sleds for Yami, and you replied you "know for fact that Yamaha isn't going anywhere, I talked to the head yamaha guy at arctic cat"

Only the XX uses a yamahaha engine.  textron lost over $45M to RG, and destroyed their sport SXS brand because they don't want to pay him royalties or fulfill their end of the contract.  They haven't developed or changed the XX since its release in 2018

But despite all of this, your dumb ass thinks they will continue using yamaha engines.....

Edited by krom
  • Haha 1

The motor won’t fit in the catalyst without completely ruining the whole point of what the chassis is supposed to be I don’t get how nobody understands that’s what’s happening. Yamaha doesn’t give a fuck about snowmobiles enough to design a whole new engine for the different chassis. That said I think cat needs to get a turbo catalyst 4T on the market before yamaha is gone so people can see it, ride it and make sure it’s not a grenade before they lose all the 4 stroke market to the 900 ace turbo

6 minutes ago, Palu49 said:

The motor won’t fit in the catalyst without completely ruining the whole point of what the chassis is supposed to be I don’t get how nobody understands that’s what’s happening. Yamaha doesn’t give a fuck about snowmobiles enough to design a whole new engine for the different chassis. That said I think cat needs to get a turbo catalyst 4T on the market before yamaha is gone so people can see it, ride it and make sure it’s not a grenade before they lose all the 4 stroke market to the 900 ace turbo

They could keep making the procross for the big turbo motor 

52 minutes ago, mnstang said:

They could keep making the procross for the big turbo motor 

Or make another parallel twin with newer technology than the last one they designed that’s rock solid and make it make the same power as the 998 in a competitive chassis.

@krom

Does Arctic have anything in their UTV lineup to could be utilized in the Catalyst chassis 4 stroke wise.

We had a demo Polaris 4 stroke for a 3 day ride and was surprised how well it was balanced and handled.

8 minutes ago, Doug said:

@krom

Does Arctic have anything in their UTV lineup to could be utilized in the Catalyst chassis 4 stroke wise.

We had a demo Polaris 4 stroke for a 3 day ride and was surprised how well it was balanced and handled.

Rumor of a new Wildcat SxS engine ... I wonder if it would be dual purpose?

2 hours ago, Palu49 said:

Or make another parallel twin with newer technology than the last one they designed that’s rock solid and make it make the same power as the 998 in a competitive chassis.

Sure.  You could gold plate it too.  But if you could keep putting out a hyper sled four stroke and not change anything that might be better.  Procross is not a bad fit for the typical four stroke machine demands, big wide open trails and lakes.  Solid and planted, I'd imagine better wind protection than the catalyst also.

With the sad sack winters and pathetic governments pushing electric everything I'm wondering if the sport in general is toast. Or lose another mfr or two as the market is/will start to dry up. I use to change sleds every 2 years back in the 80's, 90's and up to 2009. I've had 3 sleds since then and at current mileage of my 2022 will stay with it for another 8 years likely. And the younger folks in my area don't seem to interested in this sport. Hope I'm wrong

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Doug said:

@krom

Keep hearing "they're coming" when talking about new 4 strokes.  Think I said before that the folks I spoke to weren't worried at all about yami going away.  Hopefully no one here thinks that this announcement caught AC off guard....

Currently textron builds one four stroke engine, the 600 atv engine.  All other atv are built by kymco.

Prowler pro gets a 812 3 cylinder car engine made by cherry (used in lots of other brand SXS)

XX has the yami 998 with 1049 cams (how it makes more power than the yxz) (it was supposed to get its own in house engine. (XX is dead, thats the reason it hasn't been touched since the release)

2 minutes ago, krom said:

Keep hearing "they're coming" when talking about new 4 strokes.  Think I said before that the folks I spoke to weren't worried at all about yami going away.  Hopefully no one here thinks that this announcement caught AC off guard....

Currently textron builds one four stroke engine, the 600 atv engine.  All other atv are built by kymco.

Prowler pro gets a 812 3 cylinder car engine made by cherry (used in lots of other brand SXS)

XX has the yami 998 with 1049 cams (how it makes more power than the yxz) (it was supposed to get its own in house engine. (XX is dead, thats the reason it hasn't been touched since the release)

When we looked at the Catalyst that looked tight.  No way the Yamaha motor would have fit that we seen.