Check your account email address ×

Fuel Stabilizers Tested

Tomas.

20 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Very interesting video. Especially considering I've been using StarTron for a long time now  

I have been using seafoam for years lol. Not any more lmao. I am lucky and can still get non-ethanol premium which I use religiously so maybe I won't worry about stabilizers from now on.

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I have been using seafoam for years lol. Not any more lmao. I am lucky and can still get non-ethanol premium which I use religiously so maybe I won't worry about stabilizers from now on.

Used Seafoam once and had problems years ago.   Lesson learned quickly.

I stopped putting ethanol gas in all my small engines a few years ago. Was sick of pulling and rebuilding carbs every year. I has my fuel supplier drop me a 400 gallon tank at my house., filled only with premium. Even my vans and trucks get the premium gas 9 times out of ten. Not to mention the convenience of filling up at home. 

• Like 1

seafoam for me is to be added while using the product to clean up the running qulity.  I used K100 or Startron in sleds and gas laying around.  I use the premixed cans in the chainsaw and cultivator.  for the gallon i use every 2 years the extra is worth it as there is no non e fuel around.  

Didn't watch the vid as there are literally 100's of them all with different results and opinions. I've used Sea Foam for years now and since I first started, I haven't had to clean my carbs on anything.

I normally/usually use Costco high test, which is ethanol free, but depending on the situation, ethanol free gas isn't always available nor is all high test ethanol free. 

1 hour ago, Tomas. said:

Me too, I use it in everything LOL

3 hours ago, irv said:

Didn't watch the vid as there are literally 100's of them all with different results and opinions. I've used Sea Foam for years now and since I first started, I haven't had to clean my carbs on anything.

I normally/usually use Costco high test, which is ethanol free, but depending on the situation, ethanol free gas isn't always available nor is all high test ethanol free. 

Same here, even my weed wacker and chain saw.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, F3600 said:

If you really want the long term skinny on fuel additives, check out Taryl's channel.  This is from Oct, but its been going on since the beginning of the year and you can find prior months.

Thumbs up from me for Taryl and his crew.  Some of the best small engine info out there.

One experiment has K100 as the best, the next it is the worst.  None of these additives are going to be good for dealing with mass amounts of water.  Once the water and fuel are phase separated, you're screwed anyways.  Drain the carb/tank and fill with fresh at that point.  The biggest thing are the antioxidants to slow down oxidation of the fuel.

Personally, I use Stabil for long-term storage with 91 octane, no ethanol.  The 91 octane non-oxy fuel lasts a long time, especially in a sealed container.  On things like sleds that don't get used for 6+ months, I fill with 91 non-oxy and Stabil at the end of the year.  Empty space in the tank can cause condensation and water in the tank.  Then at the beginning of the next season I siphon the fuel out and put it in my truck.  Then fill with fresh 91 non-oxy for the first ride.  This is more than adequate for a fuel injected machine.  

The first reviewer is right, there are tons of additives out there.  The user has no idea what is in the fuel so it gets to be a guessing game as to what to add.  More is not always better in the fuel additive industry.  Even the feedstocks for the different refineries can make a difference.  Additive packages can even change regionally based on the feedstocks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Personally, I use Stabil for long-term storage with 91 octane, no ethanol.  The 91 octane non-oxy fuel lasts a long time, especially in a sealed container.  On things like sleds that don't get used for 6+ months, I fill with 91 non-oxy and Stabil at the end of the year.  Empty space in the tank can cause condensation and water in the tank.  Then at the beginning of the next season I siphon the fuel out and put it in my truck.  Then fill with fresh 91 non-oxy for the first ride.  This is more than adequate for a fuel injected machine.  

Not once have I ever did that. I always siphon all the remaining gas out of my tanks that I can get then add fresh fuel in the spring or fall. I honestly think this condensation claim is over played, over hyped and is nothing but a bunch of folklore.  

I run extra Sea Foam through the engines prior to storage for at least 10 minutes then fog until dead then siphon the fuel out. 

39 minutes ago, irv said:

Not once have I ever did that. I always siphon all the remaining gas out of my tanks that I can get then add fresh fuel in the spring or fall. I honestly think this condensation claim is over played, over hyped and is nothing but a bunch of folklore.  

I run extra Sea Foam through the engines prior to storage for at least 10 minutes then fog until dead then siphon the fuel out. 

When you see all the US built boat stacked on trailers heading into Canada  late winter /early spring. I guess all their tanks must be full.  You know the condensation thing?

1 hour ago, Tinker said:

I haven't cleaned carbs on my shit in 8-9 years since sticking to No Ethanol and Seafoam. 3 boats, 3 sleds, 2 chainsaws, 2 generators, log splitter, Weedie etc... 

Same here, only difference is I dont use any additive....

10 hours ago, Tinker said:

I haven't cleaned carbs on my shit in 8-9 years since sticking to No Ethanol and Seafoam. 3 boats, 3 sleds, 2 chainsaws, 2 generators, log splitter, Weedie etc... 

If you ride northern ont trails it is impossible to get non ethanol at every fill up , which sucks 

12 hours ago, bladefever said:

When you see all the US built boat stacked on trailers heading into Canada  late winter /early spring. I guess all their tanks must be full.  You know the condensation thing?

Yep, no doubt they are all full of gas, each and everyone of them. :news:

Years ago, back in 1996, when I purchased my 95 XLT, the dealer, Wayne's World in Bancroft, told me, when he was out in his yard/compound in the summer, he could actually hear gas boiling in some of the sled tanks. There is a difference between winter and summer gas, as everyone should know, and although I have no idea if his statement was true or not, I seen no reason not to believe him. That always stuck with me and is likely one of the biggest reasons why I siphon out old fuel prior to storage.

My boat, on the other hand, with a built in tank, is impossible to siphon out but I always give it a good dose of Sea Foam and ensure I am down to at least a 1/4 tank or less prior to winter storage. Adding fresh fuel in the spring to a bit of older gas is better than trying to burn off a full tank of last years older gas, imo. 

4 hours ago, The One said:

If you ride northern ont trails it is impossible to get non ethanol at every fill up , which sucks 

we have been unable to get non E consistently in 10 years here in NH and Maine.  Has not really been a big deal after the first year where the E was scavenging the crap off the inside of the tanks and getting run through

14 hours ago, irv said:

I fill the bikes with non ethanol, add sea foam, run till the engine stalls out with petcock closed. Leave it all winter with battery in on trickle charger, both bikes, carbed, fire in the spring as new. The sleds just fill and add se foam, sme thing, fire right up in fall, they are fuel injected. It has been working for me for years and I see no use in trying another way. I have not cleaned a card for a very very long time. Maybe I would get the same results with nothing, but for5 bucks per unit, why f around.