Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

15 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I gave up. Going to do it myself instead. 

It's easy. Did my old shop and my buddy and I did his rental house last summer.

51 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

wife wants to replace a 8' high stockade fence that runs down our property line,  told her no way as materials will be 3x normal cost right now plus inflated labor  

Speaking of inflated labor. 

I took down probably 20 small diameter but tall willow trees last year. Paid a local tree company to come to the house and grind them all up. They did it for $275. Called them this year and wanted a quote to take down/dispose of for the remaining 20ish trees and a quote for just grinding them up if I find the time to do it myself. $3300. More if I call them to just grind up the trees. How in the absolute fuck?!? If I was home (wife is working from home so she dealt with them) I would have laughed DIRECTLY in his face. 

This shit is getting out of hand. Apparently, I need to get my shop going at home so that I can ride this COVID wave before it’s over with. 

52 minutes ago, HSR said:

It's easy. Did my old shop and my buddy and I did his rental house last summer.

I’m almost completely house dumb. Seriously. I can build the most complex of automotive systems and complete vehicles but something as simple as 8 square of vinyl siding scares the shit out of me. :lol:

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I’m almost completely house dumb. Seriously. I can build the most complex of automotive systems and complete vehicles but something as simple as 8 square of vinyl siding scares the shit out of me. :lol:

Getting the starter strip level is key,,put up the corner pieces and start siding. Ya don't hammer the nails all the way to allow for expansion/contraction and overlap at least an inch. 

13 hours ago, HSR said:

Getting the starter strip level is key,,put up the corner pieces and start siding. Ya don't hammer the nails all the way to allow for expansion/contraction and overlap at least an inch. 

Nailed it!

636A1E6D-30BA-4AB9-A048-CA2D1F135DEE.jpeg

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one,..:lol: .I'm working on a trim job at my house, scared shitless to cut this trim at $26 a piece that I am going to fuck it up..

3 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Nailed it!

636A1E6D-30BA-4AB9-A048-CA2D1F135DEE.jpeg

That shit gives me the heebie jeebies. I’d literally punch myself in the face repeatedly if mine turns out like that. 

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one,..:lol: .I'm working on a trim job at my house, scared shitless to cut this trim at $26 a piece that I am going to fuck it up..

But I’ll cut holes in one off cars and weld shit onto them without much of a second thought. Fuckin weird! 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
5 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

That shit gives me the heebie jeebies. I’d literally punch myself in the face repeatedly if mine turns out like that. 

But I’ll cut holes in one off cars and weld shit onto them without much of a second thought. Fuckin weird! 

The worst part about vinyl siding is being freakin 10+ft up a ladder wrestling with a 12ft piece of vinyl trying to keep it from flopping over before you can get it to lock into the lower piece lol. I built my old garage and my vinyl experience was by myself with only a ladder. My recommendation is a helper and some scaffolding. It is really very easy to do and goes pretty quick. I did my old 24x24 garage in 4 days and didn’t know a single thing about siding other than what I had learned watching YouTube videos. I basically built my entire garage by learning from YouTube videos lol. 

On 4/22/2021 at 7:09 PM, racinfarmer said:

They most definitely are.  They are probably the HF Icon line rebranded and on a socket rail for all I know.  

They get pretty glowing reviews on Garagejournal, so I'm taking the chance since they are on sale.  

Apparently, Fedex has sent my tools on the LONG way to MN from CA via pack mule...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, "Cryobi Days" is going on at the Homeless Despot rihght meows...

Buy 2x 4amp/hr batterieas and get at up to $80 bare tool for feels.

What up to $80 bare CRyobi tool would you get?  I already have a drill, impact, and leaf blower.

I'm thinking weed whip and ditch the gas one.

*the buffer is bigley tempting too*

Edited by racinfarmer

58 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

What up to $80 bare CRyobi tool would you get?  I already have a drill, impact, and leaf blower.

Drilldo

On 5/5/2021 at 10:27 PM, racinfarmer said:

My stuff from Capri showed up and looks very well made, even the included socket rails.  

Whichever factory is kicking these out takes pride in the product.  

PXL_20210504_012518486[1].jpg

Those look pretty nice. What was the $$ on all of that? 

16 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Buffer. 

Been on a bit of a tool buying jag myself.  Picked up some Cornwall ratcheting wrenches and deep sockets from my son in law, really nice quality for this backyard mechanic.  Just ordered a Milwaukee cordless buffer for the boat, gonna get after that project next week.  I have a whole bunch of the M18 tools and they all use the same battery which is cool :bc: 

Milwaukee M18 FUEL 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless 7 in. Variable Speed Polisher (Tool-Only)-2738-20 - The Home Depot

i need to pick myself up a long flex head 15mm ratcheting wrench today and a long 3/8 ratchet with many teeth.     where BRP put the last bolt on my steering rack made me want to commit violence. Getting the wrench on the back sucks and to leverage the bolt off i need more clicks and a longer handle as it has a swing of about an inch.     

• Platinum Contributing Member

Tossed a K&N on the GMC,..Easy install, about 30-40min..Sounds good, thought it had a bit more powah in the 3,000-4,500rpm range

IMG_20210527_183618630_HDR.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Tossed a K&N on the GMC,..Easy install, about 30-40min..Sounds good, thought it had a bit more powah in the 3,000-4,500rpm range

IMG_20210527_183618630_HDR.jpg

Total garbage.  I have one on my truck, bought it that was used.  Some day when I get to a pick n pull place I'll put it back to stock.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

To each their own but they are just a glorified rock catcher. If you care about your engine and want to keep the dust and dirt out, get rid of it. The HP gain is minimal, if there is any at all? Just my opinion of course but I personally wouldn't run any K&N filter on anything I own, including my lawnmower if they made one for it? 

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/k-n-air-filter-junk-58772/

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/anyone-else-feel-k-n-filters-waste-money-342102/

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, irv said:

To each their own but they are just a glorified rock catcher. If you care about your engine and want to keep the dust and dirt out, get rid of it. The HP gain is minimal, if there is any at all? Just my opinion of course but I personally wouldn't run any K&N filter on anything I own, including my lawnmower if they made one for it? 

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/forums/performance-accessories-2nd-gen-only-91/k-n-air-filter-junk-58772/

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/lt1-based-engine-tech-9/anyone-else-feel-k-n-filters-waste-money-342102/

It’s not even their filtering properties that bother me the most, it’s the fact that intake kits like that cause increases in intake air temps. Usually big increases. Doesn’t take much of an increase in IATs for an ecm to start pulling timing and adding fuel. That then derates engine power/economy/etc. Not to mention that these systems usually increase the induction system noise to a level higher than a thermoquad with the air cleaner lid on upside down. 

• Like 2