FSCE Shop Talk

The post for anything and everything shop/garage related!

Looking to upgrade lighting in the garage/shop.  Getting sick of replacing T8 and T12 bulbs constantly.

Would you guys go with the 2400 lumen LED lights I can go and get today?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-White-LED-Flushmount-Wraparound-Light-FMLWL-48-840/205570126

Or get the 4500 lumen LED lights I'd need to wait a week for?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-50-Watt-White-Integrated-LED-Strip-Light-MNSL-L48-2LL-MVOLT-40K-80CRI-M6/300263608

Edited by racinfarmer

4 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I've thought about doing this, but I also want all the fixtures to match too.  The previous owner put up whatever he had for fixtures, so I have 2 4' fixtures and a single single bulb fixture.  Plus it gives me a chance to redo the probably hack wiring job.  

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I've thought about doing this, but I also want all the fixtures to match too.  The previous owner put up whatever he had for fixtures, so I have 2 4' fixtures and a single single bulb fixture.  Plus it gives me a chance to redo the probably hack wiring job.  

copy . thought I'd toss it out there. You'd be shocked how bright those little bastards are and the price is damn near cut in half over the last 9 months. When we were ordering them last year they were almost 20$ per

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

copy . thought I'd toss it out there. You'd be shocked how bright those little bastards are and the price is damn near cut in half over the last 9 months. When we were ordering them last year they were almost 20$ per

I'd have definitively gone that way if there was 3 matching fixtures in there, but 3 different ones.  :bc:

And in other shop talk, if you are looking for a way to organize your pliers drawer, 99 cent Goodwill CD rack:

IMG_20160712_2014200712_zps6txqc0fu.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, f7ben said:

This is what we put in our warehouse and pre-fab shop, excellent product with a competitive price.

http://www.americangreenlights.com/utility-shop-lights-performalux-led-sl-series.html

41 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'd have definitively gone that way if there was 3 matching fixtures in there, but 3 different ones.  :bc:

And in other shop talk, if you are looking for a way to organize your pliers drawer, 99 cent Goodwill CD rack:

IMG_20160712_2014200712_zps6txqc0fu.jpg

Nice!  I'm a bit of an organization and neat freak.  But right now...my tool box is FUCKED.  Gonna have to take a day and really get it organized.  It's amazing how much time you spend looking for the tool you need.  Sockets in particular.  Fucking driving me nuts!  I may do that today.  Oh...and indeed...my plier drawer looks like a web of handles.  :wall:

6 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

This is what we put in our warehouse and pre-fab shop, excellent product with a competitive price.

http://www.americangreenlights.com/utility-shop-lights-performalux-led-sl-series.html

I'll bet those are nice and the lifetime is impressive but a bit out of price range for the typical guys garage

24 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I'll bet those are nice and the lifetime is impressive but a bit out of price range for the typical guys garage

I went with the SL-4L-24-50 and they do a great job, I have (9) 400 MH Halide fixtures in the cat cave and replaced the lamps in (4) of them with these, not impressed to be honest and I probably would have been better off replacing the fixtures but that's a lot of work LOL 

https://hyperikon.com/product/led-corn-bulb-80w-street-light/

1 minute ago, Mileage Psycho said:

I went with the SL-4L-24-50 and they do a great job, I have (9) 400 MH Halide fixtures in the cat cave and replaced the lamps in (4) of them with these, not impressed to be honest and I probably would have been better off replacing the fixtures but that's a lot of work LOL 

https://hyperikon.com/product/led-corn-bulb-80w-street-light/

I like simple and easy ....so direct replacement are nice

14 minutes ago, f7ben said:

I like simple and easy ....so direct replacement are nice

The MH's are a Cooper Enterprise 22 I think what hurts the output of the LED is the 5000K color vs the MH which is 4000K and is a better spectrum for illumination.

4 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

The MH's are a Cooper Enterprise 22 I think what hurts the output of the LED is the 5000K color vs the MH which is 4000K and is a better spectrum for illumination.

I havent delved to far into specs .....what does shock me is the lead time still on some of these fixtures. We commonly get told 6-8 weeks on holophane drirect replacements etc. Which sucks. We are trialing about 7-8 different fixtures right now including some 1000 watt high bays that look like fucking US Enterprises :lol: they were 2600$ per I think and in the first month we had one fixture with one bank fail

Edited by f7ben

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Nice!  I'm a bit of an organization and neat freak.  But right now...my tool box is FUCKED.  Gonna have to take a day and really get it organized.  It's amazing how much time you spend looking for the tool you need.  Sockets in particular.  Fucking driving me nuts!  I may do that today.  Oh...and indeed...my plier drawer looks like a web of handles.  :wall:

I hate having these and love them at the same time.  I bought another set of Hansen socket trays from Menards the last time they were on sale.  I think the big 1/2" drive ones end up being around $7 a piece on sale, so about half price.  

I don't like having empty spaces and having to choose if I put 6pt or 12pt sockets in them (6pt in mine for now), but also don't like how unorganized my home box socket drawer had become.  My farm box is much more complete.  

IMG_20161120_1158590161_zpstbh6quwe.jpg

I had 6 60w cfl's in standard incandescent sockets in my garage.....the cfl's are pure shit. Take a while to heat up and throw a weird flickering light when on.

Just last week I replaced them all with 60w equivalent LED's that were on sale at walmart. 2$ per bulb and they are a great improvement. I need to add a bit more lighting but its well lit as it is. 

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I had 6 60w cfl's in standard incandescent sockets in my garage.....the cfl's are pure shit. Take a while to heat up and throw a weird flickering light when on.

Just last week I replaced them all with 60w equivalent LED's that were on sale at walmart. 2$ per bulb and they are a great improvement. I need to add a bit more lighting but its well lit as it is. 

Our whole house is CFL's at the moment, except the 4' fluorescent in the garage.  The house just feels very dark when you first turn stuff on.  Annoys the hell out of me. 

16 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Our whole house is CFL's at the moment, except the 4' fluorescent in the garage.  The house just feels very dark when you first turn stuff on.  Annoys the hell out of me. 

yup , I hate the light too

The light bulb thread.  Speaking of light bulbs, we can thank the Obama administration for these CFLs being forced down our necks and the eradication of incandescent light bulbs, claiming their saving the world by saving power but have you ever seen the labels and videos on how the EPA wants you to clean up a broken CFL?  Better call a hazmat team!

1 hour ago, racinfarmer said:

My house has a mix of CFL & LEDs. CFLs in the garage, outside lights (minus flood light in backyard),  and the bathroom fixtures above the sinks. 

Almost completely LED's now, only thing left is the t-8's in the barn, we save 50.00 dollars a month now, a good chunk was the dusk to dawn light we replaced first, that's what made us change the rest.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Platinum Contributing Member
On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 11:18 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

If only there was an expert in the house.  Lol.

Yeah if only we had a self righteous pompous asshole that supposedly knew about lighing

@SnowRider AKA Dipshit :lol: 

1 minute ago, COPO said:

My current shop project

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nice work COPO!!!! :bc: