Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

• Gold Member
11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Anyone have a really good way to organize a bunch of screwin" tools?

I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 options.

I think this one is in the lead:

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Sorter-Screwdriver-Organizer-Black/dp/B00NTEF4UU?ref_=ast_sto_dp

2nd place: 

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/screwdriver-rack-56655.html

3th place is a magnet bar and have the handles for each style off to a dedicated side.  Cheapest of the tree.

Guy I use to work with used a 2x10 screwed to the side of his box with a bunch of holes drilled in it. His kid used a wood burner to mark the head style for each hole. I always thought that was a pretty good idea. My home box I just leave them in the case they come in but it takes up a lot of space.

4249B3FB-A461-4C77-A2E4-2BD81C5CD9AA.jpeg

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Anyone have a really good way to organize a bunch of screwin" tools?

I've narrowed it down to 2 or 3 options.

I think this one is in the lead:

https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Sorter-Screwdriver-Organizer-Black/dp/B00NTEF4UU?ref_=ast_sto_dp

2nd place: 

https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-storage-organization/tool-storage/screwdriver-rack-56655.html

3th place is a magnet bar and have the handles for each style off to a dedicated side.  Cheapest of the tree.

i,like the concept of the china freight.   Got a whole new set of Tekton ratchets and sockets showing up today.  finally decided to retire all the old craftsmen stuff and get a more complete set.  

On 8/5/2021 at 8:37 PM, FrankieJames7 said:

when i upload pics to fs they are always sideways but aren't sideways anywhere else :dunno:

B20501FA-F708-4B9D-86F8-AAA769FF61B1.jpeg

You prob have an iphone. Most forums don’t ‘handshake’ pics orientation with iphone’s correctly.

So, with an Iphone, hold the phone so the home/ take the pic  ‘click’ button is on the right side. 

On 8/5/2021 at 8:37 PM, FrankieJames7 said:

when i upload pics to fs they are always sideways but aren't sideways anywhere else :dunno:

B20501FA-F708-4B9D-86F8-AAA769FF61B1.jpeg

42 minutes ago, CFM said:

You prob have an iphone. Most forums don’t ‘handshake’ pics orientation with iphone’s correctly.

So, with an Iphone, hold the phone so the home/ take the pic  ‘click’ button is on the right side. 

What I've found to work quite often is to do a simple edit on your phone first before uploading. Rotate the pic, crop it slightly, anything then save in the proper configuration (straight) before uploading it to your documents or album or whatever it is you use before uploading it to here. 

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, CFM said:

Harbor Fraud sucks, but what ever.

It’s hit or miss. I got stuff that’s lasted years with no issues and I’ve had stuff that falls apart within a hour of using it. They always take the broken crap back so is what it is what you except for dirt cheap China junk.

1 hour ago, 800renegaderider said:

It’s hit or miss. I got stuff that’s lasted years with no issues and I’ve had stuff that falls apart within a hour of using it. They always take the broken crap back so is what it is what you except for dirt cheap China junk.

i like it for stuff i am using once in awhile.  air riveter for example works perfect for the once or twice a year i use it when i need to do more than a couple rivets at a time.  

• Like 1

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i like it for stuff i am using once in awhile.  air riveter for example works perfect for the once or twice a year i use it when i need to do more than a couple rivets at a time.  

I have many things I’ve used daily professionally for years from them 3,4,5years. It’s cheap ass tools go in expecting to be disappointed and when it actually works well you’ll be pretty happy cause you probably saved a few hundo over a name brand item.

I have a combination of tools in their original cases and some organized but loose. My company tool box at work has some sections that are actually not organized much at all because I don’t have enough room to do it and I am not buying another tool box for work. That’s also why 90% of my work tools are cheap shit. When I was 20 something, it was all snap on. Now, I go out to the tool truck for specialty things but that’s pretty much it. I was ready to buy two crows foot wrenches off him a few weeks ago, that I need to properly torque tie rod end jamb nuts after setting toe, and he didn’t have them. Rather than wait a week or more, I had Tekton ones on the way from the zon while walking back to the shop from the truck. 

I am becoming quite the fan of Tekton stuff. Has anyone been using HF’s Icon stuff? They appear to be very similar. 

Also, I am taking recommendations for good pickup truck jack stands that don’t break the bank. 

11 hours ago, 800renegaderider said:

Guy I use to work with used a 2x10 screwed to the side of his box with a bunch of holes drilled in it. His kid used a wood burner to mark the head style for each hole. I always thought that was a pretty good idea. My home box I just leave them in the case they come in but it takes up a lot of space.

4249B3FB-A461-4C77-A2E4-2BD81C5CD9AA.jpeg

Those was too much space for me to ever consider it.

11 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I have a combination of tools in their original cases and some organized but loose. My company tool box at work has some sections that are actually not organized much at all because I don’t have enough room to do it and I am not buying another tool box for work. That’s also why 90% of my work tools are cheap shit. When I was 20 something, it was all snap on. Now, I go out to the tool truck for specialty things but that’s pretty much it. I was ready to buy two crows foot wrenches off him a few weeks ago, that I need to properly torque tie rod end jamb nuts after setting toe, and he didn’t have them. Rather than wait a week or more, I had Tekton ones on the way from the zon while walking back to the shop from the truck. 

I am becoming quite the fan of Tekton stuff. Has anyone been using HF’s Icon stuff? They appear to be very similar. 

Also, I am taking recommendations for good pickup truck jack stands that don’t break the bank. 

Every time I've convinced myself to try something, I find what I consider a better value for the money.  It doesn't help they never go on sale anymore.

Gearwrench has been my go-to brand lately.  

22 minutes ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I am becoming quite the fan of Tekton stuff.

Tekton makes some good tools.  Most of their stuff comes from Taiwan I believe.  Prices are reasonable and you can order direct or through someone like Amazon.

Astro is making some real nice tools now too.  Check them out.

I know people like that HF stuff but I just don't buy many junk hand tools.  Got a few things like their arbor press and horizontal bandsaw that don't get used much so I didn't want to spend thousands when their solution was adequate.  Some other good stuff was their air rivet gun, impact extensions, and breaker bars.

Luckily I got most of my hand tools while Craftsman was still made in America.

• Gold Member
21 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Tekton makes some good tools.  Most of their stuff comes from Taiwan I believe.  Prices are reasonable and you can order direct or through someone like Amazon.

I know people like that HF stuff but I just don't buy many junk hand tools.  Got a few things like their arbor press and horizontal bandsaw that don't get used much so I didn't want to spend thousands when their solution was adequate.  Some other good stuff was their air rivet gun, impact extensions, and breaker bars.

X2 on Astro. Got a pneumatic belt sander and hole punch from them they work nice no complaints and price was right. Have had them probably close to two years now.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

i have a complete set of tekton /8 sitting on my bench to put away this week.   going to build out another box for my son when h moves out and toss a bunch of old shit. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, FrankieJames7 said:

shut the fuck up faggot. my makita tools are still kicking ass

So are my Matabo, should have save your meth'd up ass some money and got a better tool to boot!!

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, FrankieJames7 said:

yes it is

What makes it a race car??  What licenses do you have??

How many races have you been in??