Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

6 hours ago, poopooforme said:

@SayatodaU.P.eh?     I spray foamed my entire house.  All the walls.  So she is a very well insulated space.  I just cannot believe how cheap that mini split runs!  Its a fujitsu and if you go shopping mine has a "dry" mode.  It runs more but on a lower speed as it sucks the humidity out of the space.  There is a 3/4 inch drain hose outside and the water just runs out of it.  In July when its 90 degrees and humid for me to be out there in 70 degrees with 50% humidity is a God send!!!.  

IMG_20180525_123838647.jpg

Our house has spray foam in the walls as well. It has an older HVAC setup in it and the roof needs more insulation so a little work to do there. 

When I start building the shop in the barn, I will be doing spray foam on the walls there as well. 

I hear you on the humidity part. Cant stand the humidity. When I go to SW Arizona for work, it’s amazing. I can work outside all day and hardly sweat. Come home to the humidity and I’m sweating like crazy. 

• Gold Member
10 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Stopped by a Horrible Fraught to check out their big special super duper weekend sale.

Yeah, horrible.

I haven't gone in that place in over a year.  Junk.  Im sure youve seen this but...  

how-react-when-one-in-the-shopusesa-harbor-freight-tool-279702.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, poopooforme said:

I haven't gone in that place in over a year.  Junk.  Im sure youve seen this but...  

HF has it's place for certain things...especially in a pinch.  I bought a dolly in there a couple weeks ago.  Now, as far as "real tools" yeah...no.  

On 4/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I will be building this into a full blown workshop and keep trying to tell myself that I don’t need a/c in it but I finally work in a shop with a/c for a living so I’m having a really hard time talking myself out of one of those. 

F95DCFEB-EF81-4FD3-AD96-8A99E753ECC5.jpeg

Those mini splits are the balls ass.  I have 2 here at this house we bought a few years back, and they're awesome down to about 15 degrees, then the Buderus takes over.  At the last house I had a hot water Modine in the garage, and it was noisy as hell and expensive to run, so I valved it off when i wasn't using it.  In 12 years I lived there, the fucker froze up twice and had to be replaced.  One of those mini splits would have been a much better solution.  

Nice shop Poop.  Hoping in a few more years to be down sizing my house and upsizing my garage/workshop space.

49 minutes ago, poopooforme said:

Meh, it depends.  

I have their 5 drawer service cart and love it. 

I have 3 jaw pullers and the balancer puller and they have worked fine for any project I've had.

Like the flashlights for the money.

Most of my stuff isn't from there though.  Proto, Gearwrench, whatever comes in the 5 gallon bucket at the farm auction, etc.

I'm probably going to pick up their Icon branded torx socket set if it ever goes on sale again.  

54 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

HF has it's place for certain things...especially in a pinch.  I bought a dolly in there a couple weeks ago.  Now, as far as "real tools" yeah...no.  

While I do typically agree, I also have a small houses cost worth into my Snap On rig here at home. Started buying when I was 19. This June makes 25 years I’ve been turning them. All of my “real” tools are here at home now. When I got away from the desk and went back into the shop 5 years ago, I mainly bought HF and Husky stuff because my current position doesn’t necessitate a large amount of tools. The stuff that I need to work hard daily at work is now Snap-On as well. I’m doing it that way so that when I get my shop built at home, I have everything here that I need to make me a little side money and still have what I need at work. Company supplied box at work too and while it’s not luxurious, I’m perfectly fine with free. 

22 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Those mini splits are the balls ass.  I have 2 here at this house we bought a few years back, and they're awesome down to about 15 degrees, then the Buderus takes over.  At the last house I had a hot water Modine in the garage, and it was noisy as hell and expensive to run, so I valved it off when i wasn't using it.  In 12 years I lived there, the fucker froze up twice and had to be replaced.  One of those mini splits would have been a much better solution.  

Nice shop Poop.  Hoping in a few more years to be down sizing my house and upsizing my garage/workshop space.

Thanks Mark. The barn will be radiant tube heat as we are on NG here and there’s already an empty 2” conduit running out to the barn as is. The mini split would be for a/c only. I’ve only got 100 amp service out there so far so I’ll have to evaluate if it’s even possible after the shop is built. 

38D9ABF6-FE55-462B-92EB-1AF372D8EA1A.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

Oh shit....I've got a bearing puller kit and a few other things from them too.  I guess they aren't as bad as we all pretend they are.

I actually wanted my good IR 1/2” impact back at home so I bought one of the HF IR composite knock offs for work. I only really need a 1/2” at work for wheels and some light suspension work so the HF gun works perfectly fine for that. 

1 hour ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

I actually wanted my good IR 1/2” impact back at home so I bought one of the HF IR composite knock offs for work. I only really need a 1/2” at work for wheels and some light suspension work so the HF gun works perfectly fine for that. 

Every tool has it's place I suppose.  Hell, I've got a few Ryobis around here too....for rare, but needed use.

Just now, Fireball 440 said:

I bought the Baur 1050 ftlbs electric impact and the fuckers got some balls.  It's heavy though.

I just got us the big Milwaukee bad boy for the company box at work. That freaking thing is like carrying around a cylinder head. It’s deceivingly slow in reverse but god damn it has some balls. 

I’ve actually looked at a lower level HF equivalent just to toss in the truck for long road trips especially when pulling the trailers. Cut road side repair time down so the chances of getting run over by some idiot is slightly less.  

Just now, Zambroski said:

Every tool has it's place I suppose.  Hell, I've got a few Ryobis around here too....for rare, but needed use.

I’m actually seriously contemplating taking on some large house projects because A. I got TOTALLY fucked on the roof replacement I had done last fall and B. It saves us money to get more projects on the house done in a slightly shorter period of time. So, that means I need to start looking for house work tools because yeah I have like, none. 

I’m actually seriously contemplating taking on some large house projects because A. I got TOTALLY fucked on the roof replacement I had done last fall and B. It saves us money to get more projects on the house done in a slightly shorter period of time. So, that means I need to start looking for house work tools because yeah I have like, none. 

How did you "get fucked" on the roof replacement?  What went wrong there?

You'll get advice all over the map on good construction tools but, people that use them for a living will tell you to spend the money and get good shit.  I use Dewalt and it's been good to me for decades.  I've also been branging out a bit to with some Rigid, Milwaukee and Makita too though.  All are good...and clearly built for pros....and are priced accordingly.

I'm in the market for a new table saw right now....my Makita has had enough after 20 years.  Gonna prolly be another dewalt.

11 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Stopped by a Horrible Fraught to check out their big special super duper weekend sale.

Yeah, horrible.

There shit is funny . I have a few older harbor tools I bought in a pinch .

1 floor stapler doing a large hardwood floor Bostch takes a shit there is a harbor close by buy there flooring stapler.  Have had it  10 yrs or better prob 15 never been in the shop the bostch went in the trash after 3 diff trips for a rebuild .

2 larger hand heald impact/rotery hammer 

Had a bosh take a shit mid bath floor demo went got a cheep harbor wrapped up the job kept using . Prob well over 1000sf of old sand pack cement floor snd shower pan  pulled a yr with that pos for the last 8 yrs 

Just now, Zambroski said:

You'll get advice all over the map on good construction tools but, people that use them for a living will tell you to spend the money and get good shit.  I use Dewalt and it's been good to me for decades.  I've also been branging out a bit to with some Rigid, Milwaukee and Makita too though.  All are good...and clearly built for pros....and are priced accordingly.

I'm in the market for a new table saw right now....my Makita has had enough after 20 years.  Gonna prolly be another dewalt.

Fuck, where do I begin? Well, it overall looks like shit. The roof was wavy in spots before the reroof. I pointed this out and was told it was probably just the underlayment. Well, it wasn’t. Still has waves in it. They removed two skylights and I paid for all of the interior work to be done to a “ready for paint” condition the drywall mud is still not finish sanded. To top it all off, first big rain and I had a leak around the chimney. They came in December, in the pouring rain and had to tarp around the chimney. They haven’t came back to fix it yet. Bad on me for being a nice guy and trying to be understanding that it was then winter AND the owner found out he had a bunch of cancer in his neck so I figured I would give them a touch of time to get it fixed. It’s April now and I still have a tarp around the chimney. Didn’t have a leak before the roof either so there’s that. 

I don’t know much about home repairs and I don’t have a lot of friends that can lend helping hands here where we currently live but, I’m already over getting fucked on this shit. I have a lot of projects that need to be done on this house (we bought this knowing that and we’re fine with it) so I’m not going to play with these hack contractors. Not to mention, I can’t even get anyone to come give me an estimate on the current stuff I want done (siding, soffit, fascia and gutters). So, looks like I get to buy more tools and sweat it out this summer. Should be good for shedding a few lbs anyway so I can go out west next winter. :lol:

I’ve never been a dewalt fan but maybe construction work is easier on them than automotive work? I’ve always had good luck with makita and Milwaukee. I need a miter saw and honestly, I don’t see the need to spend $600 on a dewalt one when I think the Ryobi will do just fine for the lighter house project work that I plan to use it on. 

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Table saws are another thing I quit buying top $$  units and just buy a new disposable every few yrs or less  . They just get the shit kicked out of them so bad in and out of the truck and on a site . When you spend a lot of money you end up Jimmy rigging the thing together when it was relitivly cheep  you don't care so you toss it or give it to some one and grab a new one with a fence that dose not need a c clamp to work or a custom light switch to turn on and off .

Another thing I buy semi regular is miter box saws.  Those get trashed in and out of trucks and on site . Those if a big whole house or large remodel needs trimming and the current "trim" saw is over 2 yrs old I just get avnew dedicated trim saw and move the old one to a site construction saw then they move to a deck saw.  Then a dumpster 

Fuck, where do I begin? Well, it overall looks like shit. The roof was wavy in spots before the reroof. I pointed this out and was told it was probably just the underlayment. Well, it wasn’t. Still has waves in it. They removed two skylights and I paid for all of the interior work to be done to a “ready for paint” condition the drywall mud is still not finish sanded. To top it all off, first big rain and I had a leak around the chimney. They came in December, in the pouring rain and had to tarp around the chimney. They haven’t came back to fix it yet. Bad on me for being a nice guy and trying to be understanding that it was then winter AND the owner found out he had a bunch of cancer in his neck so I figured I would give them a touch of time to get it fixed. It’s April now and I still have a tarp around the chimney. Didn’t have a leak before the roof either so there’s that. 

I don’t know much about home repairs and I don’t have a lot of friends that can lend helping hands here where we currently live but, I’m already over getting fucked on this shit. I have a lot of projects that need to be done on this house (we bought this knowing that and we’re fine with it) so I’m not going to play with these hack contractors. Not to mention, I can’t even get anyone to come give me an estimate on the current stuff I want done (siding, soffit, fascia and gutters). So, looks like I get to buy more tools and sweat it out this summer. Should be good for shedding a few lbs anyway so I can go out west next winter. :lol:

That sucks.  Yeah...home built with 1/2 plywood or osb tend to say "wave" over time.  Add in possible dry rot from years of weather endurance and blamo...crap city.  Only way to really fix is replace roof (shore up/replace stringers and drop 5/8 on it.  Few do this because of the expense....and just deal with the "waves" even after fresh shingles.  Architectural shingles are highly recommended for its hide ability.  Meh...is what it is.  I've got the same issue with this old roof now on her parents house.  They used the Archi's but, it's clear the roof is in need of help.  Not sure what I am going to do with it yet.  I hate to rip off shingles that are in good shape but......I may do it anyway.

Trades are a bitch to get right now.  I'm not contracting anymore because I'm working on this house but, I could have no problem getting work if I wanted it right now.....and be booked up for months.  Only way to get it is to overpay...or, I guess pay a premium which they can demand until the housing market takes a dive...which I hope happens in the next few months (after I sell this house) but, I don't see it.  Just not enough supply right now...anywhere.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Table saws are another thing I quit buying top $$  units and just buy a new disposable every few yrs or less  . They just get the shit kicked out of them so bad in and out of the truck and on a site . When you spend a lot of money you end up Jimmy rigging the thing together when it was relitivly cheep  you don't care so you toss it or give it to some one and grab a new one with a fence that dose not need a c clamp to work or a custom light switch to turn on and off .

Another thing I buy semi regular is miter box saws.  Those get trashed in and out of trucks and on site . Those if a big whole house or large remodel needs trimming and the current "trim" saw is over 2 yrs old I just get avnew dedicated trim saw and move the old one to a site construction saw then they move to a deck saw.  Then a dumpster 

Just gonna puck up that $300 deal from HD I think.  Guy on my crew had one and it was nice...and not too spendy either. 

Yeah...my DC 12 miter has been through battle and kicked around like an immigrant child at the border!  :lol: Still, it's a beast.  Old school dewalt so, I just went through it and replaced the bearings and contacts.... it's smooth as butter again...but looks like shit.

Amazon.com: The Black Hole: V.I.N.C.E.N.T. & B.O.B. Disney Select Classic  Action Figures 2 Pack: Toys & Games

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

There shit is funny . I have a few older harbor tools I bought in a pinch .

1 floor stapler doing a large hardwood floor Bostch takes a shit there is a harbor close by buy there flooring stapler.  Have had it  10 yrs or better prob 15 never been in the shop the bostch went in the trash after 3 diff trips for a rebuild .

2 larger hand heald impact/rotery hammer 

Had a bosh take a shit mid bath floor demo went got a cheep harbor wrapped up the job kept using . Prob well over 1000sf of old sand pack cement floor snd shower pan  pulled a yr with that pos for the last 8 yrs 

I actually tossed my Bosch framer last summer.  Enough with that shit.  I've got a stapler and finish nailer from them that are good though.  :dunno: 

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Just gonna puck up that $300 deal from HD I think.  Guy on my crew had one and it was nice...and not too spendy either. 

Yeah...my DC 12 miter has been through battle and kicked around like an immigrant child at the border!  :lol: Still, it's a beast.  Old school dewalt so, I just went through it and replaced the bearings and contacts.... it's smooth as butter again...but looks like shit.

Amazon.com: The Black Hole: V.I.N.C.E.N.T. & B.O.B. Disney Select Classic  Action Figures 2 Pack: Toys & Games

Is that the Dewalt tabke that is more or less the same as the cordless one? 

I have that one table kind of small but for trim work it is fine .

I have a bit larger semi cheep delta that can rip with the fence up to 30 has a good size top and built in stand roller . Just to fucking big to haul around day in day out . And even sucks to store . It is one of those you bring to a larger job day one and forget it there for a few weeks after you wrap up lol