Check your account email address ×

FSCE Shop Talk

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I actually tossed my Bosch framer last summer.  Enough with that shit.  I've got a stapler and finish nailer from them that are good though.  :dunno: 

I have mostly Hitachi air guns . Shit I have had those for ever and a senco sheathing stapler. 

Like a long long time pretty sure I got every one of them free when I was building houses and you would get a free gun when you bought x number  a nails .

I feel bad now putting holes  in the wood it is worth to much 

32 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

There shit is funny . I have a few older harbor tools I bought in a pinch .

1 floor stapler doing a large hardwood floor Bostch takes a shit there is a harbor close by buy there flooring stapler.  Have had it  10 yrs or better prob 15 never been in the shop the bostch went in the trash after 3 diff trips for a rebuild .

2 larger hand heald impact/rotery hammer 

Had a bosh take a shit mid bath floor demo went got a cheep harbor wrapped up the job kept using . Prob well over 1000sf of old sand pack cement floor snd shower pan  pulled a yr with that pos for the last 8 yrs 

Some of the stuff there surprises me with how expensive it is.

The tool organization stuff, for example.  Many times, for the same price, or not a lot more, you can get the made in the US stuff, in a better selection of colors too.

1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

Is that the Dewalt tabke that is more or less the same as the cordless one? 

I have that one table kind of small but for trim work it is fine .

I have a bit larger semi cheep delta that can rip with the fence up to 30 has a good size top and built in stand roller . Just to fucking big to haul around day in day out . And even sucks to store . It is one of those you bring to a larger job day one and forget it there for a few weeks after you wrap up lol 

yeah...just a smaller jobsite deal.  Pretty nice for ripping shit down quick.  It's no saw mill though.  Much better after all that guard shit is ripped off.

DeWalt DWE7485 8-1/4" Compact Jobsite Table Saw | burnstools.com

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-8-1-4-in-Compact-Jobsite-Tablesaw-DWE7485/310178475?g_store=136&source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-MULTI-Multi-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-PortablePower_SmartShopping_BestSellers&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D25T-G-D25T-MULTI-Multi-NA-Feed-SMART-NA-NA-PortablePower_SmartShopping_BestSellers-71700000081284315-58700006922044996-92700062206884007&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuMXTufTz7wIVmv_jBx36vgptEAQYAiABEgLtBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

35 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Table saws are another thing I quit buying top $$  units and just buy a new disposable every few yrs or less  . They just get the shit kicked out of them so bad in and out of the truck and on a site . When you spend a lot of money you end up Jimmy rigging the thing together when it was relitivly cheep  you don't care so you toss it or give it to some one and grab a new one with a fence that dose not need a c clamp to work or a custom light switch to turn on and off .

Another thing I buy semi regular is miter box saws.  Those get trashed in and out of trucks and on site . Those if a big whole house or large remodel needs trimming and the current "trim" saw is over 2 yrs old I just get avnew dedicated trim saw and move the old one to a site construction saw then they move to a deck saw.  Then a dumpster 

That’s one of the first tools on my list, a good corded miter saw. My father gave me an old Craftsman one a while back but the guard linkage was all blown out so while chopping up some scrap with it last spring the guard hit the blade before the blade stopped exploding the guard. Good thing I had my safety glasses on. 

33 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

That sucks.  Yeah...home built with 1/2 plywood or osb tend to say "wave" over time.  Add in possible dry rot from years of weather endurance and blamo...crap city.  Only way to really fix is replace roof (shore up/replace stringers and drop 5/8 on it.  Few do this because of the expense....and just deal with the "waves" even after fresh shingles.  Architectural shingles are highly recommended for its hide ability.  Meh...is what it is.  I've got the same issue with this old roof now on her parents house.  They used the Archi's but, it's clear the roof is in need of help.  Not sure what I am going to do with it yet.  I hate to rip off shingles that are in good shape but......I may do it anyway.

Trades are a bitch to get right now.  I'm not contracting anymore because I'm working on this house but, I could have no problem getting work if I wanted it right now.....and be booked up for months.  Only way to get it is to overpay...or, I guess pay a premium which they can demand until the housing market takes a dive...which I hope happens in the next few months (after I sell this house) but, I don't see it.  Just not enough supply right now...anywhere.

It has architectural shingles on it but because it’s a 1600 sq ft single story ranch with a 30x40 attached garage, the long flat runs don’t lend themselves well to the waves. I can live with it for now but I see the house still has the original 1964 wood under the shingles so someday I may have it all redecked. 

2 hours ago, Fireball 440 said:

I bought the Baur 1050 ftlbs electric impact and the fuckers got some balls.  It's heavy though.

I'm about to use mine to swap out trailer tires.  Easier than pulling out the air tools and my battery impacts not going to bust 10 year old rusted lugs. 

Picked up a pair of 18" magnetic tool rails from the usual scumbags during their unimpressive sale this weekend.

Anyone here ever mount something like that to the side of their sled lift?  

I'm thinking it'll be handy to have.  Maybe not?

• 2 weeks later...

Decided I needed another few sets of hex and Torx sockets.

Was dead set on buying Icon from the usual scumbags, but since they are scumbags, they don't offer coopins on their stuff right meow, so I went with a highly recommended brand, Capri Tools.

Picked up 3 sets for $25/set, should be here Saturday or Monday.  

We'll see.

https://capritools.com/product-category/ratchets-sockets/hand-sockets-and-bits/bit-socket-sets/ 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Was dead set on buying Icon from the usual scumbags, but since they are scumbags, they don't offer coopins on their stuff right meow, so I went with a highly recommended brand, Capri Tools.

We'll see.

https://capritools.com/product-category/ratchets-sockets/hand-sockets-and-bits/bit-socket-sets/ 

prob still made in china by the same factory making others

I've been buying SATA which is owned by the same company as gear wrench.  so far pleased.  

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

I've been buying SATA which is owned by the same company as gear wrench.  so far pleased.  

🤔 I didn’t know Sata made hand tools? I have a sata paint gun which I thought that’s all they did unless they are two different sata companies? Tools must be good the guns definitely are.

30 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

🤔 I didn’t know Sata made hand tools? I have a sata paint gun which I thought that’s all they did unless they are two different sata companies? Tools must be good the guns definitely are.

think Sata pain guns are German made the ahand tools are decent quality chineseium

10 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

They most definitely are.  They are probably the HF Icon line rebranded and on a socket rail for all I know.  

They get pretty glowing reviews on Garagejournal, so I'm taking the chance since they are on sale.  

On 4/21/2021 at 8:24 PM, racinfarmer said:

We'll see.

Never heard of them....how about Tekton tools?

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

Never heard of them....how about Tekton tools?

I have 2 Tekton torque wrenches and a pair of their oil filter pliers. Nice tools for my use.

On 4/21/2021 at 8:24 PM, racinfarmer said:

We'll see.

I have an OTC Torx socket set. Very good quality. Have had it for years.

Everyone should have a kneeling pad. This has been a knee saver. I use these constantly and even bring it along with me in case.

I originally started using them just for when I kneel down on the concrete to set lift under cars/trucks (i hang one on the lifts safety handle so it’s not in way and always there) and then found myself using it on everything i kneel on or in. Boats/ house work/ projects  and repairs outside on gravel/stone driveways, etc, etc. I’m in a dirt/gravel road area, so this to kneel on and cardboard to lie on is very handy and good for the bod.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07L6QQD8R

A582D745-923F-4BA0-BB1B-97F4AAB0724E.png

Edited by CFM
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Getting siding quotes. not painting again.

HOLY FUCK there coming in crazy.

Building materials are crazy expensive right now put it off a year if you can.  

My contractor neighbor is being told by his main lumber yard that they expect to be out of materials in three months.

• Gold Member
20 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Getting siding quotes. not painting again.

HOLY FUCK there coming in crazy.

My coworker got his cider shake house vinyl sided last fall he’s been bitching about the cost everyday since :lol:

At least it’s one and done and you aren’t painting every few years.

Edited by 800renegaderider
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Building materials are crazy expensive right now put it off a year if you can.  

My contractor neighbor is being told by his main lumber yard that they expect to be out of materials in three months.

I know what materials are coming it as I priced them. It’s the fact they are all busy and just throwing prices out there.

31 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Both of the contractors I am close with are booked out a year or more. 

Most who quoted were out till late October. The good ones won’t hang siding in the real cold weather