Check your account email address ×

New Tech From Cat 2024

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

Cat is missing a huge opportunity with failing to put their 860/900 in the Catalyst for 2024.  Chassis-wise, they've finally caught up to BRP and Polaris but not having a 850 class sled, they're just continuing to die a slow death.  The reference to getting back to 1/3 market share is laughable, considering they have something like 11% right now.  And no @mnstang, I really don't care about market share numbers, but I know it drives you nuts so it's fun to reference :roflcrying:

Chassis wise they are now ahead of Polaris and BRP, the Catalyst is much more innovative with much less rolling friction. Not only that the Polaris and BRP chassis are long in the tooth, Matryx and G5's aren't a new chassis.
As far as the motor, its not uncommon for a new chassis to release with only one engine. When the Rush released in 2010, a big deal for Polaris at the time, it only released with a 600.

And dying a slow death? Maybe if they kept releasing a 10 year old chassis with a unproven 800 while the competition has 850's. Thats all history now, rumors its atleast an 880-920 CC with an optional Turbo, and Cat have learned a thing or two making thier own engines now, the CTEC 600 is solid.

Edited by stinkipinki
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Chassis wise they are now ahead of Polaris and BRP, the Catalyst is much more innovative with much less rolling friction. Not only that the Polaris and BRP chassis are long in the tooth, Matryx and G5's aren't a new chassis.
As far as the motor, its not uncommon for a new chassis to release with only one engine. When the Rush released in 2010, a big deal for Polaris at the time, it only released with a 600.

Lets see if they can get a first year version of it to stay together for 5000 miles.  I still have the stank in my mouth from my 12 procross.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Chassis wise they are now ahead of Polaris and BRP, the Catalyst is much more innovative with much less rolling friction.

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself. Wait until production models get to customers first. Until then it's all just conjecture. They haven't even sold a single one yet and you claim they are already ahead of the competition.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

Lets see if they can get a first year version of it to stay together for 5000 miles.  I still have the stank in my mouth from my 12 procross.

My chassis on my 15 has been great. What chassis issues did you have with your 12?

16 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

And dying a slow death? Maybe if they kept releasing a 10 year old chassis with a unproven 800 while the competition has 850's. Thats all history now, rumors its atleast an 880-920 CC with an optional Turbo, and Cat have learned a thing or two making thier own engines now, the CTEC 600 is solid.

Chassis wise they will catch up in 2024. Lets not pretend this is a "new concept", Polaris and Skidoo have had this chassis out for a decade now. 

The lay down engine is about the only difference and not sure if that is even that big of a difference to go thru all of the headache to have intake and exhaust on the same side to stuff it down in there. But lets be honest, this is a green 2017 skidoo with less tech. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

You're sounding like the old stinki from the HCS days ... don't be that guy :roflcrying:  Claiming the Catalyst is the new measuring stick, without a single production model on the snow is just crazy talk.  If it's a homerun, so be it, but to claim it's the best of the best and so much more innovative is fanboi type of commentary (in other words, Ramstad level dumb).

• Like 1

I liked the 600 a lot, and I think the wife needs a new sled (that I'll get to ride whenever I want).  

For those who prefer to wait for a bigger engine in the Catalyst, I believe there will be something worth waiting for.

• Like 1

That's the problem.  For the majority of enthusiasts in the sport this sled is still a waiting game.  Wait to see if all of the hype about engine placement or rolling resistance equates to anything meaningful.  If the balance and handling is actually better or just playing catch up.  If cat can actually design and build an engine that will compete with what has already been out in the market for a long time already. 

Going to be at least a year before we know anything real world about the chassis and only god knows when that big bore engine will be available and more importantly - PROVEN.

12 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

I don't care what I sound like.
I care what I see and whats true.

It's not 2022 anymore...some of ya'll posting like it is.

Notice how they have the chick say “this thing rips” :lol: there isn’t one single man in the entire world that rides the mountain segment and orders a fucking 600 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

You are a fucking retard , squeezing on an 850 even for 100’ is 1000x more fun than some lame ass 600cc bitch sled

hey now!  

said the guy who still enjoys his 500

:roflcrying:

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

As far as the 600 vs. 800/850 talk goes, I'm in rare agreement with Ben.  Yes, the 600's (or in my case last year, a 650) is fantastic in the tight and twisty stuff.  But over half of the Northwoods riding is NOT tight & twisty ... it's forest roads, straight stretches, ditches with nice approaches in them, and lakes.  The 600/650 is not the same thing, and gets boring pretty quick.  I guess, maybe if you weight 140 pounds, it might still scratch the itch.  But no way, no how, does the 600/650 fill the void of the 800/850 class sleds.  That lesson was an expensive one for me to learn from last season to this season.  And for those that don't realize it yet, it's an 800 market now (been that way for years), or bigger powered sleds.  The 600's are nowhere near as relevant as they were 10 years ago.  Just look at the parking lots full of sleds next time you're out there.

Cat is missing a huge opportunity with failing to put their 860/900 in the Catalyst for 2024.  Chassis-wise, they've finally caught up to BRP and Polaris but not having a 850 class sled, they're just continuing to die a slow death.  The reference to getting back to 1/3 market share is laughable, considering they have something like 11% right now.  And no @mnstang, I really don't care about market share numbers, but I know it drives you nuts so it's fun to reference :roflcrying:

Jenny Craig failed?  :(

Could you keep up with a skilled rider on a 600 with your hypersled in a distance race that involves turning the handlebars?

Agree on not bringing the big bore the first season though, just from a perception pov if they want to attract new buyers or the one's they've lost... even if they do a surprise mid year release it would do something to help.    

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

Fact is todays riders are expecting more from sleds today and not just performance.   Tech is a big seller from engines to suspension to gauges to accessories.   I said it when Cat introduced the new sled it was a mistake not being ready to be equal to Poo in Doo in some of those other categories' and I still feel the same way.  They have had plenty of time to have a new big bore engine and gauge package ready.   Can you get the smart suspension on the new sled?   If so bravo to them if not they are just going backwards.  If sleds have 10 yr old power and tech then they should be closer to 10 yr old pricing.

Thing is about new tech is it might start off on upper end models but eventually it works it way down across the model lineup.  Besides the smart suspension what the last big thing Cat has produced?   Probably the 1100 Turbo.   That's not much in 14-15 years.     

fuck the tech, fuck e-start, fuck fit and finish and fuck watered down people pleasers... Cat used to focus on performance first and foremost, that's what the Cat diehards want.... imo

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Notice how they have the chick say “this thing rips” :lol: there isn’t one single man in the entire world that rides the mountain segment and orders a fucking 600 

The cool chick my son grew up with that lives in BC  rides a 165" khaos 9r , had an  165" 850 last year. She's not a big girl either. No way would she buy a 600.

Just now, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’ve had a couple SP 500’s and enjoyed riding them…call me what you want.

I’ve enjoyed riding all kinds of things but given the choice when buying new there is zero , absolutely zero reason to buy a 600 for a grown man 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Nobody pretends the 600 can keep up with the big boys.  You're trying to read someone's mind.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I’ve enjoyed riding all kinds of things but given the choice when buying new there is zero , absolutely zero reason to buy a 600 for a grown man 

There's also no reason for a grown man to buy an electric bicycle.

• Haha 1

Back on topic:  The new gauge is a step in the right direction (I'm talking about the new for 2024 gauge that Cat keeps trying to sneak into photos and video, but people keep pretending they don't see). 

If I were Heidi, I would not want to compete directly with Ski Doo and Polaris on the display front.  There's no way Arctic Cat can get anywhere close to the fancy pants displays with their obviously lower R&D budget.

A better strategy for Cat is to partner with a big GPS name and develop their own gauge.  Let the big name license it to others in motorsports to recoup the cost of development.  Meanwhile, it costs Cat a fraction and allows them to have something worthy of the market.  The Tread, in my opinion, is a stopgap solution until an integrated display can be developed.

This is where I think they're headed and partnering with Garmin makes perfect sense.  The instrument panel on the Catalyst is much bigger than the new gauge and is nice and flat - perfect for a much larger display.  They didn't tell me anything, all I'm doing is guessing, based on what I saw.

In aviation, manufacturers don't put their own branded gauges in new airplanes.  That's not the question you ask when you buy one.  You don't need to ask who made it, all you need to do is ask which model it is.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, p51mstg said:

Back on topic:  The new gauge is a step in the right direction (I'm talking about the new for 2024 gauge that Cat keeps trying to sneak into photos and video, but people keep pretending they don't see). 

If I were Heidi, I would not want to compete directly with Ski Doo and Polaris on the display front.  There's no way Arctic Cat can get anywhere close to the fancy pants displays with their obviously lower R&D budget.

A better strategy for Cat is to partner with a big GPS name and develop their own gauge.  Let the big name license it to others in motorsports to recoup the cost of development.  Meanwhile, it costs Cat a fraction and allows them to have something worthy of the market.  The Tread, in my opinion, is a stopgap solution until an integrated display can be developed.

This is where I think they're headed and partnering with Garmin makes perfect sense.  The instrument panel on the Catalyst is much bigger than the new gauge and is nice and flat - perfect for a much larger display.  They didn't tell me anything, all I'm doing is guessing, based on what I saw.

In aviation, manufacturers don't put their own branded gauges in new airplanes.  That's not the question you ask when you buy one.  You don't need to ask who made it, all you need to do is ask which model it is.

So coming out with a "revolutionary" NEW chassis that looks almost identical to what has already been offered by other OEM's for years now WITHOUT all of the other cool stuff that has been out for years now somehow makes this cat a "game changer"?

LOL Okay

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Anler said:

So coming out with a "revolutionary" NEW chassis that looks almost identical to what has already been offered by other OEM's for years now WITHOUT all of the other cool stuff that has been out for years now somehow makes this cat a "game changer"?

LOL Okay

Strawman says what?

27 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I’ve had a couple SP 500’s and enjoyed riding them…call me what you want.

enlightened... sorry if I hurt your feeling

26 minutes ago, f7ben said:

ego... those don't like being crushed

23 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

There's also no reason for a grown man to buy an electric bicycle.

fit's perfectly in todays society... less effort

17 minutes ago, Anler said:

LOL Okay

he rode it... actually he rode a bunch of them.  

wait... we're talking about GAYges... nevermind. 

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

My chassis on my 15 has been great. What chassis issues did you have with your 12?

I bought a 12 XF1100 turbo and my brother bought an XF800.  No real chassis issues but drive train was another issue.  1700 miles no belts, then it was every weekend a 220 dollar belt.  Only other new cat i ever owned was a 2001 ZR800le, another first year effort, which like the Procross, handled and worked great, but neither were very well sorted out build quality wise.

23 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Yeah but Polaris has had an integrated nav since the 16 model year

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I bought a 12 XF1100 turbo and my brother bought an XF800.  No real chassis issues but drive train was another issue.  1700 miles no belts, then it was every weekend a 220 dollar belt.  Only other new cat i ever owned was a 2001 ZR800le, another first year effort, which like the Procross, handled and worked great, but neither were very well sorted out build quality wise.

Where you stock when you started having issues? I'm running a aftermarket turbo and have no problems. Mines a Yamaha drive train though.

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I agree, Polaris is too far ahead.  Our General has the first gen Ride Command and it's practically a work of art, I love that thing.  The 7S looks awesome, we were drooling over that at Hay Days this year.  There's no way for Arctic Cat to spend a fraction of the money (which is what they would do, let's face it) and make a respectable run at competing against that. 

Even BRP is playing catchup to Polaris.  To me, Polaris owns that part of the business.  The only way out is to not compete directly.  The only way to do that is partner with someone.  If it's not Garmin, then I'd give Polaris a call and see how much it would take to license the 7S from them.  A Polaris display in the Catalyst is better than not doing anything, in my opinion.

• Like 1