Check your account email address ×

New Tech From Cat 2024

37 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

It's an okay engine. Not the best 800 made by a long shot, not the worst. Average.
Lots of detonation issues for years when they had to meet EPA compliance, atleast Doo gave up on the PowerTek all together and just focused on making the ETEC last 4000 miles before needing a topend.

No there isnt LOTS of detonation issues. The PTEK was garbage, the etecs have been great. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stinkipinki said:

SkiDoo's reliability is average at best. Had it not been for Cat's fuckup the first few years with their CTEC 800, you could possibly claim Doo is the worst. The ETEC's had trouble for years and the PowerTeks are junkyard sleds.

I ride with Cat guys and I have been to every cat dealer in northern wisconsin and the UP for emergency repairs/parts/service, etc... Never once had a hiccup on any of my skidoos. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, Anler said:

I ride with Cat guys and I have been to every cat dealer in northern wisconsin and the UP for emergency repairs/parts/service, etc... Never once had a hiccup on any of my skidoos. 

Piles of miles on a PTek and 2 Etec's.   Only hiccup was a plug fouling after running its summer fogging program. 

47 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Dude you are out to lunch.  Doo dominates technology that has stood the test of time. 

Doo innovations whether they designed them or implemented them in sleds first.

To name a few in no particular order.

Rave Valves (every 2 stroke now has them)

Rotary Valves

Altitude compensating carbs.   Yes I realize Cat had EFI but also had a firm patent on it.

Rider Forward

First Mt. specific snowmobile (even though it was a piece of shit in deep snow)

T-motion and flex edge track.   (pushed Cat to the single rail)

Linq Q accessories (debatable if anyone has equalled it yet)

Engine reverse.   Again every single 2 stroke sled has it today.

Factory 2 stroke turbo

SDI (basically every 2 stroke has some version of it today)

Primary Clutch with external shift/RPM adjustments. (TRA)

You forgot 

ETEC

Smart shocks

SHOT

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Anler said:

You forgot 

ETEC

Smart shocks

SHOT

:bc:  Yep....and the list goes on and on.   Really no brand even comes close to comparing. 

Edited by Highmark

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

:bc:  Yep....and the list goes on and on.   Really no brand even comes close to comparing. 

You can’t give skidoo the first turbo 2s. That goes to Polaris 

• Like 1

SkiDoo's reliability is average at best. Had it not been for Cat's fuckup the first few years with their CTEC 800, you could possibly claim Doo is the worst. The ETEC's had trouble for years and the PowerTeks are junkyard sleds.

I think you would have more credibility if you would acknowledge cat has a less than average reliability rating.  Doo worst?  No way.  

2 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I think you would have more credibility if you would acknowledge cat has a less than average reliability rating.  Doo worst?  No way.  

Some of the motors that have come in cats have been great , cat has never made any of them though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The first REV's were junk. They were tippy, nosed dived in corners and didn't fit large riders well. The 800's were also an issue for many years, complete junk sleds. It wasn't until the 600SDI engine and chassis tweaks they handled and drove worth a fuck. The Firecats handled just as good if not better, were much faster and much more reliable, out of the 03, which was fast as fuck, but like the first year REV, also had its share of issues.

I came off a 2001 ZR 800 that literally started to fall apart in year two. The self tapping wood screws were a real nice quality touch, one with a bumper that you could literally rip right off the sled if you pulled hard enough. I sold that and bought a 2003 Rev 600 X, well not as fast was twice the snowmobile of that ZR. I know you have had your head in the glue bag if you think a first year or two of the fire cats did not handle like ass. Fast in a straight line sure, good luck getting one to turn  I had a couple buddies who struggled all year trying to get those things to handle.

1 hour ago, stinkipinki said:

It's an okay engine. Not the best 800 made by a long shot, not the worst. Average.
Lots of detonation issues for years when they had to meet EPA compliance, atleast Doo gave up on the PowerTek all together and just focused on making the ETEC last 4000 miles before needing a topend.

I have zero doubt in my mind that skidoo makes the best 850 class two stroke right now. Smooth, quiet, good on gas and not that hard on oil if you’re cruising.   I really like the arctic cat 800 HO motor that they had a few years back when Suzuki was putting them together. Have not been impressed with  Cat motor, although the flames shooting out of the exhaust pipe with a nice touch.

1 hour ago, stinkipinki said:

I am not trying to slam any brand. I slam them all.  I like Doo but I don't sugarcoat shit.
One of my buddies was very upset to hear that Polaris's crank bearings still come from and say what on them? Made in Japan.

You haven’t spent much time slamming arctic cat, who arguably deserves the most criticism among the four manufacturers

2 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Some of the motors that have come in cats have been great , cat has never made any of them though. 

exactly

Doo didnt release the first rider forward design. Rotary engines had lots of issues. Reverse and mountain sled def not first, powder special came out early 90s before the summit.  Cat had EFi before doo had SDI. Cat had wishbone aws while doo ran trailing arm.

Doo is rarely the one innovating or pushing the boundaries, that belongs to Cat.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

I came off a 2001 ZR 800 that literally started to fall apart in year two. The self tapping wood screws were a real nice quality touch, one with a bumper that you could literally rip right off the sled if you pulled hard enough. I sold that and bought a 2003 Rev 600 X, well not as fast was twice the snowmobile of that ZR. I know you have had your head in the glue bag if you think a first year or two of the fire cats did not handle like ass. Fast in a straight line sure, good luck getting one to turn  I had a couple buddies who struggled all year trying to get those things to handle.

I have zero doubt in my mind that skidoo makes the best 850 class two stroke right now. Smooth, quiet, good on gas and not that hard on oil if you’re cruising.   I really like the arctic cat 800 HO motor that they had a few years back when Suzuki was putting them together. Have not been impressed with  Cat motor, although the flames shooting out of the exhaust pipe with a nice touch.

You haven’t spent much time slamming arctic cat, who arguably deserves the most criticism among the four manufacturers

exactly

The 850 patriot is the real deal , I’d take it over the etec. Not quite as smooth at idle but easily as smooth everywhere else and it feels stronger mid to top

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

The 850 patriot is the real deal , I’d take it over the etec. Not quite as smooth at idle but easily as smooth everywhere else and it feels stronger mid to top

I havent been too impressed with the 850 so far but maybe thats because they put garbage bearings in there LOL. My 800 was giving them fits last week. 

12 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Doo didnt release the first rider forward design. Rotary engines had lots of issues. Reverse and mountain sled def not first, powder special came out early 90s before the summit.  Cat had EFi before doo had SDI. Cat had wishbone aws while doo ran trailing arm.

Doo is rarely the one innovating or pushing the boundaries, that belongs to Cat.

ROFL.  You are delusional

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

ROFL.  You are delusional

Which part? Doo still running trailing arm in 02 when Cat has wishbone in 95? Or Cat having an 800 EFI (ZR 800 EFI) years before Doo had SDI (04/05 SDI)?

Doo is a nice all around average machine. True 20 years ago, true today.

Edited by stinkipinki

1 hour ago, Anler said:

No there isnt LOTS of detonation issues. The PTEK was garbage, the etecs have been great. 

The 800etecs still had crank issues. Especially mountain sleds. 

10 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Which part? Doo still running trailing arm in 03 when Cat has wishbone in 95? Or Cat having an 800 EFI (ZR 800 EFI) years before Doo had SDI (04/05 SDI)?

Polaris had efi before cat.

4 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

The 800etecs still had crank issues. Especially mountain sleds. 

I've "heard" about crank issues but never met anyone who had any issues with it. I've owned a couple of them. I sold one to my buddy and he is still riding it with over 10k miles on it. I traded in my 2015 etec 800 with about 7k on it for the 2018 assault (which I am still riding)

I've "heard" about crank issues but never met anyone who had any issues with it. I've owned a couple of them. I sold one to my buddy and he is still riding it with over 10k miles on it. I traded in my 2015 etec 800 with about 7k on it for the 2018 assault (which I am still riding)

Ya it was hit or miss. It was the isolated flex grease they used on the bearings.  Sometimes it lasted, sometimes it didn't.

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Ya it was hit or miss. It was the isolated flex grease they used on the bearings.  Sometimes it lasted, sometimes it didn't.

I dont know what the deal was with those bearings. From the instances I read about the crank was out of spec. 

I dont know what the deal was with those bearings. From the instances I read about the crank was out of spec. 

Any failure I had with the crank was bearing failure. All mountain sleds though. I had 2 go with less than 400 miles.

:lol: