Check your account email address ×

wrenchin sleds !!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111 not beginner lessons!!11

f7ben

18 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Bought something fun to wrench on.

couple small cracks in the hood and it won’t idle.

A026C84E-7D15-4515-8AEA-DE585661460D.thumb.jpeg.9d43b4abdc24a78d8414ed630b2d3c7b.jpeg

Can't decide if I'm going with a kitty cat or 120 for the boy. Let me know of you plan on selling it. :bc:

1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

A026C84E-7D15-4515-8AEA-DE585661460D.thumb.jpeg.9d43b4abdc24a78d8414ed630b2d3c7b.jpeg

That’s awesome.  I saw one on Craig’s that looked decent for $650.  I’d like to find one to tinker with myself.  Hell, even if it didn’t run I could restore it and hang it in my garage!

:bc:

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The one I bought for my son years ago also didn't like to idle. I think I just cleaned the carb up and ran some Seafoam through it but it still wouldn't idle that good. When my son was ready to ride, I made sure he was ready to go right after I started it. Once underway it ran great but if he stopped for any longer than a minute, it would stall again. 

IIRC, it was a bit of bitch getting it to start when cold as well.

Edited by irv

9 hours ago, irv said:

The one I bought for my son years ago also didn't like to idle. I think I just cleaned the carb up and ran some Seafoam through it but it still wouldn't idle that good. When my son was ready to ride, I made sure he was ready to go right after I started it. Once underway it ran great but if he stopped for any longer than a minute, it would stall again. 

Both of the kids sleds I had were hard to start and idled rough because they spent most of their life just sitting in the garage. Once you ran some gas thru them and actually rode the sled they ran fine.

Buttoned together and brought back to life just a bit ago.  Oh...so....delicious!!!

Related image

Oct Fire Up.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Edmo said:

Both of the kids sleds I had were hard to start and idled rough because they spent most of their life just sitting in the garage. Once you ran some gas thru them and actually rode the sled they ran fine.

The one I had took a lot of playing with the choke in and out. Once it finally started, the choke in and out continued until warm. I ran more than a few tanks of gas through that thing and it never changed. Could have had something to do with the year I suppose but from the reading I did, my issues were common. 

https://www.kittycatsnowmobiles.com/techhelp/index.php

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

• Platinum Contributing Member
46 minutes ago, Fireball 440 said:

I see you have awesome "go fast" stickers.  I've been removing many of mine, it's got the AMSOIL race wrap on it.

Where the hell have you been? ✌🏻

Got the brake assembly back in the crossfire tonight. I couldn't believe it, the bearings were $75 each from a bearing supplier and only $55 each from Arctic cat. Not often the stealership is cheaper. 

My reed pedals came in for the switchback today. So I will be doing that up sometime this week.

1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

I see you have awesome "go fast" stickers.  I've been removing many of mine, it's got the AMSOIL race wrap on it.

Every sticker adds 2.5 hp!!  Monster stickers add 10!!!   This lil’ 6 is a turbo killer now!!!!!!

:lol:

How you been, bro?

5 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Got the brake assembly back in the crossfire tonight. I couldn't believe it, the bearings were $75 each from a bearing supplier and only $55 each from Arctic cat. Not often the stealership is cheaper. 

My reed pedals came in for the switchback today. So I will be doing that up sometime this week.

I get bearings from McMaster-Carr or Fastenal.  Even crank bearings for my 292 came from McMaster.  

Edited by racinfarmer

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Fireball 440 said:

I want an update about those Ford plow trucks you were piecing together..

Still running??

:bc:

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

I get bearing from McMaster-Carr or Fastenal.  Even crank bearings for my 292 came from McMaster.  

I didn't realize McMaster Carr sold to regular people. The only time I even heard of them was at an old job I had in a machine/automation shop and they ordered material from them. 

Arctic Cat had the bearing in stock, so that was the only upside, no waiting.

On 10/6/2018 at 9:31 AM, AKIQPilot said:

Hey Tom, I don't know how to tag so I quoted you lol. I am putting in new reed petals and having a problem. When I test fit the reeds, they fit flat. When I put in the inside reed retainer it pushes the petals open. Is this normal?

15397442915805057555255169066089.jpg

38 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

Hey Tom, I don't know how to tag so I quoted you lol. I am putting in new reed petals and having a problem. When I test fit the reeds, they fit flat. When I put in the inside reed retainer it pushes the petals open. Is this normal?

15397442915805057555255169066089.jpg

No. The reeds need to sit flat on the block. They need to seal completely. Any light shining through as you look through the carb side is not good on brand new reeds. 

15 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

No. The reeds need to sit flat on the block. They need to seal completely. Any light shining through as you look through the carb side is not good on brand new reeds. 

Shit. I have tried them every which way. Cleaned the surfaces good. I can't find anything wrong .Both reeds have the same issue.

Is it a big of a deal on a cfi sled vs a carb?

Here is where they are at right now.

20181016_213641_HDR.jpg

20181016_213607_HDR.jpg

20181016_213507_HDR.jpg

20181016_213602_HDR.jpg

20181016_213445_HDR.jpg

20181016_213449.jpg

20181016_213514_HDR.jpg

20181016_213517_HDR.jpg

On 10/15/2018 at 6:39 PM, Reevester said:

Can't decide if I'm going with a kitty cat or 120 for the boy. Let me know of you plan on selling it. :bc:

Go 120, I picked up a KC for the grandkids and the damn thing was always getting stuck.

On 10/15/2018 at 8:13 PM, irv said:

Ours didn't like to idle either, so I increased the idle speed, the engine dying was fixed on our sled by replacing the coil.

5 minutes ago, Mileage Psycho said:

Go 120, I picked up a KC for the grandkids and the damn thing was always getting stuck.

Ours didn't like to idle either, so I increased the idle speed, the engine dying was fixed on our sled by replacing the coil.

That's my thinking as well.