Check your account email address ×

What's for dinner???

Just now, steve from amherst said:

TRying something new with this roast. 500 degrees for 12 minutes , then shut off oven and leave it in for 2-1/2 hrs. 

I've tried that method and it works pretty good. I find that the low and slow method works best for us. Nicole prefers her beef med rare and I always cooked it more on the rare side because that's the way I like it. By cooking low and slow I don't mind med rare because it's med rare throughout rather than being rare in the middle and more well done toward the edges.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I've tried that method and it works pretty good. I find that the low and slow method works best for us. Nicole prefers her beef med rare and I always cooked it more on the rare side because that's the way I like it. By cooking low and slow I don't mind med rare because it's med rare throughout rather than being rare in the middle and more well done toward the edges.

We cook it at 425 for 12 mins and then at 275 til its done.  Got to get my smoker ready soon.

1 minute ago, ArcticCrusher said:

We cook it at 425 for 12 mins and then at 275 til its done.  Got to get my smoker ready soon.

We usually brown our roasts in a cast iron pan before throwing them in a 225-275 oven. Your way works too :thumb:

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

We usually brown our roasts in a cast iron pan before throwing them in a 225-275 oven. Your way works too :thumb:

We used to do that but switched a little while ago.  Your way is a bit better, this is a bit simpler.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckf said:

We reverse seared some steaks that we cut from a hunk of tenderloin for dinner last night. Roast pork, mashed taters & gravy and baby carrots tonight :bc:

I've kind of settled on this method for steaks for the time being.

Pat dry, season, put on a grate in the fridge and let them sit in there until you are getting close to cooking.

Pull out 1-2 hours before you are ready to cook to warm up.

Get the broiler ripping good with the cast iron pan pre-heating in it.

Sear steaks in cast iron pan, finish to desired doneness in broiler. 

Helps if you have thick steaks, not some half inch store cut thing. 

5 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Pat dry, season, put on a grate in the fridge and let them sit in there until you are getting close to cooking.

that is a pretty traditional method from start to finish and yields good results 

5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

that is a pretty traditional method from start to finish and yields good results 

Tried a variety of different ways on the cast iron and with the overnight dry time, it seems to yield the best results.  Plus it makes the fridge smell like a awesome steak.

Used to just pat it dry, season, and go to town on the pan. 

11 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Got this from a friend....not sure if true but I'm sticking with regular carrots from now on...

IMG_3873.thumb.PNG.d76f410a05d959dce947195e138eaced.PNG

I'd  guess the person who posted that puts much worse things for their health into their bodies every day.

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

I'd  guess the person who posted that puts much worse things for their health into their bodies every day.

Yeah but is that how baby carrots are made?

6 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Yeah but is that how baby carrots are made?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_carrot

1. To reduce microbial contamination, "baby-cut" carrots may be treated with small amounts of chlorine.[4] Those that are so treated will be subsequently rinsed with potable water to remove the excess chlorine before being packaged.[4] According to the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, the use of chlorine as an antimicrobial treatment (similar to the chlorination of drinking water) is a current accepted practice in the processing for all fresh-cut ready-to-eat vegetables.[5]

26 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Got this from a friend....not sure if true but I'm sticking with regular carrots from now on...

IMG_3873.thumb.PNG.d76f410a05d959dce947195e138eaced.PNG

I've actually heard the same thing, years ago. Never looked into it, but I'll stick to my garden or full bought carrots. On the other hand, who gives a shit, everything causes cancer nowadays?? :suicide:

4 minutes ago, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot said:

I've actually heard the same thing, years ago. Never looked into it, but I'll stick to my garden or full bought carrots. On the other hand, who gives a shit, everything causes cancer nowadays?? :suicide:

I prefer regular carrots and always have.....I converted the baby carrot lover over to my side with that chlorine post. :lol:

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, racinfarmer said:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/baby-carrots/

On 3/25/2018 at 7:28 PM, racinfarmer said:

i do the pan in the winter,  sear on high on cooktop right into the oven for 6-8 minutes.  do filets that way all the time only way IMO to cook them right,  not a big fan but the wife likes them

16 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Like a moron I closed the lid. Burned the ribs and lit my fucking grill on fire.

:sad:

Wings and pizza.....

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, steve from amherst said:

Like a moron I closed the lid. Burned the ribs and lit my fucking grill on fire.

why don't you go to WAL-MART tomorrow afternoon around 4 PM in your truck, and buy another grill?????