Check your account email address ×

*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

Rode out of Two Harbors today.  Left about 9, wasn't too many sleds out.  Hotels are packed but not many sleds.  Sounds like a hockey tournament here this weekend.   Topped up with fuel in Finland and headed up to the Tressel.  The NSST was good all the way to Tomahawk when I turned off to get to the Trestle.  

The Tomahawk hadn't been groomed at all.  Lots of 3 foot rollers.  As I got towards the road the snow was DEEP.   Guys with mountain sleds buried with their buddies digging them out.  It was tough just getting there the snow was deep.  I beat a group of 12 there and got my lunch order in.  By the time I left the lot must have had 20 sleds in it.  Getting back to the NSST was a lot easier than a couple hours earlier.

Made my way back to Two Harbors.  Ran short on fuel so I stopped at the Voyageurs club off highway 2 to fuel up.  175 miles total and I'm feeling it.  Trails were getting soft and whooped out by Silver Bay but were better towards Two Harbors.  Trails will only get better as more grooming is done and colder weather helps set things up.

gbOVoTpfa6pbk8gSXdqlrSaiXx_o7RwokqDA8HegYIIQrzHi1ZDbcyMyj_R9iE0Rm8wonknzf-Ibhymk0fjodpI4zwJ-QIZjySVLmuel-c6uiXdgEo0fBv2ht7hbNYswqbAs6kj1gOzk9bzukL-HZaSqFh048Tjy5pUUZpinPrjfyLIP6AXpFpxuHMVl3EIGj71X-Eh8z_JaufN3WBCMxcntDlwOOdk-vu5MKZzvSv2665f52RJaTxUZViF0FWwd6Ysrgsndx-4sAnnY8Sp1Yiw47NoQZ0wyxljlyXnPUL_j2d0IOMi-W6xOyTSQ4jen51Gr_4RD0-L2VlDBxAXvHmaul10hmMMX-INjyCN9bVafgsa6tB1pGAddstBrgv0dGVHwwsI3A0WyGvL6k_Bqrk8Yz5BrOnpQa0UEzhwVWzsbaGlmfwteB-0toEfL_ugyBNCPbwAUzXXKvXUMFib5bYYkj4MBAAO4Hq9oip41eZJsdm4_JAogXO8UjXd6ZBblE28dn1NMO6VEm3Yb4LMnFoHFvzhcl-yejYD1Ttd1o0TWIgzKI43jUpNL81VqjHOiQhvDJoIAuro3itgzo3uUtEfICGpYXM1P8cuk5ye7vhId5SXdJdJ7ApOqqc4g4vpGI1o3MqHCaGYLY2leEoP5OQPyb-l2Qo1EmHscI7TZNqTKHYsKDAJjIXA=w1204-h903-no

0C7aLVioyWi5FW_NGOSYrsYmEcmMrea_WTgXnUsw1XiMqpNG5WWqaJdRwJr1MFZFeKYz5o8Krjxw2eNWOzTmIzajK4OCAzuVLbrkgeVAKEfs2SK-5BbVxvMF9TsUpD2TL_aJCcnseQkp6sRuS91VFQQop01hMmPnO4PMPIw2cSyC54LRc3ey7JGK5C4VVYYU0LsimpAd4GteysYiw6p5Ya0XldOY8RZqfwWXysqARzkc6-LOYzCSBK02aL46-ebLZzkiAUUiCtzCxO4dG8nC_6co-VvYRHfYmS5dS1m6SHKk-gW6PqVs7K2me6-etRu55M38p5pVPVydqnv-01NmoRSc_URBfjAb7u82nF1RJhA1Yu-TsjNFPWAFD-X2XQpVgTSFHK-Se1hYQSGXjna2ca6xpMF_tZZcNP3rqcBBtl6pcI38ZnqX8i_eCxApgFntRGRwxtsUeIVcdHrNWDEkkA1DQwXgOaWYglNeow-yJrOXbhpwMtUQQkWQOcImXHp4WFYMDJ0B24F6U1FJ5vmDtAOiYZ-p6HYqdFDCDQAXmepuJellXgudNIi-N4lqBDCQxm5GfqrXbaYtoHIfGIS9IXp_CzbTvKuhTWgsz3MzY9jfmkXpEd-Mni3wvJhpd4A7T8ok23WeN4N-TqUg8ep4kADemDTKiC9IaYOolB2ats8h9O2Dng6I6BM=w1204-h903-no

Q3JmTIsxMJHBjRTRC9e5wbMzUyPsC2mriM2gH7Mc4T5chmBOpFwU71yjdbjOSurCYVHTBPJ9s-uZ4QjrcAzeDEmgmDp_oDClBMA_J9sICUiCyplGtZfdVR90rLCnUkAmOm2qZ7EXArpWCyhg9TpzYCvcny5hpf_ErZQX4Va3dg8sNGfKTxAZWvjjMWtWoXtd2vvgsj8cavfiYjmz4TOWA0r1UiOttFk2TTBda-LwrJ4LtkKqIr1DoX7duUppgqBS5xZSkiL9gU63fuWDX8kV430CzjBJJvewwONwpX5RBBk_UliEX23NJ1vHDFB-0xu4NDKOZ1YIzzcYojVuN7RgMpeSim4Nn0td7sX75Zc5ajc0kovZdcNSsyNzZ-TAF8j2LdH4eaGQ5JEpwNgsf0n1Co2CCtYnorVarIyaO2qiUDaNWG4nV48frAPHoA8vPcsIdZkUKC7m1nF-ssPOjmm3kedXMbfrFJSbtcwBNn-EiR5aBCX6AzdI6PkiP1fD375TOjpiRKvidPW3PfVmxfltVYzIM5zflxXVZFKMCa5DXb0QcrGo0sWxUUTS-DCNuwFTKX72EPgIzBn3KpM41Vqbd7dgUn5R395pL2nGEcoj445eo6ApzVTVSyZ0ibQHWu6DchgKaayqGVKP0hGiNoRdcb0xDF3eqjb7Rsjh9r4X7vSX_phcO7RYpa0=w1204-h903-no

• Like 1

thewayout, holyshit nice gem! most of 91 indy 500SP I have seen are clapped out and they usually still want $800 for it lol , I think another model you should try to find in gem condition like your 500 SP would be 93 XCR 440 , beautiful red color but most of them I have seen gets faded by the sun. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

thewayout, holyshit nice gem! most of 91 indy 500SP I have seen are clapped out and they usually still want $800 for it lol , I think another model you should try to find in gem condition like your 500 SP would be 93 XCR 440 , beautiful red color but most of them I have seen gets faded by the sun. 

:bc: 

I bought that sled from the original owner for $725. :lol: It was owned by an old guy that stored them in his beautiful heated indoor garage. It only has 4k on it and that’s with me riding 1000 miles of that.

my first sled I ever rode was a 1991 indy 500 SP. unfortunately we sold it probably 18 years ago now, but it was also in very nice shape. Since then I’ve been looking for one like I have now.

My current one is in even better shape then my original too. All new drivetrain bearings, brake upgrades, small factory style riser, some woodys 1” megabite studs, new 6” carbides. It’s a nice setup for a local sled or vintage ride. I’m keeping all original minus the wilwood master cylinder. It’s actually surprising how much power it has considering it’s only 72 :lol: 

here’s my original 91 indy 500 sp taken in probably 2001ish?. I loved the SP graphics. This was a rare sled. 91 was the first year (and only carb year) of the 500 SP and not many were made.  I liked the wider ski stance and black tunnel they had. now i have just the indy 500 standard version.

4D577D33-515D-4425-92D6-24072C62C642.jpeg

6C00ED6B-C3AA-4E43-853E-A702146EB822.jpeg

Edited by thewayout
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 hours ago, Beavis and Butt-Head said:

SOmeone posted one here in real nice shape a little while back.

7 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i put 15k miles on DS2's and liked them a lot.  First thing i did when i got my 16 XRS gade was replace the 5.7's with DS2's and I had them on my freerides i had before and after that.  

I rode a renegade xrs that has the ds2's on it this weekend. Great ski and big improvement over the stock ski

8 hours ago, thewayout said:

@Woodtick she’s a survivor! Put a 2” riser on, new Wilwood master cylinder with a stainless braided line. It’s awesomeness.  

BC371403-DBD9-45AD-BDD1-E68BCE5EF823.jpeg

0F53C767-0180-4310-A89C-92352DB90F7B.jpeg

7F188B0C-8773-4FB5-9A6F-8D5AD22B8F5F.jpeg

I will just bring my own 500 Polaris. You aren’t the only one with FU money around here.:lol:

438868C4-C4F2-4A95-A19B-CC8446F61B7F.jpeg

• Like 1

Sleds is all ready. Hand guards on, linq bracket and bag on, tunnel mount scratchers installed, all license sticker and trail permit on and put on some blackout reflectors on the front to replace the ugly yellow ones. Just need to put the cobras on the skis after a wearing down these shity OEM ones first. Getting stir crazy now. 

20191215_091129.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Sleds is all ready. Hand guards on, linq bracket and bag on, tunnel mount scratchers installed, all license sticker and trail permit on and put on some blackout reflectors on the front to replace the ugly yellow ones. Just need to put the cobras on the skis after a wearing down these shity OEM ones first. Getting stir crazy now. 

20191215_091129.jpg

I got tired of the Mickey mouse ski dollies kicking out on me so I cut some wood and screwed the pieces on them. I have to get the tunnel scratchers and put them on and all set

20191215_092303.jpg

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

I got tired of the Mickey mouse ski dollies kicking out on me so I cut some wood and screwed the pieces on them. I have to get the tunnel scratchers and put them on and all set

20191215_092303.jpg

Yeah their a pain sometimes. I had to do a bit of fabrication but these doo scratchers should work well hopefully.

9 minutes ago, Reevester said:

Yeah their a pain sometimes. I had to do a bit of fabrication but these doo scratchers should work well hopefully.

A buddy has been running the Doo scratchers for some time and says they work good. Another buddy just put them on both sleds. 

12 hours ago, thewayout said:

@Woodtick she’s a survivor! Put a 2” riser on, new Wilwood master cylinder with a stainless braided line. It’s awesomeness.  

Nice!! I like seeing old iron in great shape! 

Any idea what flavor of DOT (DOT-3?) brake fluid my 95 XLT SP takes? I lent my manual a few years ago to my buddy but never got it back. A few moves for him since that time so I assume it is long gone/lost?

I have to put new brakes on this sled, which I already purchased, but I thought while I was at things, I'd also do a brake fluid bleed with new fluid.

HPIM1002 (Large).JPG

HPIM1004.JPG

17 minutes ago, irv said:

Nice!! I like seeing old iron in great shape! 

Any idea what flavor of DOT (DOT-3?) brake fluid my 95 XLT SP takes? I lent my manual a few years ago to my buddy but never got it back. A few moves for him since that time so I assume it is long gone/lost?

I have to put new brakes on this sled, which I already purchased, but I thought while I was at things, I'd also do a brake fluid bleed with new fluid.

HPIM1002 (Large).JPG

HPIM1004.JPG

DOT 3 or DOT 4. DOT 4 has a higher boiling point then 3 but they are compatible. Don’t use DOT 5, it’s also not compatible with 3 or 4. 

I used honda DOT 4. Works great. I highly recommend the Wilwood master cylinder upgrade and SS line. HUGE improvement. Stopping power is incredible. It’s also a direct replacement. Bolt on bleed and go.

Honda 08203-0004 DOT 4 Brake Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039OTLWM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_u6M9DbJ03973S

Edited by thewayout

@irv here is the master cylinder I got. 

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/wilwood-brake-cylinder-kit.html

i also ordered a SS line with proper fittings from Wahl Bro’s racing. A little pricey but well worth it. 

I replaced the pads as well and scuffed up the rotor. Literally increased stopping power by 1000% I’d say. :lol: 

27 minutes ago, thewayout said:

@irv here is the master cylinder I got. 

https://www.startinglineproducts.com/wilwood-brake-cylinder-kit.html

i also ordered a SS line with proper fittings from Wahl Bro’s racing. A little pricey but well worth it. 

I replaced the pads as well and scuffed up the rotor. Literally increased stopping power by 1000% I’d say. :lol: 

Thanks for the info. I'll purchase some DOT 4 for it. I am pretty sure, somewhere, I have some buried that I used years ago, either 3 or 4 but I think I'll error on the safe side and just get a new bottle.

I appreciate the info on the master cylinder/line but without knowing how much longer I am keeping this sled, I think I will just carry with the stock set up. If it weren't such a huge pia, I'd change out the rotor but like I said above, I don't want to put too much time/money into it. It likely hasn't seen 500 miles in the last 3-4 years due to a variety of reasons so I assume someday within the next few years, it will be gone?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, irv said:

Thanks for the info. I'll purchase some DOT 4 for it. I am pretty sure, somewhere, I have some buried that I used years ago, either 3 or 4 but I think I'll error on the safe side and just get a new bottle.

I appreciate the info on the master cylinder/line but without knowing how much longer I am keeping this sled, I think I will just carry with the stock set up. If it weren't such a huge pia, I'd change out the rotor but like I said above, I don't want to put too much time/money into it. It likely hasn't seen 500 miles in the last 3-4 years due to a variety of reasons so I assume someday within the next few years, it will be gone?

The rotor sucks to change on those sleds which is why I just scuffed it up and called it good. 

the pads also suck to replace, specifically the one up against the chaincase. It wasn’t a great design as far as maintenance is concerned :lol: 

3 minutes ago, thewayout said:

The rotor sucks to change on those sleds which is why I just scuffed it up and called it good. 

the pads also suck to replace, specifically the one up against the chaincase. It wasn’t a great design as far as maintenance is concerned :lol: 

Quit being such a triggered faggot!!!!

• Haha 1