Check your account email address ×

*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

Just now, Shifty said:

I’m sure. It seems like there is definitely less digging out. The pin it and wiggle technique did not work in ‘97 lol. I remember my last ride out west before moving east. My buddy and I foolishly took the wimmens,and I literally spent most of the day getting the wife unstuck. Conditions were great also. Spring riding. Firm snow. I bet she stuck it 12-13 times. 

Oh we still get stuck.....a lot....but the piaw technique near stucks are the best,

20190117_130301.jpg

1 hour ago, Shifty said:

Got new to me trailer. 2012 mission 12’ clamshell. Living on trail I don’t trailer much but my 16 yr old is tired of the local stuff and wants to venture out a bit further.not my RMK in the pic 

826D94E3-2837-4056-B2F0-6BA5EC27E5D4.jpeg

Looks almost identical to my Sno-Pro trailer. Does it also have a rear door? Mine's been excellent to date but I do try to keep my things in good shape.

IMG_0170 (Large).JPG

IMG_0508 (Large).JPG

HPIM0381_LI.jpg

Edited by irv

Nice looking trailers guys, I'd be happy with either of them.  Beats any type of open trailer with sleds being exposed to all the salt.  I think two sleds in an enclosed and one in the bed is about right.

How hard do they pull?

4 hours ago, irv said:

Looks almost identical to my Sno-Pro trailer. Does it also have a rear door? Mine's been excellent to date but I do try to keep my things in good shape.

IMG_0170 (Large).JPG

IMG_0508 (Large).JPG

HPIM0381_LI.jpg

I’ve never seen a clam with a rear door.  That’s a real nice add.

4 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

Nice looking trailers guys, I'd be happy with either of them.  Beats any type of open trailer with sleds being exposed to all the salt.  I think two sleds in an enclosed and one in the bed is about right.

How hard do they pull?

they are a parachute.  but even my explorer with the NA 3.5 will pull it OK

22 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

Map shows over a foot around Devil's Lake.  Highs in the 40s there this week, will melt fast.  I'm not ready yet, give me a couple weeks.

he said it was melting from the top at bottem real fast . he drove sat night 5hrs up put on close to 100 and drove home . 

got home and today his snocheck is in lmfao 

42 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

they are a parachute.  but even my explorer with the NA 3.5 will pull it OK

lol very true 

few yrs back me and a bud were going up the pass outside Laramie heading west on 80 . blizzard viability windy as fuck glare ice then snow then ice  we are going like 40 I feel the truck shifting I look in the rearview and the trailer is at prob 20deg angel about 1/2 a inch from hitting the truck riding the shoulder to avoid getting clipped.  only thing that kept truck in place was the 1 in the bed . I was to freaked out to shit my pants 

lol and by a few yrs back it was 2011 time flys 

Edited by Ez ryder

30 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

lol very true 

few yrs back me and a bud were going up the pass outside Laramie heading west on 80 . blizzard viability windy as fuck glare ice then snow then ice  we are going like 40 I feel the truck shifting I look in the rearview and the trailer is at prob 20deg angel about 1/2 a inch from hitting the truck riding the shoulder to avoid getting clipped.  only thing that kept truck in place was the 1 in the bed . I was to freaked out to shit my pants 

Had more than a few of those moments over the years. :bc:  

2 hours ago, teamgreen02 said:

How hard do they pull?

It pulls great, imo, and is a very well balanced trailer. At my storage spot, once on the level concrete floor, I can push it with one hand with no fears of it tipping up in the front or down in the back, and that is with both sleds in it. The storage guy also loves when he needs to jockey it around occasionally. 

When towing, I obviously know it's there but I am hauling 2 sleds, including my heavy Vector with full tanks of gas and some gear. The Hemi hardly breaks a sweat, imo, and once under way/rolling, it's like towing a small utility trailer. The angle of the front of it does a great job at deflecting air over it but I feel it in the wind, obviously, but its nothing as scary as hauling a 20'+ travel trailer. 

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

I’ve never seen a clam with a rear door.  That’s a real nice add.

That door is a sweet option for sure, it saves lifting the lid more than one would think. I lucked out getting it. The year I purchased it used, you had to pounce on anything that came available but the seller of this one placed his ad in the wrong section of Kijiji (like craigslist) that I just happened upon. I phoned right away (he was local) and arrived about 20 minutes later. Turns out he knew a guy I knew so we did the deal right then and there. I paid $3,000 in 09-10, which were around the going prices then but I was just glad to get one. In my opinion, it is every bit as good as a Triton, if not better. :bc:

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Ez ryder said:

lol very true 

Hell that section of road can be scary without a trailer. 

Edited by Shifty

I like the legend trailer with a ramp.   Store the sleds in the trailer at camp and leave em there.    Hauls fairly well. Not as good as my old tomco fibreglass one.   When looking it looked alot more tougher than the triton trailers.   They seem to have really gone cheap 

New_Legend_Sport_Lite_8.5_x_13_Hybrid_Sn

10 hours ago, irv said:

It pulls great, imo, and is a very well balanced trailer. At my storage spot, once on the level concrete floor, I can push it with one hand with no fears of it tipping up in the front or down in the back, and that is with both sleds in it. The storage guy also loves when he needs to jockey it around occasionally. 

When towing, I obviously know it's there but I am hauling 2 sleds, including my heavy Vector with full tanks of gas and some gear. The Hemi hardly breaks a sweat, imo, and once under way/rolling, it's like towing a small utility trailer. The angle of the front of it does a great job at deflecting air over it but I feel it in the wind, obviously, but its nothing as scary as hauling a 20'+ travel trailer. 

That door is a sweet option for sure, it saves lifting the lid more than one would think. I lucked out getting it. The year I purchased it used, you had to pounce on anything that came available but the seller of this one placed his ad in the wrong section of Kijiji (like craigslist) that I just happened upon. I phoned right away (he was local) and arrived about 20 minutes later. Turns out he knew a guy I knew so we did the deal right then and there. I paid $3,000 in 09-10, which were around the going prices then but I was just glad to get one. In my opinion, it is every bit as good as a Triton, if not better. :bc:

the quality went through a terrible period for 5-6 years shortly after that so you got lucky that was when Thule owned them.  MIssion/Snopro are both the same company

2 hours ago, Kev144 said:

I like the legend trailer with a ramp.   Store the sleds in the trailer at camp and leave em there.    Hauls fairly well. Not as good as my old tomco fibreglass one.   When looking it looked alot more tougher than the triton trailers.   They seem to have really gone cheap 

New_Legend_Sport_Lite_8.5_x_13_Hybrid_Sn

Thats pretty much the same trailer I have and I think it works great. I dont have any problem pulling it and its super easy to drive on and off. 

1 hour ago, Angry ginger said:

the quality went through a terrible period for 5-6 years shortly after that so you got lucky that was when Thule owned them.  MIssion/Snopro are both the same company

I certainly can't complain how my trailer was made/built, so I am glad I purchased one prior to them cheaping out, but, in all likelihood, if it was after the fact or during that terrible period, I certainly would have walked away.

I've seen some junk out there and it just boggles my mind what people will spend their hard earned money on.

Thanks for the info. :bc:

24 minutes ago, irv said:

I certainly can't complain how my trailer was made/built, so I am glad I purchased one prior to them cheaping out, but, in all likelihood, if it was after the fact or during that terrible period, I certainly would have walked away.

I've seen some junk out there and it just boggles my mind what people will spend their hard earned money on.

Thanks for the info. :bc:

I don't know of anyone who was happy with Alcom quality between 2012 and 2016 or so in either the clams or hybrids. they bought up a bunch of manufacturers and traded off their name.  I have a pre Alcom high country when they were made in vt and it's a nice trailer.  

Some good looking trailers guys.  There are almost no clamshell trailers around here.  Looks like a pretty good way to keep sleds in good shape and out of the weather.

I started working on sleds this weekend.  Trying to get the grandkids sleds all dialed in and ready for winter.  We will be back home mid December and I wanted to have things ready to go for when we come back home.  

The grandkids were over all weekend so it was fun to get them involved.  They were so into getting the sleds ready for the snow. 

2010 Polaris 120.  I bought it new when my oldest grandson was 1.  It's already on it's 3 grandchild and looks and runs perfect.  All we did was grease it and wipe it down.  Added a little fresh fuel to the tank. 

1994 Indy Sport 440.  I picked this up about 3 years ago for $400.  It is in great shape and has 2200 miles on it.  Last year it quit running, no fuel to the fuel pump.  The hose inside the tank rotted and fell off.  Pulled tank, drained tank, fished out old hose and filter, replaced fuel line with new, back in business.  Greased the chassis, checked track, changed chaincase oil, adjusted ski tow in.  Sled is ready to ride now.  

1996 Indy Lite GT.   I bought this as a basket case parts rig about 7 years ago.  Got it running about 6 years ago.  It has since been rallied and thrashed by the older grandkids non stop.  Some broken tub parts and cowling cracks.  Recoil rope was broken.  E-Start still works.  We fixed the recoil rope and began fabricating some patches for the tub.  Put a skid plate on it.  Removed the seat cover and foam so it could dry out completely.  Ordered a new seat cover and will put that on when we return in December.  Still need to do some resin work on the cowling.  I still have about 2 days worth of work to do before it's ready to go for the season.

2004 ProX 600.  I bought this in 2007 with 1500 miles on it.  It's in like new condition.  The idle circuit on one carb is plugged up as it drops down and runs on one cylinder at idle.  I need to pull the carbs and clean things out.  I added E-Start years ago.  It has a 136" Iceripper track.  It's a perfect sled for riding the local trails and from one lake to the next.  I didn't make any progress on the carbs.  This one will have to wait till December.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

Some good looking trailers guys.  There are almost no clam shell trailers around here.  Looks like a pretty good way to keep sleds in good shape and out of the weather.

When I purchased my 08 40th Anniversary Vector and knew for certain I was keeping my old XLT for my son, I obviously knew I needed a trailer. The thoughts of putting them on an open, regular flat bed trailer, even with a front deflector, was out of the question.

Years of doing that in my younger years and arriving at your destination with with a soaked, salt ridden or frozen to your sled cover wasn't something I was going to do ever again. 

When I only had my XLT, I use to put it in the bed of the truck. It wasn't perfect but it was a huge improvement compared to trailering it on an open flat deck trailer.

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

yep a neighbor bought a new Mission trailer in12 or 13( like in shiftys pic above) and his second trip to Mooselook/ toothaker island from mass.  the entire 4' tow bar snapped off..    they added the side supports to them after that.

Edited by old indy

46 minutes ago, irv said:

When I only had my XLT, I use to put it in the bed of the truck. It wasn't perfect but it was a huge improvement compared to trailering it on an open flat deck trailer.

That's what I do.  That keeps it out of most of the salt spray but I still wash it when I get home.  $1.50 at the local car wash is all it takes to rinse it off and I can do it in the bed of the truck.

It is somewhat of a pain to load and unload if I have to bring the ramp too but it isn't any worse than dealing with a trailer.  No wheel bearings or trailer tires to blow apart, almost 20 mpg, and I can park it anywhere.  Parking lots with 1+ foot of snow are no problem.

bed of the truck is the best.  toss a cover on it and no real downside.  I got rid of my last trailer back in 07 as I was always driving up solo and CFK and another buddy were the only ones to use the trailer to come up.  Ended up with this one because i bought the boy a sled and needed a storage spot.  Cover was kinda fucked but paid a grand and i'll get that back out of it in a few weeks when i sell it.  Need to pull the sled into the garage,  preseason it and get it for sale now that the seasons offically started around here with the grass drags last weekend.  

1 hour ago, teamgreen02 said:

That's what I do.  That keeps it out of most of the salt spray but I still wash it when I get home.  $1.50 at the local car wash is all it takes to rinse it off and I can do it in the bed of the truck.

It is somewhat of a pain to load and unload if I have to bring the ramp too but it isn't any worse than dealing with a trailer.  No wheel bearings or trailer tires to blow apart, almost 20 mpg, and I can park it anywhere.  Parking lots with 1+ foot of snow are no problem.

I use to use a lock and load style ramp that can be see in this pic and vid. Mine was made of steel, which was, obviously, heavy but it worked great. The aluminum ones were much better to say the least but they much higher on a thieves list as well.

100_1786.jpg

2 minutes ago, irv said:

I use to use a lock and load style ramp that can be see in this pic and vid. Mine was made of steel, which was, obviously, heavy but it worked great. The aluminum ones were much better to say the least but they much higher on a thieves list as well.

100_1786.jpg

I have seen those and they probably work well but they were pricey.  Mine works for now but I would probably look for one of these next time around.

6 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

I have seen those and they probably work well but they were pricey.  Mine works for now but I would probably look for one of these next time around.

I think the aluminum ones that Rampman was making and advertising at the Port Perry Snowmobile club were around $500.00 dollars once upon a time? Mine was around $200-$250 IIRC but that was easily over 10 yrs ago.

Many different designs out there now. Some are cheaper home made models that work good to more expensive manufactured models that likely also work well. Just Google snowmobile or sled ramps and I'm sure you'll find something that will pique your interest that can built inexpensively.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enCA750CA750&q=lock+and+load+snowmobile+ramp&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiy7auK8p7lAhXRUBUIHRB7CskQsAR6BAgIEAE&biw=1280&bih=578

3 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

bed of the truck is the best.  toss a cover on it and no real downside.  I got rid of my last trailer back in 07 as I was always driving up solo and CFK and another buddy were the only ones to use the trailer to come up.  Ended up with this one because i bought the boy a sled and needed a storage spot.  Cover was kinda fucked but paid a grand and i'll get that back out of it in a few weeks when i sell it.  Need to pull the sled into the garage,  preseason it and get it for sale now that the seasons offically started around here with the grass drags last weekend.  

Yep. I have a piece of plywood with ski slides on it for hauling in the truck. Works great and it shaves time and gas money driving up north.