Check your account email address ×

*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

8 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

....also, INDEED!  The trail IS the destination.  Again, I can ride from bar to bar in my truck.  I don’t ride with drunkards and bar stool sitters.

I'm not a big drinker anymore at all.  I got that out of my system back in my military days. I'll have a drink or two at night every now and then after the sleds are parked, but never during the day.  Also, my days of getting hammered up N at night are long gone.  I hate riding the next day or driving home with a hangover. Been there , done that many times, never again. 

Edited by SVT MXZ XRS

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I seriously believe the longest mile day I ever had was around 225 miles, just a few years back.  I’ll never forget that miserable ride on the way back home. 30 miles of hating my sled, those shitty trails and myself for doing it!!!

The last time I felt that way was when I had to limp my crumpled up shit back from a Culver’s.  Pulling the sled into the garage and dismounting for the day will rank up there in my happiest moments book!  FFS!!!!

:wall:

Haha same here and it was an all day and half the night affair...sleds stuck In rivers, detours, lost, cops..and finally a 10 MPH ride across Lake Charlevoix in pea soup fog dodging ice shanty’s! 🤣

9 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I use to do more back in the day.  Problem now is getting people up and moving in the morning. Another bad thing about bigger groups. Getting everyone up and ready. Having their morning coffee. Gotta eat, gotta shit. Gotta do this, gotta do that. Dilly dallying around on FB and Twitter, ect, instead of getting their gear ready.   I wasn't a morning person when I was 18 and neither is my kid.  If we were out earlier we'd be doing 250+ a day , EASILY. 

I try to get my stuff ready the night before. That way I'm not in a rush come morning. Communicators plugged in the charger, everything dry and organized. Tunnel bag squared away, ect.  

I used to attend more of our famous “Brisk Rides” up here but, they started to get a bit too large.  20+ riders not familiar with the pace or the trails system?  Ooof. It just got to be a bit tiring having to stop and wait to see if everyone is still alive then, deciding who had to turn around and see who is wrapped up in the trees when the headcount came up short.

One thing good about it for us locals, we don’t have to deal with all the logistics of everyone traveling to get here. They are just given the trailhead where we start and the time to be there.  

7 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I'm not a big drinker anymore at all.  I got that out of my system back in my military days. I'll have a drink or two at night every now and then after the sleds are parked, but never during the day.  Also, my days of getting hammered up N at night are long gone.  I hate riding the next day or driving home with a hangover. Been there , done that many times, never again. 

Ayymen to all that shit!  Ay fucking men!

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Haha same here and it was an all day and half the night affair...sleds stuck In rivers, detours, lost, cops..and finally a 10 MPH ride across Lake Charlevoix in pea soup fog dodging ice shanty’s! 🤣

Yuh....we’ve all had those nightmare rides. Those stories aren’t even fun to tell later anymore.  I go to ride, not deal with a series of misadventures, fuckery and issues.  Fuck all that shit.  That’s also why I ride with a select few people anymore.

28 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I've got a long way to go before I do that. Maybe never. My wife hates winter. 

We said what if we miss sledding after we sell the sleds and decided on the 2-up. My wife loves the outdoors year-round. Fishing,ice fishing,campfires, sledding,atv"n etc etc and makes sure the beer fridge is stocked. Winning lol

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, SVT MXZ XRS said:

I go up N to ride, not sit around in the bar and BS and get hammered. I can do that at home for A LOT cheaper IF I wanted to. If we don't git at least 200 a day I'm pissed. I'm not driving 5+ hours for sleds to sit parked. 

Having a cottage is much nicer than driving, getting ready in a hotel or side of the truck to ride 

19 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I used to attend more of our famous “Brisk Rides” up here but, they started to get a bit too large.  20+ riders not familiar with the pace or the trails system?  Ooof. It just got to be a bit tiring having to stop and wait to see if everyone is still alive then, deciding who had to turn around and see who is wrapped up in the trees when the headcount came up short. One thing good about it for us locals, we don’t have to deal with all the logistics of everyone traveling to get here. They are just given the trailhead where we start and the time to be there.  

Yuh....we’ve all had those nightmare rides. Those stories aren’t even fun to tell later anymore.  I go to ride, not deal with a series of misadventures, fuckery and issues.  Fuck all that shit.  That’s also why I ride with a select few people anymore.

Anything more than 6 can start to become a real cluster fuck.  Especially when you have a group of riders with mixed experience levels.  Better to split up into 2 or more groups and decide on a place to meet up.  

Yea I'm not doing that shit anymore. 

Been there done that with those "adventures" too. Never again on that either. Stay on the trail and we don't have the worry about getting lost or someone breaking down or fucking their sled up and having a bitch of a time retrieving it. 

17 minutes ago, smokin george said:

We said what if we miss sledding after we sell the sleds and decided on the 2-up. My wife loves the outdoors year-round. Fishing,ice fishing,campfires, sledding,atv"n etc etc and makes sure the beer fridge is stocked. Winning lol

Maybe when we both retire she will come with me , but doesn't really want anything to do with it right now.  I even have a 3rd sled for her right now and she shows no interest in riding it.  It would be the perfect sled for her too.  2012 TNT , electric start , XRS front shocks , Exit rear and center.  Plenty of power for her, but not to much. Nope, has no desire to go. 

Maybe someday I'll be on a Renegade Enduro 900 with a 2up seat. But not anytime soon.

15 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Having a cottage is much nicer than driving, getting ready in a hotel or side of the truck to ride 

We don't stay in hotels.  We rent a house or cabins. And I hate trailering out to trail heads. PITA. I've done it before , but I don't like to. 

I was going to buy a place up in the UP, but it's not in the cards right now.  Place I wanted that my buddy is selling is just to much $ for would what I want to spend right now. And its on a seasonal road and no guarantee to get back there in the winter. They get so much snow in the area it's in, it would be a PITA to get to with a truck alone, and there is no way in hell you're getting a trailer back there in the winter. I was hoping he would lower the price some more. It would be worth it then. It's on a diesel generator and solar for electricity. And propane for heat.  To get power brought in would be a little $.  It's 8/10 of a mile to connect to the power from road. Not a big, but the being able to get back there in the winter with all the snow would be the real issue. I've decided to put that on hold for now and I'm building a pole barn in the spring instead. 

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

I used to attend more of our famous “Brisk Rides” up here but, they started to get a bit too large.  20+ riders not familiar with the pace or the trails system?  Ooof. It just got to be a bit tiring having to stop and wait to see if everyone is still alive then, deciding who had to turn around and see who is wrapped up in the trees when the headcount came up short.

One thing good about it for us locals, we don’t have to deal with all the logistics of everyone traveling to get here. They are just given the trailhead where we start and the time to be there.  

When we still had a good core group our best rides were local or over to Larrys in Elmira which is about 35-40 miles by road and we never saw a groomed trail...good times. 

32 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

When we still had a good core group our best rides were local or over to Larrys in Elmira which is about 35-40 miles by road and we never saw a groomed trail...good times. 

Hard to ride anywhere here and not find a sled.trail.  They are all around and can get you pretty much everywhere you want to go.  Wasn’t many where I grew up.  All lakes and cattails.  Best of times for sure.

2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Fuck that noize.  To me, at a certain mileage point, it just becomes a form of transportation.  I have more comfortable vehicles in which to do that.

RR grades are the worst. So fucking boring. I only ride them to get to the good trails and unplowed roads. The big thing in the UP is riding to Copper Harbor and back. It’s about 308 miles round trip from my cabin.  If I leave  just before sun rise, we can be back by sunset. It’s 75% grades and I make that run once every 5 years,to remind myself why I never do it. I always wanted to ride up and spend the night. Play around on all of the fun loops up there and ride back the next day. Can never find anyone that wants to do that. Because that would be less than 200 miles a day?  

Been riding for a Loooong time. Did the big mile weekends (13-1600 miles) but these days I enjoy 45-75 miles in the hills trying to get higher than the last time. Still have done a couple 400 mile days in Maine the last few years and that was fun but I prefer off trail.

20190216_103841.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, s pump said:

Been riding for a Loooong time. Did the big mile weekends (13-1600 miles) but these days I enjoy 45-75 miles in the hills trying to get higher than the last time. Still have done a couple 400 mile days in Maine the last few years and that was fun but I prefer off trail.

20190216_103841.jpg

Boner inducing right there. :quaqmire:

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

Boner inducing right there. :quaqmire:

It was an epic weekend in Canada. 40-50 mph off the trail into the banks with no worries of bottoming out on stumps or rocks. Snow was best I've ever ridden in including out West.

20190216_103837.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/4/2019 at 12:10 AM, snopro31 said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s not already here. They uncrated a expedition extreme the other day so wouldn’t be surprised if my se isn’t in the back. 

I just need to figure out where I’m mounting my helix to the dash and where to run extra power lines for lights and whatnot on the back. 

Buying this for ice fishing adventures.Image result for bearcat xt limited

1 hour ago, ManOnManOral said:

Buying this for ice fishing adventures.Image result for bearcat xt limited

I found the storage on those lacking. 

We take 1/2 the garage out when we fish.  Underwater cameras, 2-3 fish finders, heaters and 50+lbs of tackle.

Just had good luck so far with doo.  But we do see quite a few bearcats out fishing.

2 hours ago, snopro31 said:

I found the storage on those lacking. 

We take 1/2 the garage out when we fish.  Underwater cameras, 2-3 fish finders, heaters and 50+lbs of tackle.

Just had good luck so far with doo.  But we do see quite a few bearcats out fishing.

Have a sled.