Check your account email address ×

*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

5 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i put my son on an indylite 340 at 8 and a renegade 600sdi at 14. he didn't ride from 11-13 because of sports and then again from 14-16 but did fine stepping back into riding both at 14 and again at 17 where i bought him a 600 etec TNT.  

Yah he learned how to ride on that indy light 340 huge huge difference than a complete novice getting on that 6000 :flush:

6 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

If you are concerned about the power of the 600, you could always get a Sno Pro 500.  No reverse, but they have EFI, are pretty much bulletproof, and all years are good.  

I would get a 550 fan or somthing for a novice but that's just me I have only been ridding since the late 60's :guzzle:

• Platinum Contributing Member

You need to know your kid and what they can handle.

I started my son on a Bravo at 6, to a Z440 at 9, an F5 at 12 and a 500SS at 14 and an Etech 600 at 16. After that he was on his own.

My buddy's 12 yr old daughter used to ride his T-Cat all the time.

My dad won't let me ride his SRX440 until I turned 16. Things have changed.

36 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You need to know your kid and what they can handle.

I started my son on a Bravo at 6, to a Z440 at 9, an F5 at 12 and a 500SS at 14 and an Etech 600 at 16. After that he was on his own.

My buddy's 12 yr old daughter used to ride his T-Cat all the time.

My dad won't let me ride his SRX440 until I turned 16. Things have changed.

That's a normal progression although after a bunch of time on the Bravo he could have drove the etech 600 IMO :)

• Platinum Contributing Member
11 hours ago, Momorider said:

I would get a 550 fan or somthing for a novice but that's just me I have only been ridding since the late 60's :guzzle:

He has had a ZL550 since he was 9..And been on 4wheelers since he was 7..Also has taken the snowmobile safety course.. My kids are good, aware, and cautious riders..He rides my sled all the time, no issues..

mms_img-1062987428.jpg

mms_img969307802.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

He has had a ZL550 since he was 9..And been on 4wheelers since he was 7..Also has taken the snowmobile safety course.. My kids are good, aware, and cautious riders..He rides my sled all the time, no issues..

mms_img-1062987428.jpg

mms_img969307802.jpg

He'll be fine on that 600 :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Momorider said:

600 still to much power for any novice IMO :dunno:

Not really, you just got to teach them throttle control and common sense. Some kids have it, and even some adults don,t. A parent should know best how their kid is at decision making and handling peer pressure. It,s all in the drivers control of the throttle, and knowing their own driving limits.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

i put my son on an indylite 340 at 8 and a renegade 600sdi at 14. he didn't ride from 11-13 because of sports and then again from 14-16 but did fine stepping back into riding both at 14 and again at 17 where i bought him a 600 etec TNT.  

16 hours ago, Woodtick said:

If the kids been on sleds and atvs all of his life, I think a 600 is fine.  That cat 6000 looks clean for that price.

3 hours ago, Frostynuts said:

Not really, you just got to teach them throttle control and common sense. Some kids have it, and even some adults don,t. A parent should know best how their kid is at decision making and handling peer pressure. It,s all in the drivers control of the throttle, and knowing their own driving limits.

This.

I started my son out at 3-4 on a Kitty Cat then progressed to an Indy lite then finally my 600 XLT when he was 12.

Some kids have it some don't and same goes for some parents who have no clue/brains enough to know if their kids are ready/mature enough to ride anything.

IMG_0501 (Large).JPG

IMG_0503 (Large).JPG

HPIM0565 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0556 (Medium).JPG

HPIM0475 (Medium).JPG

019_19_03 (Medium).JPG

016_16_04 (Medium).jpg

018_18_04 (Medium).JPG

Edited by irv
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I haven't messaged him yet, sled is just down the street.. definitely a nice sled,.

There is this also, with 900mi..but I mean, a 13 year old doesn't really need that power, but not a bad price

Screenshot_20190922-143556.png

Just say no on the turbo.....too much for a 13 YO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, franks pond said:

daughter at 15 with her older sisters snowmobile licence ,,,,sorry odot,,,  lol

xc.jpg

i never really worried about the license thing.  my son actually went through the class in NH as I was an instructor at 8 but can't get the card at that age.  

16 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i never really worried about the license thing.  my son actually went through the class in NH as I was an instructor at 8 but can't get the card at that age.  

My daughter went though it.  On the riding portion, she ran over half the damn cones on the slalom part of the course.  She pulled up to the end and was asked, “What happened back there with the cones?”  Without missing a beat, she took her helmet off and said, “They were too close together”.....and walked inside.  We all looked at each other for a second and busted out laughing.  She passed.  I mean, she had to after that shit.  :lol:

Confidence.  Pass it on.   :lmao:

8 hours ago, awful knawful said:

Like seeing you guys getting kids into outdoors and power sports. Good stuff!

2 winters ago in the UP. My son (far left) and 3 of his buddies. Ages 17,16,15,18

FB_IMG_1569284737930.thumb.jpg.b341fb6832598881b4cce55ff05da212.jpg

There was a 5th one with us also, but wasn't in the picture because he didn't go to the same school as the rest.  I believe this got in the year book that year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Tie a damn rag around the handle bar behind the throttle as a govoner for the first couple rides. Pull it when they get it down.

A tie wrap or a gear clamp with the head portion facing the back of the throttle works as well.