Check your account email address ×

Cheap Bearings and Crappy Oil Caps

• Platinum Contributing Member

So I remember Ben talking about how all the bearings in his skid on his Polaris went to hell in no time and I was just reading over on HCS and Northstar Rick was answering a guy who has the same issue and he said that while Polaris does use NTN bearings they are the cheap Chinese version and when they pull them apart they are dry as a bone. Throw in the stupid oil cap venting issue and it really makes you wonder WTF these manus are thinking...yeah I know bean counters and bottom lines....but WTF? Also I know it's not limited to Polaris so save it! :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

So I remember Ben talking about how all the bearings in his skid on his Polaris went to hell in no time and I was just reading over on HCS and Northstar Rick was answering a guy who has the same issue and he said that while Polaris does use NTN bearings they are the cheap Chinese version and when they pull them apart they are dry as a bone. Throw in the stupid oil cap venting issue and it really makes you wonder WTF these manus are thinking...yeah I know bean counters and bottom lines....but WTF? Also I know it's not limited to Polaris so save it! :lol:

My cat has a similar oil cap.   I have a vented cap I got from hcs member.  You do have to make sure you don't over fill oil on these sleds.   :bc: 

My sled has about 2200 miles on it now, and haven't noticed any issues yet with the vent cap or bearings in the skid, and I just checked them.  That said, the shocks are coming out and getting a revalve in the off season.

1 hour ago, awful knawful said:

Its not just a polaris thing. All companies are buying cheap ass parts. More money made for the fat cats at top!

Me and a couple buddies were talking about things like this and how many are saying snowmobiling is a dying sport.  We had some theories, most revolved around marketing and the cost of it to buy and maintain a sled.  Sure seems like parts and prices are going way up lately.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

Not a cold sieze? 

Nope. No oil. 

Sounds weird but I’d of felt better had it been my fault.  

Took the cap off 3 weeks after it squeaked and it still had a heavy vacuum on it. So stupid. 

2 minutes ago, bussman said:

Nope. No oil. 

Sounds weird but I’d of felt better had it been my fault.  

Took the cap off 3 weeks after it squeaked and it still had a heavy vacuum on it. So stupid. 

What sled was that on

• Platinum Contributing Member
7 minutes ago, Momorider said:

I just priced out a hub for a car and the price difference was fucked the Mevotec was $118 and the SKS was $300 how the fuck can this shit be so variable :dunno: 

Volume.  Not only in cost of components but margin as well.   Then its marked up by the distributor, then the retailer all increasing the costs.  I deal with it every single day. 

Edited by Highmark

3 minutes ago, Rod Johnson said:

What sled was that on

Procross 800. My buds did the exact same thing. They recommend that you drill holes in the cap to make sure it’s venting properly, and don’t fill the res all the way to the top.

5 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Procross 800. My buds did the exact same thing. They recommend that you drill holes in the cap to make sure it’s venting properly, and don’t fill the res all the way to the top.

That’s gayer than @Wildboer

1 minute ago, bussman said:

Never will I buy a first year model again. 

My 06’ F7 was top to bottom better than the 03’. 

Spring checking a 19’ 800RR

:bc: 

You already know the polaris is a far superior sled.  Why do you let your brand bias bind you to a lesser sled vinceman?:bc: 

Edited by Kev144

1 minute ago, Kev144 said:

You already know the polaris is a far superior sled.  Why do you let your brand bias bind you to a lesser sled vinceman?:bc: 

Because the RR is every bit as good in most regards. The XCR is slightly better overall IMO but not enough to make me change all my clothing and decals everywhere. lol

Just now, bussman said:

Because the RR is every bit as good in most regards. The XCR is slightly better overall IMO but not enough to make me change all my clothing and decals everywhere. lol

Let go of the leather cat pride jacket.  It is time my son. 

I think the biggest problem from the "oil cap vent" is people overfilling the reseviours.  My PC had the top level a good bit down from the cap.  Never filled it past that...never had a problem.  :dunno:

People have a tendancy to top everything off to the point of running over.  Cap venting only works if the vents aren't filled with oil.  

Pre-mix FTW!!!!  :bc:

5 minutes ago, Kev144 said:

Image result for no gif

2 minutes ago, bussman said:

I may have thought the XCR was the better of the "Replica" types too since it's still new.  Ben convinced me otherwise.  And Walker Evans shocks?

:lol:

Image result for empty paper roll crafts

35 minutes ago, racer254 said:

Me and a couple buddies were talking about things like this and how many are saying snowmobiling is a dying sport.  We had some theories, most revolved around marketing and the cost of it to buy and maintain a sled.  Sure seems like parts and prices are going way up lately.

Yep, all of what you said are valid points and mother nature being a bitch the last 3 years is another big issue. If I ever buy another sled it will be an older sled that I can repair in the other 11 months you can't ride. :lol: zero desire to spend 10 - 15k on the junk they're making today.

• Like 2