Check your account email address ×

Is it too early to start talking about sleds?

8 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Yep been scanning eBay but I've been burned a few times buying scrap junk from guys parting sleds out. I have dealt with Ian in the past for used shocks that he has gone through and rebuilt. Looking for similar options to that....someone who does shock service possibly that might have something. 

Isn't there another guy on doo talk? Maize or something like that. I would prefer to go with someone I trusted as opposed to buying used on eBay. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
8 minutes ago, Edmo said:

Isn't there another guy on doo talk? Maize or something like that. I would prefer to go with someone I trusted as opposed to buying used on eBay. 

:bc: I couldn't quiet think of the name...thanks! 

http://www.maizekustoms.com/pages/shock-pricing.php 

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Anyone know of a good source for shocks front and rear? I bought the GF a 2009 500SS Sport model XP 120" last fall and thinking about upgrading the shocks to a decent rebuild-able. I got a quote from Ian at Monster but looking for more options.

http://www.hudons.com/

they have just about everything you would ever need..

WP_20141014_001.jpg

WP_20141014_002.jpg

a 600 will do literally nothing better than an 800 ....its not lighter , it doesnt rev faster....it doesnt pull harder at any point in the rpm range , it doesnt get better gas mileage etc etc etc

It is less of a performer in every possible metric one can measure.......those are the facts

Now lets get some  faggot HCS kid in here to tell us the 600 is better because it has less gyroscopic effect :lol:

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

a 600 will do literally nothing better than an 800 ....its not lighter , it doesnt rev faster....it doesnt pull harder at any point in the rpm range , it doesnt get better gas mileage etc etc etc

It is less of a performer in every possible metric one can measure.......those are the facts

Now lets get some  faggot HCS kid in here to tell us the 600 is better because it has less gyroscopic effect :lol:

Depends on the average trail speed.  In VT, where the trails are tighter, a 600 is the quickest way through the woods, fact.  I know you think you can muscle a 250 hp turbo just as fast in those kinds of trails but you can't.  It will wear you down eventually, when the 600 pilot is just getting warmed up.  You can think that all you want.  We know better. :lol: 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, racinfarmer said:

Start doing some hand exercises.  Get one of those spring hand grip things and start going to town while you drive.

Shit!  I always "go to town" when I ride. That's how I really goofed my hand up after I broke it! :wall:

Point is, the 800 is just unnessesary. My main riding guy is an ex-racer so, While I can give him all he can handle if not more, I need all the edge I can get!!!!!  Plus, I'd like to start entering some local races too.  Need a 6 for that.

1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

Anyone know of a good source for shocks front and rear? I bought the GF a 2009 500SS Sport model XP 120" last fall and thinking about upgrading the shocks to a decent rebuild-able. I got a quote from Ian at Monster but looking for more options.

Whatcha lookin for?

....I know a really good local guy who has a pretty good size parting out operation.  Plus a few more with extra shocks siting on their benches.

6 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Sure, if it's run by remote control.  Everyone seems to forget to add the human elements when adding up sled performance.  If you ride while firmly seated most of the time, an 800 is fine.  If you are jumping around and trying to figure out when to let off so as not to end up in the trees and feathering the flipper for the best traction and speed out of the corners, the 800 is wasted power...and physical effort. 

4 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Shit!  I always "go to town" when I ride. That's how I really goofed my hand up after I broke it! :wall:

Point is, the 800 is just unnessesary. My main riding guy is an ex-racer so, While I can give him all he can handle if not more, I need all the edge I can get!!!!!  Plus, I'd like to start entering some local races too.  Need a 6 for that.

Whatcha lookin for?

....I know a really good local guy who has a pretty good size parting out operation.  Plus a few more with extra shocks siting on their benches.

Looking to possibly replace the non rebuildable stock shocks on my girlfriend's 2009 Ski Doo 500SS Sport model to maybe the TNT level or equivalent. Some Decent rebuildable shocks all the way around. We have the sled torn down now for a rebuild and powder coat so I figure now is a good time to swap out the shocks. 

10 hours ago, ckf said:

800's are nice if you have long flat straight stretches like they have in Quebec or norther Maine. The 600's are more than enough for regular trail riding around here. The only time I miss the power of an 800 is on long lake pulls.

yup,  never had an issue with the 600 until i started riding a lot in maine.  now that the boys have mellowed out i could prob go back but i want a 146 ish track with a 2.0 so that really needs to be in an 800.   2 sleds I'd prob just buy a 900 to pound miles on and a freeride 154.   one of my buddies buys 2-4 sleds a year and has had everything from turbo cats to a 174 summit and his sleds last year were an 850 gade with pro 40's,  3 900's including a shorty that will go in the 90's  after being worked over and his 174 summit.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Looking to possibly replace the non rebuildable stock shocks on my girlfriend's 2009 Ski Doo 500SS Sport model to maybe the TNT level or equivalent. Some Decent rebuildable shocks all the way around. We have the sled torn down now for a rebuild and powder coat so I figure now is a good time to swap out the shocks. 

Here, ask for Brandon (him or his wife will answer).  They specialize in Doo parts.  He's a damn good, fair and knowledgeable dude.  Aren't you in MN?

http://www.skessnowmobileparts.com/about.html

20 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Here, ask for Brandon (him or his wife will answer).  They specialize in Doo parts.  He's a damn good, fair and knowledgeable dude.  Aren't you in MN?

http://www.skessnowmobileparts.com/about.html

Thanks...I'll give them a call. I'm in MI

18 minutes ago, Anler said:

Getting the renegade out of storage today. Going to get it cleaned up and put it up for sale. @Biggie Smails You might want to take a look! :lol: 

Gonna sell my Renegade here soon to but I'll wait until fall /early winter so I can maybe get another $300 for it. 

13 minutes ago, Skidooski said:

Thanks...I'll give them a call. I'm in MI

Gonna sell my Renegade here soon to but I'll wait until fall /early winter so I can maybe get another $300 for it. 

Ive been checking sale prices and im going to price mine to sell quick. Its got some worth while upgrades and is in great shape. I think it will sell fast. Then I can put my money down on the new Switchback!

55 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Sure, if it's run by remote control.  Everyone seems to forget to add the human elements when adding up sled performance.  If you ride while firmly seated most of the time, an 800 is fine.  If you are jumping around and trying to figure out when to let off so as not to end up in the trees and feathering the flipper for the best traction and speed out of the corners, the 800 is wasted power...and physical effort. 

So duct tape a piece of fucking wood behind the throttle .....BOOM you have a 600

1 minute ago, Anler said:

Ive been checking sale prices and im going to price mine to sell quick. Its got some worth while upgrades and is in great shape. I think it will sell fast. Then I can put my money down on the new Switchback!

If my etec gives me problems this winter I'm brooming it for another brand..likely a Polaris just not one of those fugly beaver tail ones :lol: 

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

Depends on the average trail speed.  In VT, where the trails are tighter, a 600 is the quickest way through the woods, fact.  I know you think you can muscle a 250 hp turbo just as fast in those kinds of trails but you can't.  It will wear you down eventually, when the 600 pilot is just getting warmed up.  You can think that all you want.  We know better. :lol: 

Oh Please Please tell me what makes the 600 quicker????? I mentioned nothing of a big turbo....obviously they will wear you down much much quicker......mostly because of the effort required to stop permagrin !!!!!!!!!!1111111111

18 hours ago, Rw06GT said:

I've had/have 4 procross chassis sleds. 12xf turbo, two turbo xtx vipers and now a sidewinder xtx. There have been tons of chassis improvements since Yamaha got involved. Better fasteners, bearings(no more plastic cages), general build quality... The new bodywork is off in 30 seconds and a change to riv-nuts makes the belly panels removal another minute. Doesn't make getting to shit any easier tho, everything is packed pretty tight. :lol: 

Cat does their own thing for clutching so no yammie involvment there. I believe the recall was for a poorly machined casting that was cutting something but didn't pay much attention to it. I had good luck with my sled but some have had belt issues. Literally snapping them in half. The fix is on TY if you have problems.

Any plans for adding power? There's some good stuff coming out this year. I think I'm going to run Hurricanes 280 tune. You're going to love those qs3r shocks. :bc:

Not sure.  Doing my research and will decide once the sled comes in.   Looks like Hurricane, TD and D&D have pretty good options.  

42 minutes ago, Anler said:

Getting the renegade out of storage today. Going to get it cleaned up and put it up for sale. @Biggie Smails You might want to take a look! :lol: 

Same sled you tweaked last year......

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Not sure.  Doing my research and will decide once the sled comes in.   Looks like Hurricane, TD and D&D have pretty good options.  

Dont forget Evo .....they are legit and have far more experience and resource than any of the other little sled shops

Just now, f7ben said:

Dont forget Evo .....they are legit and have far more experience and resource than any of the other little sled shops

True.   I'll keep them in the mix.

Just now, Highmark said:

True.   I'll keep them in the mix.

I have emailed them and called them and they always were prompt in answering. They also didnt act like salesmen and try to push their shit. Really smart guys. Its easy to put big numbers up and throw tunes out there etc......but as you well know there is a lot more to it then that.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

I have emailed them and called them and they always were prompt in answering. They also didnt act like salesmen and try to push their shit. Really smart guys. Its easy to put big numbers up and throw tunes out there etc......but as you well know there is a lot more to it then that.

Yep.

I find the whole 600 v. 800 thing amusing.  The 6's and 8's handle virtually the same.   Weight, CG are virtually the same.  Yes the 800 can cause mistakes but it can also make up for them.   Given 2 equal riders the 800's will be quicker.   You can't give up 30-35 hp and expect not to be at a disadvantage at times.  

53 minutes ago, Anler said:

:lmao:

48 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

bit early to get top dollar i would think.  i'll dump mine between columbus day and thanksgiving

Yep. That's when we used to sell most of our consignment sleds at CK. The Epping grass drags gets them all fired up on Columbus Day Weekend :bc:

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

So duct tape a piece of fucking wood behind the throttle .....BOOM you have a 600

Ok.  Thanks.

You know, I probably passed you as one of many when I had to ride my daughters 380 after I banged up my last sled.  I know I passed at least one turbo...going around corner. :lol:

Oh....BUT THE LAKE!!!!!!!!! :lmao:

• Like 1