Check your account email address ×

Is it too early to start talking about sleds?

• Platinum Contributing Member
30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Most don't realize that a few hundred bucks into some solid clutching (with good advice) makes that 600 a whole different machine.  Those same ones also don't realize that the 600 cc sno-x sleds are pulling more HP than their 800s straight from the factory.

Wrong.   The "factory" 600 single pipe sleds that you can buy do not have 150+ HP.  Not even close.   The pro open class 600's with all the engine work and twin pipes may but not the Pro Lites.  

Edited by Highmark

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Wrong.   The "factory" 600 single pipe sleds that you can buy do not have 150+ HP.  Not even close.   The pro open class 600's with all the engine work and twin pipes may but not the Pro Lites.  

I bought a 2001.5  ZR500 mideseason as it had the sweet boards, shocks, handlebar setup and while it was a fun sled for a while I just had to upgrade to a 2002 ZR 800 Cross Country the next season...granted it was a 500 APV motor and not a 6 it just didn't do it for me.

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

How much $$$$$$$$$ and have any pictures?:thumb:

Its on its way in now. It probably needs a bath so I will take some pics. I was going to ask $8,000 obo. Ive been looking at the current ads and that is a good price for that sled. 

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Most don't realize that a few hundred bucks into some solid clutching (with good advice) makes that 600 a whole different machine.  Those same ones also don't realize that the 600 cc sno-x sleds are pulling more HP than their 800s straight from the factory.

No, that really aren't.  A perfectly tuned stock 600 SnoX  motor is making about 142HP with a very narrow power band that is happiest between 8400 and 8800 RPM.  To achieve this kind of power out of any of the 600 SnoX motors you need to run +98 octane NonOxygenated fuel.  You need to lean the motor way way down.  You need to advance the ignition timing.  And you need to prevent holding the throttle wide open for more than 10 seconds. 

All of the 800 motors make at least 155HP and they do it all day long on 87 pump gas.  Their power band is wide with plenty of torque to get the sled moving and pulling hard all the way to top speed.  You can hold the throttle taped for as long as you want with no fear of burning a hole in a piston. 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

8 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

No, that really aren't.  A perfectly tuned stock 600 SnoX  motor is making about 142HP with a very narrow power band that is happiest between 8400 and 8800 RPM.  To achieve this kind of power out of any of the 600 SnoX motors you need to run +98 octane NonOxygenated fuel.  You need to lean the motor way way down.  You need to advance the ignition timing.  And you need to prevent holding the throttle wide open for more than 10 seconds. 

All of the 800 motors make at least 155HP and they do it all day long on 87 pump gas.  Their power band is wide with plenty of torque to get the sled moving and pulling hard all the way to top speed.  You can hold the throttle taped for as long as you want with no fear of burning a hole in a piston. 

Oops.  Yep, you guys be correct!  I got my pro-mod and stockers mixed up!  My bad.  Still,  a lot can be done with a solid 140 ponies.  And I still don't believe there are many consumer sleds making much more than 150.  Sure, the "dyno darlings" may be mid-150 range.  But that's about it....unless somebody got lucky.  Even the Doo's started coming out pig-rich to avoid burn ups.  Not sure about the latest Doo though.

2 hours ago, Anler said:

Going from an 800 to a 600 is a very noticeable difference. The 600 feels lethargic. Especially coming off of a bad ass 800 like an etec. :news:  

One of my dumbass buds ,who by the way ,always has to" one up "everyone, said there was no power difference between his 600 adventure and my 800 rush:lol:

I noticed the difference instantly.  Half throttle on the 800 is usually plenty,but I had that 600 pinned just to keep up.  No thanks 

Some of you should have seen the HCS threads about the new Poo motor in the Axys being more powerful than the Cat turbos.  I never saw so many Cat guys laughing their asses off in my life.  Some of these Poo die hards were dead serious.  Then the videos came out.  Poo guys:  "RUSSIANS!!!!!"

:lol:

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Some of you should have seen the HCS threads about the new Poo motor in the Axys being more powerful than the Cat turbos.  I never saw so many Cat guys laughing their asses off in my life.  Some of these Poo die hards were dead serious.  Then the videos came out.  Poo guys:  "RUSSIANS!!!!!"

I can see it in 0 to 50 or maybe 60

11 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I'm sure you friends like wait to replace belts jackshafts and bent tunnels lmao !!

20 minutes ago, 800 Dragon said:

I'm sure you friends like wait to replace belts jackshafts and bent tunnels lmao !!

A poo guy blasting others about reliability? Oh the irony. :lol::lmao: 

24 minutes ago, xcr700 said:

If the higher HP sleds are set up right traction wise even then the higher powered sleds are for the most part quicker.

SNOSO0217_Chart2.JPG

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

If the higher HP sleds are set up right traction wise even then the higher powered sleds are for the most part quicker.

SNOSO0217_Chart2.JPG

Looks like the 150HP Poo still crushes the 160HP Doo.  No surprise there.  

20 minutes ago, Highmark said:

SNOSO0217_Chart2.JPG

Oh yeah, sorry. ..I was referring to the old turbo ... not the 190hp monster lol . There were a few threads over there about axys vs the old turbo

3 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

I've seen reports all over the place regarding that.   No question the switchback assault is a sweet sled and Polaris does a fabulous job getting power to the snow.   Historically they always have.   I'd own one in a heartbeat.  Not a fan of the Rush personally.  

Edited by Highmark

9 minutes ago, AKIQPilot said:

From the looks of those speeds and times....Id suspect thats because of the garbage doo clutching.

Just now, AKIQPilot said:

The Poo responds to clutching as well.  

Oh shut up! :lol: I know that...But the doos is god awful...poo clutches are the standard....even in atving.

Just now, FAT DAVE said:

Oh shut up! :lol: I know that...But the doos is god awful...poo clutches are the standard....even in atving.

Hahaha.

If I were getting a new sled this year it would be an 850 Summit X 165x3".  The Doo just has too many cool features that put it ahead of all the others.  I spent some time on a 17 this past winter.  Pretty incredible sled for sure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, xcr700 said:

Tommy just got a spike up his spine..he's not sure why...but he's looking now...him and a slew of other Turbo-tards. :lol:Are you trying to piss of the volcano?

9 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Tommy just got a spike up his spine..he's not sure why...but he's looking now...him and a slew of other Turbo-tards. :lol:Are you trying to piss of the volcano?

Yes....That's why I bought insurance 

1 hour ago, Highmark said:

SNOSO0217_Chart2.JPG

Switchback for the win! Also from what I have been reading the stock clutching and gearing on those poos isnt all that great. A little tweaking and they check out big time. That motor is very torquey.