Check your account email address ×

new cat big bore ...

To this day, I think that the SnoPro chassis was the pinnacle of handling & durability for Cat. You could flog that chassis relentlessly, and it was solid. Jump it? It landed flat. It was very forgiving, and predictable. I loved that chassis, and think Cat could have done more with that chassis to cater to the hardcore crowd. 

Childrens book 11.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, krom said:

poo already released their 900

doo has had the 850 for 7 years, you think they haven't been developing a replacement for 5 years or more??!

Not just a 900, but a Turbo as well.  The 900r is  a helluva a lot of fun.  Coming to flatlanders here real soon.  Doo isn't going to sit idly by and watch either.  Cat's release is a catchup but years late....and being their first real big bore it is going to not be smooth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Did the seat move on the sp to make it feel more rf?

the entire sled was different... 

maybe looking at some pictures will help.

https://www.bosscatlegacy.com/acproto/index02.htm

08sefuk4.jpg

08efjk4ui4.jpg

08duluth986.jpg

08dfui4r.jpg

08_600_snopro_green.jpg

img_2032.jpg

Twin Spar... 

2008-arctic-cat-f5-i-500-racer.jpg

This isn't the CE dipshits ffs, and there's a wealth of actual Cat racing knowledge posting on this thread.

Just now, Ziemann said:

To this day, I think that the SnoPro chassis was the pinnacle of handling & durability for Cat. You could flog that chassis relentlessly, and it was solid. Jump it? It landed flat. It was very forgiving, and predictable. I loved that chassis, and think Cat could have done more with that chassis to cater to the hardcore crowd. 

Not just the hardcore crowd, any crowd.  

• Like 1

quick show of hands... posting in this thread that owns or owned the 2008+ SP chassis are... @Not greg b@krom @mnstang @Ziemann @Crnr2Crnr @racinfarmer @Premium

I miss anyone?  @hayward 

a fairly motley crew... formerly referred to as The Mad Catters' :lmao:

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jim is delusional if he thinks the Cat 858 won't quickly be overshadowed by releases from Polaris and Ski-Doo. 

I have said all along that the Catalyst is nothing more than a "me too" sled. They have done nothing to differentiate themselves in the market, and once this initial euphoria subsides, they will once again fade to the back. 

With that said, I WILL evaluate the Catalyst when it is time to order a new sled. They have released what I asked for, and I suspect that there are a lot of former Cat loyalists that will give it a fair shot. But a "me too" effort isn't going to be enough to get people to change brands. They must exceed what is being offered by Polaris and Doo if they want to increase marketshare. 

I look forward to a Catalyst test ride. It'll be fun to see if it lives up to the hype and can sway me back to Team Green. I now have 4000 miles on the Polaris Matryx chassis, and am very satisfied with the VR-1. Cat has their work cut out for them, and will have to do more than "Me Too" to earn my business back. 

• Like 1

Well said @Ziemann - I couldn't agree more.  Looking forward to my buddy's Catalyst this season and getting some seat time on it just to compare to the Matryx.  No longer having the outstanding dealer I previously had, and given Polaris can't seem to provide a sled without a stop/ride, it will be interesting to see how much catching up Cat did with this new model (and what the 858 will be line in 2025).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

Not just the hardcore crowd, any crowd.  

Reasonable point.

I tend to think that the SnoPro chassis catered more to the hardcore riders, and the Twin Spar catered to the plush trail riding crowd. 

Was the Procross really a big leap forward from the Twin Spar????? I think not. But the SnoPro chassis was 100% a big leap forward from the Twin Spar. 

barney1.jpg

barney2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

quick show of hands... posting in this thread that owns or owned the 2008+ SP chassis are... @Not greg b@krom @mnstang @Ziemann @Crnr2Crnr @racinfarmer @Premium

I miss anyone? 

a fairly motley crew... :lmao:

Because that sled catered to the hardcore rider. 

AND The Suzuki engines in the SnoPro chassis could be run WFO forever, and somehow held together. They were truly remarkable. 

I am looking for a sled for a step son who is a student at Michigan Tech in Houghton. I can't find a reasonably priced and clean SnoPro anywhere. It would be the perfect sled for him if I could find a clean (and reasonably priced) one. 

14 minutes ago, Bontz said:

Well said @Ziemann - I couldn't agree more.  Looking forward to my buddy's Catalyst this season and getting some seat time on it just to compare to the Matryx.  No longer having the outstanding dealer I previously had, and given Polaris can't seem to provide a sled without a stop/ride, it will be interesting to see how much catching up Cat did with this new model (and what the 858 will be line in 2025).

I'm lucky to still have an excellent dealer so have never been left without a sled to ride.  Dealer with them since 1989 and also ride with them on occasion helps.

All the guys in our group that use to ride Arctic Cat have switch to Polaris or Ski-Doo.  Couple dealers have also been dropped or have dropped Cat.  We will have nobody our group on a Catalyst.  The locate Ski-Doo dealer is also a Cat dealer and a number of Ski-Doo guys buy from them so maybe one couple get demo.  They did give them a Lynx demo couple years back

19 minutes ago, Ziemann said:

Because that sled catered to the hardcore rider. 

AND The Suzuki engines in the SnoPro chassis could be run WFO forever, and somehow held together. They were truly remarkable. 

I am looking for a sled for a step son who is a student at Michigan Tech in Houghton. I can't find a reasonably priced and clean SnoPro anywhere. It would be the perfect sled for him if I could find a clean (and reasonably priced) one. 

If they could have put a consumer 600fi and 800fi in it they wouldn't have needed the Procross imo.  But it was already in the pipeline and fit the upcoming 4S mills.  My brothers 21 RXC is pretty good in the ditch but I prefer the SP chassis.  Hopefully @Not greg b and I can do some side by side comparison with his 129 Cattle Ass this winter.

Blast from the past....

https://www.snowmobile.com/products/inside-arctic-cats-procross-race-suspension-1450.html

Edited by Crnr2Crnr
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Deephaven said:

In the 2 stroke world the Procross is great for inexperienced and women riders. Outside of that there are much better choices.

Well, i guess i better bring extra tampons before riding my procross this winter. At least i'll be riding and not waiting for a recall to get done!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

If they could have put a consumer 600fi and 800fi in it they wouldn't have needed the Procross imo.  But it was already in the pipeline and fit the upcoming 4S mills.  My brothers 21 RXC is pretty good in the ditch but I prefer the SP chassis.  Hopefully @Not greg b and I can do some side by side comparison with his 129 Cattle Ass this winter.

Blast from the past....

https://www.snowmobile.com/products/inside-arctic-cats-procross-race-suspension-1450.html

Both engines would have fit and worked, (I had an F1000 setting in my chassis, before going with an F9ss engine)
It would have needed consumer grade plastics, headlights, and switchgear.

I still miss that sled, maybe its because time fades the bad memories, or maybe its because to this day I haven't been on anything that worked as well as it did.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, krom said:

Both engines would have fit and worked, (I had an F1000 setting in my chassis, before going with an F9ss engine)
It would have needed consumer grade plastics, headlights, and switchgear.

I still miss that sled, maybe its because time fades the bad memories, or maybe its because to this day I haven't been on anything that worked as well as it did.

the fit and finish of the SP definitely wasn't for everyone, but frankly I could care less as don't gaf about that.  very simple basic sled, huge bang for the buck.  probably the best purchase(s) I've ever made.  changing the gearing for this season... ;)

https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/37387-dd-sno-pro-500720/&do=findComment&comment=1517781

can we shoehorn an 858 into one?  :roflcrying: 

Edited by Crnr2Crnr

2 hours ago, wrinkly balls said:

Well, i guess i better bring extra tampons before riding my procross this winter. At least i'll be riding and not waiting for a recall to get done!!!!

Wait till his old lady goes to start his Poo and blows her weave off. 👨🏽‍🦲

Edited by Turbo Kitty
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Deephaven said:

In the 2 stroke world the Procross is great for inexperienced and women riders. Outside of that there are much better choices.

Ask Herfindahl that. You think you’re manly enough to take him on his pro cross? You’d be peeing your pants

1 hour ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

the fit and finish of the SP definitely wasn't for everyone, but frankly I could care less as don't gaf about that.  very simple basic sled, huge bang for the buck.  probably the best purchase(s) I've ever made.  changing the gearing for this season... ;)

https://www.freedomsledder.com/index.php?/topic/37387-dd-sno-pro-500720/&do=findComment&comment=1517781

can we shoehorn an 858 into one?  :roflcrying: 

yes, but an F7 based 8XX cc engine is basically a bolt in, would be way cheaper, and make more HP...

Edited by krom

2 hours ago, krom said:

yes, but an F7 based 8XX cc engine is basically a bolt in, would be way cheaper, and make more HP...

yeah, but that wouldn't cost $9k or be a big clusterfuck.  :roflcrying:

honestly, I love my little 500 as much or more than the 720

6 hours ago, Ziemann said:

Jim is delusional if he thinks the Cat 858 won't quickly be overshadowed by releases from Polaris and Ski-Doo. 

I have said all along that the Catalyst is nothing more than a "me too" sled. They have done nothing to differentiate themselves in the market, and once this initial euphoria subsides, they will once again fade to the back. 

With that said, I WILL evaluate the Catalyst when it is time to order a new sled. They have released what I asked for, and I suspect that there are a lot of former Cat loyalists that will give it a fair shot. But a "me too" effort isn't going to be enough to get people to change brands. They must exceed what is being offered by Polaris and Doo if they want to increase marketshare. 

I look forward to a Catalyst test ride. It'll be fun to see if it lives up to the hype and can sway me back to Team Green. I now have 4000 miles on the Polaris Matryx chassis, and am very satisfied with the VR-1. Cat has their work cut out for them, and will have to do more than "Me Too" to earn my business back. 

To call it a me too sled..  not sure what you mean.  Are you so simple minded that you can look at a machine and think you know what's it's like to ride?  The character of the sled.  The handling.  The liveliness the FEELING you get riding it etc? 

If I showed you 6 different brand dirt bikes you'd probably think they're all the same too?  All me too'ing each other.  Although they all have their own traits and cater to all different kinds of riders and the difference is obvious when ridden by anyone who can ride.  Hell they "look" the same as bikes from twenty years ago but I can tell you they are nothing like them to ride, not in any way whatsoever.

I guarantee you without riding any 2024 sled that models from each brand are all very different with their own feel.  Seems you analyze sleds in very simple terms by looking at pictures and can judge it as being the same as another one.  I don't think you have the first clue as to everything that goes into a machine.  Me too sled.. what does that even mean?  What do you think cat should have done differently? --> honest question 

And would Polaris be a me too sled to skidoo?  How did you previously decide on your brand if Polaris and skidoo are the same?

I think we are extremely different and it's important to understand that other riders are probably different from you in ways that you or I can't understand.  Ride whatever you ride.

You guys say anyone who gives counter points to all your people's hatred has green glasses.  You're the one's obsessed with a brand you claim to hate.  Go search how many times I've posted on the Polaris or skidoo forums.  I couldn't care less what they're doing, good, bad, or other.  I think 90% of the haydays people felt the same way from what I could tell!

Hell look at this thread.  There can't be any topic related to cat that doesn't spiral into shit after 5 posts.  It is kind of just like people's hatred obsession for a certain orange man.

• Like 1