Check your account email address ×

Who’s says 80’s cars aren’t worth shit

1 minute ago, DriftBusta said:

Fools.

My neighbor has a GN with 12k on it. Everything is original and he only paid $32k for it 8 years ago. He is really into them and he told me a bunch of owners tucked them away back then. Lots of really clean ones out there. The same is happening to the Jeep TrackHawks. I know two people that bought them and drive them very little. They are tucked away as a investment car. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
3 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My neighbor has a GN with 12k on it. Everything is original and he only paid $32k for it 8 years ago. He is really into them and he told me a bunch of owners tucked them away back then. Lots of really clean ones out there. The same is happening to the Jeep TrackHawks. I know two people that bought them and drive them very little. They are tucked away as a investment car. 

My uncle has a 85 IROC Z with less then 800 miles on it tucked away. A WS6 with less than 3000 on it and him and my dad both bought 2002 Camaro LE cars...ours has 15k and his is 1200. He has three boys so he bought a special edition cars for them each time my aunt got pregnant  :lol: 

• Like 3

• Gold Member
14 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

That’s a no from me. Love the car but wouldn’t pay over $35k for one. 

I think it be hard to find a regular grand national even clapped out for less than 35k these days. They go for crazy money.

45 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

My daughter has a Cherokee Limited and it’s a sweet little ride but those Trackhawks are cool as hell.👊🏻🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Woodtick said:

A friend of a friend purchased one for his son when he was born. Did all the necessary storage stuff then put it up on blocks and said the car will be his son's when he turns 18.

Another friend of mine purchased one brand new as a Sunday driver. Real low mileage on it still, and with the addition of satin finish Weld Racing wheels, it looks real good. :bc:

EDIT: Centerline satin finish wheels. https://centerlinewheels.com/wheel/005-auto-drag-2-0/

Edited by irv

I got a chance to ride in a GNX back when they 1st came out. A friend's uncle had a GN and a GNX. We drove down to Lynnfield, MA from NH just to go for a ride. They were pretty quick for the era.

I can't remember where, but there is a guy with over 100 GNs and a few GNXs sitting in a field just rotting away. He's been offered crazy money for the lot of them, but won't sell.

• Sad 1

The GNX was 30k msrp, in 1987.

At %5 interest on an investment, that 30k would now be 165K.

No storage, maintenance, insurance etc.

Cars, with few exceptions are horrible investments.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I would like to have an early IH Scout in good shape…they rusted like mofos but still cool in my book.👍🏼🇺🇸

I remember when they were pretty popular when I was a kid. Like you said, they were rust buckets that were probably most popular in the rust belt, lol

• Haha 2

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, ckf said:

According to the listing 3 GNX's sold at Barrett Jackson for around 300k

Screenshot_20220807-094535.png

They’ve been going for crazy money for a few years but until I seen this ebay ad I didn’t realize how crazy 😂. It makes me wonder though why the 89 turbo trans am doesn’t fetch 300k it’s basically the same drivetrains with very low production numbers.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 800renegaderider said:

They’ve been going for crazy money for a few years but until I seen this ebay ad I didn’t realize how crazy 😂. It makes me wonder though why the 89 turbo trans am doesn’t fetch 300k it’s basically the same drivetrains with very low production numbers.

I've always preferred the looks of GM's G body cars over their F bodies. They were the muscle cars of the 80's. In general I'm guessing way more F bodies were sold. Especially if you are just counting the GN, Monte SS, Olds 442 and whatever the hopped up Grand Prix was called at the time.

• Like 1

• Gold Member
1 hour ago, Skidooski said:

My uncle has a 85 IROC Z with less then 800 miles on it tucked away. A WS6 with less than 3000 on it and him and my dad both bought 2002 Camaro LE cars...ours has 15k and his is 1200. He has three boys so he bought a special edition cars for them each time my aunt got pregnant  :lol: 

Thats sick.

Ive been on the hunt for a low mile 02 Camaro SS . Just wont overpay for one. 

Ive owned a 99 Z28 and a 00 Trans Am . Both black 6 speeds. Those F bodies are still my favorite Cars. 

• Gold Member
9 minutes ago, ckf said:

I've always preferred the looks of GM's G body cars over their F bodies. They were the muscle cars of the 80's. In general I'm guessing way more F bodies were sold. Especially if you are just counting the GN, Monte SS, Olds 442 and whatever the hopped up Grand Prix was called at the time.

I dont know lots and lots of regular G bodies sold. maybe if you just count the performance models 

Cutlass was Americas best selling car at one point in the 80s before Toyota took over.  Here is a link to just their production numbers 

http://tech.oldsgmail.com/misc_styles.php

Edited by EvilBird
  • Like 1

nostalgia buys for the 50-60 year olds.  boomers drove the prices of the 60's and early 70's vehicles up.  now we see gen xers doing it to the toilets of the 80's.   

TBH i want an early 80's clean LS swapped blazer/jimmy but they are going for silly money now as they rusted so easily.  just got back from a trip to Utah/Idaho/MOntana and Utah and saw a fair number of old vehicles out there you never see in the rust belt from old domestic trucks to 80/90's toyotas that rot real easy so maybe i'll look out there,

• Like 2

• Gold Member
10 minutes ago, ckf said:

Same G body cars looks much nicer to me. I guess obviously people like that style more since it’s worth so much more 😂 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EvilBird said:

Thats sick.

Ive been on the hunt for a low mile 02 Camaro SS . Just wont overpay for one. 

Ive owned a 99 Z28 and a 00 Trans Am . Both black 6 speeds. Those F bodies are still my favorite Cars. 

Still one of my favourites too

• Like 1