Check your account email address ×

Who’s says 80’s cars aren’t worth shit

Curious...how many Grand National GNX models are sitting in storage???

Remember the 1978 Corvette Indy 500 Pace car ???  

Prices spiked + crashed after the market saw how many original examples were sitting indoors under cover...

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Voodoo said:

The GNX was 30k msrp, in 1987.

At %5 interest on an investment, that 30k would now be 165K.

No storage, maintenance, insurance etc.

Cars, with few exceptions are horrible investments.

I had ordered a GN that priced out a little under 18k.  I was going to school and thought it would be a fun car for the money.  The dealer called with a bad news good news scenario.  The order was canceled, but I was number nine on the list for a limited edition model.  He didn't know a whole lot other than the bigger power and limited features. (Tires, rims, stabilizers, dash and seat emblems, off the top of my head) .  The price difference was roughly ten grand more for the GNX.

That was a tough decision for a college kid.  I was smart enough to know the car would go up in value, but I needed to park the thing for awhile.  I would still need a daily driver.  I sure as heck didn't want to give up fun money to pay for two cars while going to school.  I did some rough math and figured the money would cost too much.

I told the dealer to let it go to another customer.  It wasn't easy seeing that car running around town getting beat to piss.  Oddly enough, I ran into the owner at parties.  He knew the back story and handed me the keys so I could "drive" the thing.  It was tire burning machine that did easy shitties.  The dude really didn't care about the car or money.  I'd buy him a couple beers and we'd laugh that he needed another set of tires.  Ironically, I talked to him years later and he had bought another one with low miles.  Said he was going to park that one. ;)

• Gold Member
49 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

nostalgia buys for the 50-60 year olds.  boomers drove the prices of the 60's and early 70's vehicles up.  now we see gen xers doing it to the toilets of the 80's.   

TBH i want an early 80's clean LS swapped blazer/jimmy but they are going for silly money now as they rusted so easily.  just got back from a trip to Utah/Idaho/MOntana and Utah and saw a fair number of old vehicles out there you never see in the rust belt from old domestic trucks to 80/90's toyotas that rot real easy so maybe i'll look out there,

Yeah s10s went way up 

2 door s10 blazer with a LS swap would be tits. There is one local thats built pretty nice. 

The Typhoons and Syclones are nuts price wise also. 

• Like 1

• Gold Member
35 minutes ago, ACE said:

98 turbo trans am

89 ZR1 

both cool 

My bud has a C4 ZR1 . its no show car but he drives the shit out of it. cool cars indeed. 

turbo trans am you must of meant 1989 also.  

Friend worked with Bobby Allison when Bobby worked at Kiekhaefer Mercury for a couple summers and maintained the friendship over the years.  When Bobby was racing a Buick he helped my friend get a GNX.  He rarely drove the car as he had other collector cars and it was kept in a heated garage.  When he down sized he actually sold the car to Redge Jackson. Guy came to inspect the car and all the paper work with the car.  Said he needed to verify some things and would get back to him.  They worked a deal and the car was picked up later in an enclosed trailer.

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 hours ago, Skidooski said:

My uncle has a 85 IROC Z with less then 800 miles on it tucked away. A WS6 with less than 3000 on it and him and my dad both bought 2002 Camaro LE cars...ours has 15k and his is 1200. He has three boys so he bought a special edition cars for them each time my aunt got pregnant  :lol: 

This is the last I saw of my 85 Iroc that I bought new....someone from Albany NY bought it from me about 5 years ago. Had every available option totalling nearly 6k. Put it on Craigs list and sold in a day sight unseen.....it needed a lot of work. Sat outside ungaraged for 30+ years...floor pans were rotted. Kinda wish I hung onto it but just too much work for me to restore.  The guy that bought it was a collector and had a dozen other Irocs and needed my color combo to complete his collection. 

20161127_105425.jpg

20161120_170707.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ckf said:

I got a chance to ride in a GNX back when they 1st came out. A friend's uncle had a GN and a GNX. We drove down to Lynnfield, MA from NH just to go for a ride. They were pretty quick for the era.

They were the coolest cars of that era for sure. I was a porter for a Buick dealership in 87 and we had 2. I wasn't allowed to touch them. The service manager took me out in a joy ride in one and it was my first ride in a turbo car. They were cool for sure. That chassis is a piece of shit tho. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Cars like this have turned into appreciating investments/assets. 

As the ole Kenny Rogers song goes, you need to know when the hold'em, know when to fold'em.

I have a friend that is like 125% convinced his 2006(ish?) Impala SS with a pile of miles on it is going to be worth big money some day. 

It sits in a shed with the door open, covered in pigeon shit...

34 minutes ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

This is the last I saw of my 85 Iroc that I bought new....someone from Albany NY bought it from me about 5 years ago. Had every available option totalling nearly 6k. Put it on Craigs list and sold in a day sight unseen.....it needed a lot of work. Sat outside ungaraged for 30+ years...floor pans were rotted. Kinda wish I hung onto it but just too much work for me to restore.  The guy that bought it was a collector and had a dozen other Irocs and needed my color combo to complete his collection. 

20161127_105425.jpg

20161120_170707.jpg

In your ownership tenure of the caah, did you ever find out what IROC really stood for?

1 minute ago, racinfarmer said:

As the ole Kenny Rogers song goes, you need to know when the hold'em, know when to fold'em.

I have a friend that is like 125% convinced his 2006(ish?) Impala SS with a pile of miles on it is going to be worth big money some day. 

In your ownership tenure of the caah, did you ever find out what IROC really stood for?

International Race of Champions 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, racinfarmer said:

Italian Retard Out Cruising ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

I would like to have an early IH Scout in good shape…they rusted like mofos but still cool in my book.👍🏼🇺🇸

I have a friend who at one time had 8-10 of them. He thought they were God's gift. He had a daily with a 4 banger. A stock original that he never drove and one with the half doors. That one was an off road rig, 304 with 4 speed, spring over, 36" tires, lockers front and back. The rest were for parts. One day he just changed his mind and sold them all off except the offroader which has been stored for 8-10 years now.

Another buddy of mine was just showing me pictures of when we all went offroading together for a weekend.

This was my Bronco in the driveway after coming home from that trip. This would be 1995? I sold the Bronco to a friend a year later for $3500 so I could buy a 3/4 ton to go plowing with.

Bronco.thumb.jpg.ae9acfbe7add6a6e8ab7fdcbf495d0cc.jpg

Wish I had it back.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, EvilBird said:

Thats sick.

Ive been on the hunt for a low mile 02 Camaro SS . Just wont overpay for one. 

Ive owned a 99 Z28 and a 00 Trans Am . Both black 6 speeds. Those F bodies are still my favorite Cars. 

Here's an 02 LE car.....6 speed convertible with 105 miles and in CT  :thumb:    80K  :o

https://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/camaro/2002/vin/2G1FP32G022120571/?fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR2HI1pUNZD9Sv0mGZbbScW-nhe8DJByt4abLJKoVdS4OKFCtI1aVimERWo

Edited by Skidooski

6 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

20161127_105425.jpg

20161120_170707.jpg

I still kind have a soft spot for the Gen III Camaro. Total mullet mobile.  I haven't seen my uncles in 30+ years. Not many have since it's in one of his garages on a lift.

Somehow when I was thinking of 80's cars my mind went here:  :lol: 

image.thumb.png.196003a161a2957870d27456d232896e.png

We walked away with generally favorable impressions from our first drive. The 175-hp Merkur enthralled us with its 8.3-second 0-60-mph run, faster than many big V-8-powered musclecars of the day

https://www.motortrend.com/vehicle-genres/1985-1989-merkur-xr4ti-buyers-guide/

• Haha 2