Check your account email address ×

Rising Mortgage Rates v. Home Sales

Keeping 2 homes can kill a retirement budget. We are down to one now and don’t miss the monthly expenses.

I don’t miss the 2 power, dish, tax, water etc bills every month.

fired up the 15 year old split system… boom she goes.

Turned on the EXPY AC this morning ….warm air.

Fuck me.

“You can fix anything if you throw enough money at it”

• Like 1

Give it time, it won’t happen over night. House sales were down again. The higher rates will effect it. Inventory problem will fix itself when people figure out their 1500 dollar a month house is good enough vs buying a 3000 dollar a month house to upgrade. 

• Platinum Contributing Member
4 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

I had cold feet also but it went away in a couple of weeks. Its scary suddenly not having a place to go every day, a regular paycheck, and no one bit the wife to answer to.

Now.........I fucking love it! Lol

I guess it will just take some time to adapt....but I admit I have become very lazy these last 5 months of not working and when I stepped on the scale the other day, I couldn't believe I have put on almost 25lbs......granted I have not been very active from hernia surgery. But the last thing I want to do is fall in a rut and not do too much, especially coming from a non-stop high calorie burning job.

1 hour ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I guess it will just take some time to adapt....but I admit I have become very lazy these last 5 months of not working and when I stepped on the scale the other day, I couldn't believe I have put on almost 25lbs......granted I have not been very active from hernia surgery. But the last thing I want to do is fall in a rut and not do too much, especially coming from a non-stop high calorie burning job.

Unless your hips or knees are fucked, start walking. Best fat burning exercise in the world. 

14 hours ago, toslow said:

You’re in a great spot in NS, always something to do and see around every corner 

We are lucky to be retired and can head out on daily adventures. This summer we'll spend alot of time on the pontoon,on the dock and in the water. 

On 5/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, ICG said:

Rising Interest Rates  . . How will it affect your Real Estate purchases?

1.)  Will you shop / buy a new home?

2.)  Will you put your home on the market?

Mine's going on the market Monday... Curious, how cash v. Conventional buyers will be affected, if at all.

Realtors keep telling me there is little or no inventory.

Unfortunately, I find nothing exciting on the market....Still, time to move.

sell it now for bank. Buy it back in 2 yrs at forclosure.

10 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Unless your hips or knees are fucked, start walking. Best fat burning exercise in the world. 

Yup, walking is important.  If knees or hips prevent walking, get them fixed so you can. 

Few weeks ago when we were hiking in Utah I lost 10 pounds.  My back was hurting when I got there from sitting on the plane and in the car. Felt good after getting going the second day. Only thing that was bothering me when we left at the end of the week was blisters on my feet!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Skidude600 said:

We are in the same boat. Weighing if I should continue to spruce up the primary residence and wait to sell or take advantage of the market and sell as is. Cabin up north is paid for so we have plans to retire there, but not quite ready to pull the trigger and leave the work force. Financially we could retire, but feels too early.

I’ve asked you previously but it slipped my mind…whereabouts is your cabin…Mio sounds right.🤷🏻👍🏼

12 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Funny you said that, my knee has been hurtin lately. Stopped taking my gelatin, thinking I wouldn't need it since I haven't been very  active.....but I guess there is some truth to the addage of "Body in motion, stays in motion, body at rest , stays at rest."  Takes me awhile to get moving but once I start walking the pain goes away.

Will start back on the gelatin and I am on week #4 post hernia surgery and Dr. said I can resume most activity soon, including weight lifting.

Weight has really fluctuated wildly from losing 20lb covid related to gaining it all back plus another 25lbs......but this extra weight will melt right off once I get more active... I usually have trouble keeping weight on not off, which is a good problem I guess.

13 hours ago, spin_dry said:

We do lots of walks at this house.  The only one exempt is the fatass orange cat.  He doesn't fully appreciate it and has a bad attitude to top it off.

17 hours ago, ViperGTS/Z1 said:

I went on a diet and I'm down 30lbs since we retired march 31st. I'm so busy I forget to eat. I was in sales so I was either sitting in my truck or in my office all the time. Now I'm active all day.

Edited by Big Crappie
  • Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 3:00 PM, DriftBusta said:

Wife and I want to list ours and build a house but are torn.  We have a low rate mortgage that if we have to replace, will likely be at twice the rate if not more in a couple months.  And prices are still high.  Cash buyers will be in the catbird seat in a few months I think when prices start coming down.  I don't see how these higher rates aren't going to really squeeze the housing market.  

i think rates will come back down to low to mid 4's when they push us into recession.   But building costs are so outraeous still.  

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

i think rates will come back down to low to mid 4's when they push us into recession.   But building costs are so outraeous still.  

We’re around 2.75 I think right now.  4s are manageable.  I was afraid that we would be 5-6-? before too long.

4 minutes ago, DriftBusta said:

We’re around 2.75 I think right now.  4s are manageable.  I was afraid that we would be 5-6-? before too long.

I think it's in the 5% range around here already (MN) .. for a 30 year anyway.  A 15 year term isn't much better being in the mid 4's - or at least that's what I thought a friend/couple was telling us recently as they transition between selling their place and moving to a new home.  The prices they're paying for a newly built 2-bedroom apartment in the Twin Cities is enough to make me puke.  Over $3K/month!?!?!

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

I think it's in the 5% range around here already (MN) .. for a 30 year anyway.  A 15 year term isn't much better being in the mid 4's - or at least that's what I thought a friend/couple was telling us recently as they transition between selling their place and moving to a new home.  The prices they're paying for a newly built 2-bedroom apartment in the Twin Cities is enough to make me puke.  Over $3K/month!?!?!

I rolled into a 15 last winter at @2.375

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

mid 5's now but i think we will see hat drop back a bit and most investors are pricing loans that way anticipating loans in the 5's will be refinanced off fairly quickly

1 hour ago, Bontz said:

low to mid 5's depending on score and yes 15 year spread minimal.   Right now the best value for many is to pay a point. in a normal market a point gets you .25 better rate,  now we can sometimes see .75 better and .5 is common in pricing models.  Thats because it reduces the prepay risk for refinacing.  

On 5/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, DriftBusta said:

Wife and I want to list ours and build a house but are torn.  We have a low rate mortgage that if we have to replace, will likely be at twice the rate if not more in a couple months.  And prices are still high.  Cash buyers will be in the catbird seat in a few months I think when prices start coming down.  I don't see how these higher rates aren't going to really squeeze the housing market.  

You would be out if your mind to build right now . It is fucking stupid out there. 

Not complaining I already made this yr what I did all last yr . I feel sort of bad but fuck it if they want to pay.  I have told all my regulars I will only do emergency work on there homes right now because I won't fuck them . Only new stupid ass hats 

Fuckers ate paying 30k + for shitty bath remodels with glue up showers and lvp floors lol . 

Daughter and sil sold their house. Despite the higher rates they were in a three way bidding war. House went for $1.2M via FISBO. They paid $550k 5 years ago. 5 acres on a lake in Maple Grove MN. Helluva profit. They're looking at places in Idaho this week. They have plenty of latitude. 

On 5/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, Skidude600 said:

Must've missed that. What did you guys get?

We lost our Agnes to a platelet disease and we were all pretty heartbroken but especially my wife so we found this little cutie on CL…she’s a Maltese/Schitzu and a little firecracker! 🐶🤣

6AFB999D-9515-48F9-BBB6-737307C0C7AD.thumb.jpeg.107c8f1eb1a8eb86503e0c10977a7120.jpeg

DECBB35B-3ADB-4376-B715-BFF9193EA421.thumb.jpeg.6541f52f3d9ae674f167eacd692b7481.jpeg

Edited by Jimmy Snacks
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Jimmy Snacks said:

We lost our Agnes to a platelet disease and we were all pretty heartbroken but especially my wife so we found this little cutie on CL…she’s a Maltese/Schitzu and a little firecracker! 🐶🤣

6AFB999D-9515-48F9-BBB6-737307C0C7AD.thumb.jpeg.107c8f1eb1a8eb86503e0c10977a7120.jpeg

DECBB35B-3ADB-4376-B715-BFF9193EA421.thumb.jpeg.6541f52f3d9ae674f167eacd692b7481.jpeg

They do grow on you.  

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

Daughter and sil sold their house. Despite the higher rates they were in a three way bidding war. House went for $1.2M via FISBO. They paid $550k 5 years ago. 5 acres on a lake in Maple Grove MN. Helluva profit. They're looking at places in Idaho this week. They have plenty of latitude. 

Similar to my sil, she just sold her cottage for 1.3M, bought about 5 years ago for 400K.  Went 400K over asking (900K).  Crazy market.