Check your account email address ×

What's for dinner???

7 minutes ago, ckf said:

That sounds good. One of my favorite dishes is venison sausage, bacon, potatoes, onions and green peppers.

Mmmmm......yep.  I haven't had any venison sausage in a while.  

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Mmmmm......yep.  I haven't had any venison sausage in a while.  

Me either. I have some venison brats in the freezer that my neighbor gave me. Between him and his dad they tagged out in VT last year with 5 deer. They ended up getting a NH license at the end of the year but didn't get anything.

8 minutes ago, ckf said:

Me either. I have some venison brats in the freezer that my neighbor gave me. Between him and his dad they tagged out in VT last year with 5 deer. They ended up getting a NH license at the end of the year but didn't get anything.

Hunting was slim here too.  Damn deer are getting smart.  I can turn on the lights almost every night and have 3 or 4 in my yard.  As soon as deer season arrives, "POOF!"  they're gone.  I got one with my truck last year though.  Apparently it's just guns they fear. :wall:

3 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Hunting was slim here too.  Damn deer are getting smart.  I can turn on the lights almost every night and have 3 or 4 in my yard.  As soon as deer season arrives, "POOF!"  they're gone.  I got one with my truck last year though.  Apparently it's just guns they fear. :wall:

My cabin is near a ski hill. The deer hang around all year and head to the hill on opening day. They know nobody is hunting there. You can see them standing on the hill. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

Did you get to keep the meat from the one that you hit?

Just now, ckf said:

Did you get to keep the meat from the one that you hit?

I think I could have if I called it in.  But it was a mess.  Big fat doe ripped up pretty bad after taking out the left front and whole left side of my truck.  It was drug off that night by wolves or a bear.  I could see the trail where it was pulled over the tall grass into the woods.  Nothing goes to waste.  Except my bumper, headlight, fog light, fender, and two doors.  Ughhh......

13 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

I think I could have if I called it in.  But it was a mess.  Big fat doe ripped up pretty bad after taking out the left front and whole left side of my truck.  It was drug off that night by wolves or a bear.  I could see the trail where it was pulled over the tall grass into the woods.  Nothing goes to waste.  Except my bumper, headlight, fog light, fender, and two doors.  Ughhh......

I didn't realize you had wolves in MN. We only have coyotes around here.

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Oh yeah.  Plenty of them around.  I've seen two on the roads just taking an easy stroll.  Found this when I was checking out the early season trail.  It was a bit unnerving.  You get the feeling they are watching.  It could have been a big dog too but I followed the tracks for a while and it tracked like a wolf and up into the woods.  I've got some pics of trail side kills too...somewhere.  They pick those carcasses pretty clean.

Track.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Oh yeah.  Plenty of them around.  I've seen two on the roads just taking an easy stroll.  Found this when I was checking out the early season trail.  It was a bit unnerving.  You get the feeling they are watching.  It could have been a big dog too but I followed the tracks for a while and it tracked like a wolf and up into the woods.  I've got some pics of trail side kills too...somewhere.  They pick those carcasses pretty clean.

Track.jpg

the wolf center in Ely has been doing a lot of work repopulating . good or bad unsure . looks to correlate with moose decline ?  

4 hours ago, ckf said:

tons of those fuckers in MN Metro I see them even downtown around the sculpture garden from time to time .

my buds wife packs a 9 on walks now after 1 followed her and her dog down the luice line trail . she called the cops and they came and shot it .

crazy amount of missing small dogs and cat posters in recent yrs . a bud has a farm close to me and he has guys hunting them every week and they almost never skunk out

3 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

the wolf center in Ely has been doing a lot of work repopulating . good or bad unsure . looks to correlate with moose decline ?  

the ticks are killing the moose here in new england.

27 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

Yeah, I don't think they know why the moose population is declining.  It's kinda weird.  'Course all the hunters blame the wolves....makes me wanna question the 2nd amendment.  Tards!  "I can't hunt for shit....DAMN WOLVES!!!!  And Russians!!!!!"

:lol:

38 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

they are unsure what is killing  them of in MN lots of theory  

Concord — In the battle between ticks and moose, the blood-sucking insects seem to have the upper hand.

Preliminary numbers from a project earlier this year in New Hampshire that put tracking collars on at least 36 calves are not encouraging. They show nearly 75 percent of the calves have died from ticks.

Rines said it’s the second straight year of a high mortality rate for moose calves.

“It doesn’t bode well for moose in the long term if we continue to have these short winters,” she said.

The ticks are dependent on a combination of shorter winters and moose density.

“As our moose numbers decline, the ticks will decline, as well,” Rines added. “What we don’t know is at what point will things level off.”

Last year, 20 of 27 moose calves tagged by state biologists had died by late April in New Hampshire, compared to 13 of 22 in 2014.

The tagging project in New Hampshire and Maine is part of a six-year moose mortality study that began in 2014. Biologists in New Hampshire and Maine are teaming up to help determine why moose populations in the region are declining.

Moose calf mortality in Maine, which has the largest moose population in the continental United States with an estimated 60,000 to 70,000 animals, dropped last year from 73 percent to 60 percent. Adult moose did even better, with mortality falling from 33 percent to 8 percent in that time. Biologists said that was encouraging, but that winter ticks are still a problem with regard to moose deaths.

Vermont also has cited winter ticks contributing to moose mortality. Vermont biologists have been worried about how ticks affect moose as well, but the state hasn’t been participating in the tracking collar study. Nevertheless, Vermont has a lower moose density than New Hampshire and tick counts done on bull moose shot by hunters in the fall have been consistently lower than in New Hampshire and Maine, said Vermont moose biologist Cedric Alexander.

“We pay very close attention. We’re very interested and alarmed when we see that kind of mortality in a collared animal study next door,” he said.

The capture crew used net-guns and tranquilizer darts to capture the moose in northern New Hampshire so the animals could be collared. Blood and other samples were collected to help evaluate the health of the moose.

Preliminary numbers from Maine were not available at press time.

The collared animals are monitored for as long as the collars keep transmitting. When a moose dies, the collars transmit a special signal, allowing researchers to get there as soon as possible to determine the cause of death.

“We’ve got a long way to go before we’ve got specific answers, but we’re trying,” Rines said.

11 minutes ago, ckf said:

Concord — In the battle between ticks and moose, the blood-sucking insects seem to have the upper hand.

Preliminary numbers from a project earlier this year in New Hampshire that put tracking collars on at least 36 calves are not encouraging. They show nearly 75 percent of the calves have died from ticks.

Rines said it’s the second straight year of a high mortality rate for moose calves.

“It doesn’t bode well for moose in the long term if we continue to have these short winters,” she said.

The ticks are dependent on a combination of shorter winters and moose density.

“As our moose numbers decline, the ticks will decline, as well,” Rines added. “What we don’t know is at what point will things level off.”

Last year, 20 of 27 moose calves tagged by state biologists had died by late April in New Hampshire, compared to 13 of 22 in 2014.

The tagging project in New Hampshire and Maine is part of a six-year moose mortality study that began in 2014. Biologists in New Hampshire and Maine are teaming up to help determine why moose populations in the region are declining.

Moose calf mortality in Maine, which has the largest moose population in the continental United States with an estimated 60,000 to 70,000 animals, dropped last year from 73 percent to 60 percent. Adult moose did even better, with mortality falling from 33 percent to 8 percent in that time. Biologists said that was encouraging, but that winter ticks are still a problem with regard to moose deaths.

Vermont also has cited winter ticks contributing to moose mortality. Vermont biologists have been worried about how ticks affect moose as well, but the state hasn’t been participating in the tracking collar study. Nevertheless, Vermont has a lower moose density than New Hampshire and tick counts done on bull moose shot by hunters in the fall have been consistently lower than in New Hampshire and Maine, said Vermont moose biologist Cedric Alexander.

“We pay very close attention. We’re very interested and alarmed when we see that kind of mortality in a collared animal study next door,” he said.

The capture crew used net-guns and tranquilizer darts to capture the moose in northern New Hampshire so the animals could be collared. Blood and other samples were collected to help evaluate the health of the moose.

Preliminary numbers from Maine were not available at press time.

The collared animals are monitored for as long as the collars keep transmitting. When a moose dies, the collars transmit a special signal, allowing researchers to get there as soon as possible to determine the cause of death.

“We’ve got a long way to go before we’ve got specific answers, but we’re trying,” Rines said.

Good grief.  Sad.  I fucking hate ticks.  Weirdly here in N. MN (my area anyway), there just aren't many I see.  I pull one or two off of me and maybe about 3-5 a summer off of the dogs/cats.  This mild winter may give their population a boost though.

Just now, Zambroski said:

Good grief.  Sad.  I fucking hate ticks.  Weirdly here in N. MN (my area anyway), there just aren't many I see.  I pull one or two off of me and maybe about 3-5 a summer off of the dogs/cats.  This mild winter may give their population a boost though.

We don't seem to have any of the deer ticks around here. They were pretty bad where we lived in central NH.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

We don't seem to have any of the deer ticks around here. They were pretty bad where we lived in central NH.

I think the arrowhead in MN (and your area?) still get's cold enough winters to keep them under control.  

Image result for tick population in minnesota

1 minute ago, Zambroski said:

I think the arrowhead in MN (and your area?) still get's cold enough winters to keep them under control.  

If -30F doesn't kill them I don't know what would.

30 minutes ago, Zambroski said:

yeah I have a place in Longville . I wont even bring the dogs up thee in the summer any more. I know no one around my cabin who has not lost a dog to lyme. I have gotten the bull's-eyes 2 times from those fuckers but no lyme's   .

ok I shit u not as I was typing this the wife yells from the bedroom there is a tick in the bed . so I just checked 1 dog she is working over the other 2 . to early for this shit . got to get my exterminator bud on the horn to see if he can do something to the yard

oh salmon brown rice and corn from the can

Edited by Ez ryder

13 minutes ago, Dave said:

Egg veggie and sausage wrap.

What are you adding for veggies? The egg and sausage part sounds good.

Just now, Ez ryder said:

yeah I have a place in Longville . I wont even bring the dogs up thee in the summer any more. I know no one around my cabin who has not lost a dog to lyme. I have gotten the bull's-eyes 2 times from those fuckers but no lyme's   .

ok I shit u not as I was typing this the wife yells from the bedroom there is a tick in the bed . so I just checked 1 dog she is working over the other 2 . to early for this shit . got to get my exterminator bud on the horn to see if he can do something to the yard

Fortunately Izzy hasn't gotten a tick on her since we moved here.

4 minutes ago, ckf said:

What are you adding for veggies? The egg and sausage part sounds good.

Red pepper tomato onions mushrooms and jalapeno.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

oh salmon brown rice and corn from the can

Shit. :lol:

Wait..is this a dinner thread?