Check your account email address ×

What was the first sled you purchased

On 4/15/2021 at 12:34 PM, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

88 400 classic

Polaris actually had a very limited build of the Indy 500 in 1988.  One of Polaris's fall ads actually used one of the proto-type Indy 500 sleds.  When the sleds were released they ditched the blue in the center of the cowl and were the same as the Indy 400 white and red cowl only having Indy 500 on the cowl.  Its on my bucket list to find an original.   

88 500.jpg

Edited by Doug
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug said:

Polaris actually had a very limited build of the Indy 500 in 1988.  One of Polaris's fall ads actually used one of the proto-type Indy 500 sleds.  When the sleds were released they ditched the blue in the center of the cowl and were the as the Indy 400 white and red cowl only having Indy 500 on the cowl.  Its on my bucket list to find an original.   

88 500.jpg

Mine was white gold and blue. I believe it was an anniversary edition. Even had electric start lol

48 minutes ago, Crotch Lickmeoff said:

Mine was white gold and blue. I believe it was an anniversary edition. Even had electric start lol

Yes that was the Classic with the gold anodized tunnel.  There was a guy years ago that ran that chassis with a 650 based motor called Gold Rush.

Another limited build on my bucket list would be a 1991 Indy 500 EFI.  They looked the same as a Indy 500 but had a black tunnel and in small letters had EFI on it.  There was only about 200 of them made.  

37 minutes ago, Doug said:

Yes that was the Classic with the gold anodized tunnel.  There was a guy years ago that ran that chassis with a 650 based motor called Gold Rush.

Another limited build on my bucket list would be a 1991 Indy 500 EFI.  They looked the same as a Indy 500 but had a black tunnel and in small letters had EFI on it.  There was only about 200 of them made.  

Wish I had an Indy 500. But I had that 88 400 till 97 when I went on a shopping spree. Bought a 98 xc 700, 98 xcr 700 and 98 sportsman 500

• Like 1

I’ve probably said this too often but I do wish that I had my 1990 Indy 650 back. 

Was over to the neighbors house, up at the lake, this past weekend drinking a few beers and catching up. He showed me the MINTY 2001 XCR 800 that his son just picked up this spring. 100% stock too, just how I would want one. 

So many wants, so little space and money to accolade to it though. 

On 4/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, Doug said:

Are you thinking about Gold Digger by any chance? Owners name was George Weikum.

1 hour ago, racerdave said:

Are you thinking about Gold Digger by any chance? Owners name was George Weikum.

That could well be Dave I just remember seeing the sled.  Was a sharp looking sled with the gold tunnel.

• 2 weeks later...

73' 340 Olympic c/w ES & cig. lighter, purchased as a young kid with an operators lic. in 78' from a local skihill oper. let it ilde for longer than a minute and you were changing the plugs!

On 4/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, Doug said:

Just worked on a 91 500 EFI a few weeks back!

Rode my Dad's Bolens 72 295, and 71 340 till I bought a 79 Ski Doo 9500 plus, in 87.

• 3 weeks later...

First sled I purchased was a 1994 Yamaha V-Max 600. I bought it brand new in the fall of 93. My dad let me sell our old Bravos for a down payment and then I took out a loan for the rest, made the payments by bussing tables at T.G.I. Friday's. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

1968 evinrude I don't remember what model it was, I do remember paying $30.00 for it. It was fun for about a month, then something broke is the suspension. I left it in feild for the rest of that winter, came back in the spring and it was still sitting there lol. Being just a kid I didn't have any way of getting it out of there, so I took it out in pieces using a little red wagon to haul it home piece by piece....fun times

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MnDean said:

1968 evinrude I don't remember what model it was, I do remember paying $30.00 for it. It was fun for about a month, then something broke is the suspension. I left it in feild for the rest of that winter, came back in the spring and it was still sitting there lol. Being just a kid I didn't have any way of getting it out of there, so I took it out in pieces using a little red wagon to haul it home piece by piece....fun times

I still chuckle whenever I hear people talking about the old Evinrude sleds.  My dad and his work buddies had a group of guys that rode sleds back in the mid 80's and one of the guys had an older Evinrude (I don't recall the year).  My funniest memory is, the guy was 6'7" and that sled must have had about a 10" wide track on it (seemed like, anyway) ... he was tipping that thing over all the time.  Could have been due to the numerous beers they'd drink, I suppose :lol:

• Like 1

When I was a little kid my buddy had an old Evinrude in their garage.  I never saw it move once from it's location.  But I always thought it was cool because it was a 660, or something over 600 I remember, that seemed like the biggest motor ever back then.  The sled seemed massive too, like 3 people could have rode it.  I'm now quite sure it was a shitbox.

Edited by mnstang

I already answered,  first sled ever purchased was my 88 indy 400.

Best sled I purchased,  was a new 98 xc700 with the 220 jugs. Shity shocks ( ridefx) but that fucker was pretty fast . Put a hurt on some bigger sleds