Check your account email address ×

How many here stud their sleds?

Studs are good for hooking up.... why would you not want traction? 

I find my studs even hook more in a lot of snow conditions also.. unless its legit deep powder.

No studs are fun for sliding around.
I hate going out with my buddy's that have no studs.. lots of water ways around here if you get off the main trail you will have to pull one of them off the ice at one point, because of the banks. 

My questions is... do you guys just not stud because you are cheap? 

Edited by Cwhite138

• Platinum Contributing Member

Every sled I own is studded except the 2000 800 M.E. Grand Touring and its getting an ice attack track this summer.

10 minutes ago, Highmark said:

Every sled I own is studded except the 2000 800 M.E. Grand Touring and its getting an ice attack track this summer.

let me know when you're ready to buy one, i'll see what i can do for a price

1 minute ago, Tommcat said:

let me know when you're ready to buy one, i'll see what i can do for a price

:thumbsup:   Thanks Tom.   Love cruising on that sled.   As sweet as the triple/triple's sound the triple singles just got a great tone to them.  

Edited by Highmark

Too many hills/valleys locally (when we CAN ride here in "bluff country") and having studs to keep traction on those hill trails make a huge difference.  So yeah, I run 'em.

8 hours ago, CFM said:

Do you ride in my exact area ? Alot ? Have you tried to get on land from the lake Ambrose cove throughout the winter ? Don’t put your feet diwn as you slide back to lake. Trees will smush’m into your sled. Up to the Castle on my side if Mt Shaw ? Even just two weeks ago, the last weekend it was open for year,  you weren’t gunna get up the 1st qtr -1/2 mile without them.You ridden up in Rumney ? Few times go up short section if pure ice going uphill not far after the clubhouse. 

This is why i mentioned ‘my area.’ I can’t and were for areas I don’t tide or ride much.

:thumbs

never an issue on winni or mt shaw.  I rode out of Ossipee for years so very familiar with the area.  ridden off on ambrose more times than I can count both with and without studs with zero difference as a buddy lives down the lake from there on the neck   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Just a tip for those having had issues with loose studs. use a torque wrench on them, you'd be surprised how far off you are when tightening them by hand or with any kind of power tool.

I agree to a point.  I roughly verify how many ugga duggas against the torque wrench.  It does vary with the stud brand/style and track.

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I went through and retorqued a track a few years ago after 100 miles and was able to get a half turn on all of them just going to 15lbs 

I go through mine after the first ride.  I has either helped a lot or I'm lucky.  I usually find a few bent, but it has been a long time since I've lost any studs.

I used to use a torque wrench to check.  Kinda went away from the extra step after seeing how much they change with a little riding.  I've done so many tracks now that the ugga dugga has become second nature.  A basic small impact works incredibly well.

It's surprising how the topic brings up so much emotion with some people.  I've rode with and without.  There is a riding adjustment for either option.  It's kinda like carbides.  You can ride with little skidders and adapt. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tommcat said:

Just a tip for those having had issues with loose studs. use a torque wrench on them, you'd be surprised how far off you are when tightening them by hand or with any kind of power tool.

I have had the pull thrugh the track every time . Usualy after 2000 mi or so.  The new tracks are tossing twin backer studs . Time for a 3 hole backer I guess 

4 hours ago, SayatodaU.P.eh? said:

Curious why you’re blaming the stainless studs? I use to only use Fast Trac Top Gun II’s on all of my old trail sleds after I had nothing but problems with Gold Diggers bending/breaking. I did put a set of Woodys signature series stainless studs in a sled for my dad once and those were garbage. Wore right down to nothing in 1000 miles. 

I studded the last 3 sleds with Woody's Signature. The turbo, the wife's Vector and a Doo 800 MXZ. Previously, I always used Golddiggers.2 years ago I had the Vector and the Turbo at a shop for pre-season check and they told me a third of the turbo's studs were loose so they went through them and retorqued to spec. After the puncture, I took them all out. 20 were missing, at least half were loose again and the nuts were worn down on the loose ones. Some with worn down nuts that were retightened 2 years ago were still tight. I blame all of it, aluminum backers with aluminum nuts and stainless studs. Checked the Vector and Doo before I sold them and they were still tight. I just think its an issue with the way I like to use the throttle and the torque from the motor causing too much flex.

I'm going back to Golddiggers.

2 hours ago, f7ben said:

I went through and retorqued a track a few years ago after 100 miles and was able to get a half turn on all of them just going to 15lbs 

I think I have to start doing this annually at least. Usually I would just randomly go through checking each by hand, retightening every 3rd or 4th for good measure. Never had an issue.

Now I think it will be a torque wrench and hit every one each fall.

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Tinker said:

It is amusing to watch the canned up SX wannabee's light up the track in full Multi Braaaap On Bro mode down to the dirt n rocks and shit and then leave a green strip down the trail til they pull over and throw the 509's in the air. 

:lol:

39 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I studded the last 3 sleds with Woody's Signature. The turbo, the wife's Vector and a Doo 800 MXZ. Previously, I always used Golddiggers.2 years ago I had the Vector and the Turbo at a shop for pre-season check and they told me a third of the turbo's studs were loose so they went through them and retorqued to spec. After the puncture, I took them all out. 20 were missing, at least half were loose again and the nuts were worn down on the loose ones. Some with worn down nuts that were retightened 2 years ago were still tight. I blame all of it, aluminum backers with aluminum nuts and stainless studs. Checked the Vector and Doo before I sold them and they were still tight. I just think its an issue with the way I like to use the throttle and the torque from the motor causing too much flex.

I'm going back to Golddiggers.

I think I have to start doing this annually at least. Usually I would just randomly go through checking each by hand, retightening every 3rd or 4th for good measure. Never had an issue.

Now I think it will be a torque wrench and hit every one each fall.

Stainless Studs with steel locknuts is shit, the threads gall and give a inaccurate tension by feel or torque wrench and re-tightening later is usually futile. Toss in cheap shit cast washers and you're playin Lawn Exchanger Darts 

2 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

never an issue on winni or mt shaw.  I rode out of Ossipee for years so very familiar with the area.  ridden off on ambrose more times than I can count both with and without studs with zero difference as a buddy lives down the lake from there on the neck   

Cool.

When you drop onto lake at Ambrose, take a right and I’m a half mile down on the right. : thumbs

edit in: the other year, when the ambrose section iced up, as it does here and there, they split an old snowmobile track and screwed it down. That was pretty cool.

Edited by CFM

I guess nobody here rides longer track sleds.  Good luck with studs on a 2 inch plus track. For that matter anything much north of an inch and a half and you need really long studs which increases the risk of tear outs or wasted heat exchangers.  

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

A bit of a PIA to install (especially when you need to replace a bender) but, excellent traction with these.  That is, of course, if you believe studs are an excellent traction add-on  *rolls eyes

6000000018.jpg

Were those backers designed for stock clutching???

5 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

I find my studs even hook more in a lot of snow conditions also.. unless its legit deep powder.

I hate going out with my buddy's that have no studs.. lots of water ways around here if you get off the main trail you will have to pull one of them off the ice at one point, because of the banks. 

Not to cheep I just don't ride enough trail to give a fuck my 15 Dimond pounder has like 4k on it and of those prob 1500 are not spent asking my self why I still go ride on a fucking trail . When I ride with trail guys most have studs and run real hard . So yeah I have to be 100% on game but I keep up just fine just have to drive not ride. 

Also when I have my Dimond pounder off in the woods I often am trenching it out and grinding stumps going up rock hills and what not that shit really fucks up a 1 ply with studs 

Edited by Ez ryder

• Gold Member
2 hours ago, Zambroski said:

A bit of a PIA to install (especially when you need to replace a bender) but, excellent traction with these.  That is, of course, if you believe studs are an excellent traction add-on  *rolls eyes

6000000018.jpg

I see a bent one in there. Don't you take care of anything?  :news:

13 minutes ago, f7ben said:

You got owned you stupid fuck and you can’t let it go :lol: 

I'm glad you see it that way,,otherwise you'd still be too embarrassed to show your face after that brutal bloody beatdown you took,,,mostly from yourself but a few others stopped in for a kick or two:roflcrying:

2 minutes ago, HSR said:

I'm glad you see it that way,,otherwise you'd still be too embarrassed to show your face after that brutal bloody beatdown you took,,,mostly from yourself but a few others stopped in for a kick or two:roflcrying:

How fucking dumb would you have to be to think you actually won that argument.

You said you couldnt add significant power without changing clutching ....you were 100% wrong and got proven wrong 100 times you moron

Edited by f7ben

5 hours ago, Cwhite138 said:

Cheap is the last thing I am...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CFM said:

Do you ride in my exact area ? Alot ? Have you tried to get on land from the lake Ambrose cove throughout the winter ? Don’t put your feet diwn as you slide back to lake. Trees will smush’m into your sled. Up to the Castle on my side if Mt Shaw ? Even just two weeks ago, the last weekend it was open for year,  you weren’t gunna get up the 1st qtr -1/2 mile without them.You ridden up in Rumney ? Few times go up short section if pure ice going uphill not far after the clubhouse. 

This is why i mentioned ‘my area.’ I can’t and were for areas I don’t tide or ride much.

:thumbs

5 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

Only sled that I had studded riding that area was my 2000 MXZ 600. Hated it. I felt like I walking on egg shells every time I rode a trail with thin snow. All other sleds and miles ridden in the area was studless , lol.  Never had an issue climbing or going anywhere.

However, I can understand why @CFM would want them being on the other side of the Ossipees, and on Winni. all the time.  

What would Mike do..... stud it and hold the throttle  :lol:   Ask him how how we towed the "company" sled off Winni when he blew the motor  :lol:    Were you there that day @Angry ginger? Armand came down from Pittsburg to ride that day.  We had to go back to Mike's to pick up the "company" Super Wide Track.  Armand couldn't believe the pace Mike was setting with the SWT up and over the castle  :lol: