Check your account email address ×

How many here stud their sleds?

Being here we use that for 90% of our riding to access other areas. It’s basically my back yard. So it’s not a 5 tines a year use fir us. 20-30 times ? More ? Lol.

so you guys have missed this, sounds like. Several years ago the dock to right of Ambrose Marina docks got a bubbler and used too much. Leaves a 4ft wide strip of ice in between the two open water areas. Lol. Can’t cone in too land ‘hot’ because if the dog keg right entrance with the tree right there.

6 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

But wait!  Theres more!   :lol: 

Since I’ve gone to longer tracks and deeper lugs, I am done with studding . I did like the control and the hook up with a well studied track, but these days I’m more about getting through the deep snow than I am lifting the skis on ice.  I put Bergstrom carbide tipped screws on my 1.6 inch cobra track that comes on my backcountry, and it’s perfect for me.

How’d the Bergstrom install go and how’s the durability been? Curious. 

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I studded the last 3 sleds with Woody's Signature. The turbo, the wife's Vector and a Doo 800 MXZ. Previously, I always used Golddiggers.2 years ago I had the Vector and the Turbo at a shop for pre-season check and they told me a third of the turbo's studs were loose so they went through them and retorqued to spec. After the puncture, I took them all out. 20 were missing, at least half were loose again and the nuts were worn down on the loose ones. Some with worn down nuts that were retightened 2 years ago were still tight. I blame all of it, aluminum backers with aluminum nuts and stainless studs. Checked the Vector and Doo before I sold them and they were still tight. I just think its an issue with the way I like to use the throttle and the torque from the motor causing too much flex.

I'm going back to Golddiggers.

I think I have to start doing this annually at least. Usually I would just randomly go through checking each by hand, retightening every 3rd or 4th for good measure. Never had an issue.

Now I think it will be a torque wrench and hit every one each fall.

I get that. Turbo sleds are hard on studs, going by what friends of mine have had to deal with on their turbo cats. The signature series woodys seem really cheap and not made out of very good stainless, in my experiences with them. I have run Fast Trac stainless and have had excellent luck with them. 

3 hours ago, DriftBusta said:

I guess nobody here rides longer track sleds.  Good luck with studs on a 2 inch plus track. For that matter anything much north of an inch and a half and you need really long studs which increases the risk of tear outs or wasted heat exchangers.  

Um, hello?!? I’ve had a sled with at least a 2” track on it since 2009. I don’t trail ride those sleds though. Going across the lake at my sisters is hairy as fuck though. :lol:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, CFM said:

Being here we use that for 90% of our riding to access other areas. It’s basically my back yard. So it’s not a 5 tines a year use fir us. 20-30 times ? More ? Lol.

so you guys have missed this, sounds like. Several years ago the dock to right of Ambrose Marina docks got a bubbler and used too much. Leaves a 4ft wide strip of ice in between the two open water areas. Lol. Can’t cone in too land ‘hot’ because if the dog keg right entrance with the tree right there.

We usually just went up Shannon brook by Mike's and picked up the trail in Balmoral.

• Like 1

Yup. Shannon Brook not always safe.

My house is 200-300yds from there. The Brook. I'm basically at State Landing Beach.

Edited by CFM
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ez ryder said:

Not to cheep I just don't ride enough trail to give a fuck my 15 Dimond pounder has like 4k on it and of those prob 1500 are not spent asking my self why I still go ride on a fucking trail . When I ride with trail guys most have studs and run real hard . So yeah I have to be 100% on game but I keep up just fine just have to drive not ride. 

Also when I have my Dimond pounder off in the woods I often am trenching it out and grinding stumps going up rock hills and what not that shit really fucks up a 1 ply with studs 

nothing beats studs when climbing over a log! 

2 hours ago, Snake said:

Cheap is the last thing I am...

Why was your stud sled a failed experience? 

Just now, Cwhite138 said:

nothing beats studs when climbing over a log! 

Why was your stud sled a failed experience? 

Till you are pinning it to get thrugh  the 2 inch sumac and start ripping them out 

5 hours ago, HSR said:

Were those backers designed for stock clutching???

What do you mean by "clutching"?  I don't speak jibberish!

:lol: 

4 hours ago, Kivalo said:

I see a bent one in there. Don't you take care of anything?  :news:

I do!  Still, Ima bend a few every year. Just like shit....it happens. :bc: