Check your account email address ×

*****Official 2019-2020 Snowmobile Season Thread*****

28 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

This thing only has 1160 miles on it. It has a few scratches and dings from a barbed wire fence apparently and a rip on the rear part of the seat but other than that it is really good shape. I am pretty sure it is the original factory track and it is mint. 

Between buying it and doing some work to it when I got it, I am around $2500 usd into it. 

The bearings should still be good,but for peace of mind and given the age of the sled, I would do it.

58 minutes ago, Tomas. said:

I will pull the DD apart and make sure it is just bearings and not a gear or something else before I order the parts. Looks like from bdx that the bearing kit and seals are $200 cad with shipping.

it is the brass shims to look at on the planetary when they are missing or almost gone then the planetary is about to go .

that reverse DD was a mistake the pre reverse and the motor reverse were great 

1 minute ago, Woodtick said:

A $5 plastic kids sled works well if you are anywhere near civilization?

true but swappng a DD was less than a hr. only did 2 in the bush ever . but I rebuilt a fuck load over the yrs . all from 2 buds shops in town 

13 minutes ago, Woodtick said:

A $5 plastic kids sled works well if you are anywhere near civilization?

we were 30 miles or so from anyplace,  tried to lash a couple branches for it to slide on and that didn't work so said fuck it and dragged.  Fortunately gravity was working in his favor on the pull.

this was the spot it happened,  we stopped and it froze up.  cold as hell that day

coburn.jpg

Edited by Angry ginger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ez ryder said:

it is the brass shims to look at on the planetary when they are missing or almost gone then the planetary is about to go .

that reverse DD was a mistake the pre reverse and the motor reverse were great 

Good to know. I will be looking for information when I get this thing apart.  

3 hours ago, Tomas. said:

Went over the cfr6. We only put 200 kms on it last year so it didn't need much lol.

When I pulled the plug on the DD, there was some metal flakes on the magnet. So I flushed it out and put some fresh full synthetic ATF and will check it more often. If it continues or gets worse well that will suck lol.

Other than that it was pretty much mint. Added a little grease, checked the plugs. Only thing left after that was to tear up the lawn lol

Is that what the DD/Cat recommend, ATF? I've heard of people using it before but always wondered why? Never have I used it, always gear lube in the 75W-90 synthetic variety either from Mobil-1, Amsoil severe gear or Pennzoil gear lube.

I change it annually, adjust the chain slack and drive on. Never had a chain case issue ever, but I haven't managed a lot of miles either in the last 15+ years.

7 minutes ago, irv said:

Is that what the DD/Cat recommend, ATF? I've heard of people using it before but always wondered why? Never have I used it, always gear lube in the 75W-90 synthetic variety either from Mobil-1, Amsoil severe gear or Pennzoil gear lube.

I change it annually, adjust the chain slack and drive on. Never had a chain case issue ever, but I haven't managed a lot of miles either in the last 15+ years.

I am not sure what cat recommends. When I had a 09 m8 5 years ago, someone on these forums recommended full synthetic ATF. So that is what I have been using. It is a planetary gear set instead of a silent chain on two sprockets.

I have been running Polaris chain case oil in my Polaris switchback because I couldn't find reliable info on a good alternative by googling it. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tomas. said:

I am not sure what cat recommends. When I had a 09 m8 5 years ago, someone on these forums recommended full synthetic ATF. So that is what I have been using. It is a planetary gear set instead of a silent chain on two sprockets.

I have been running Polaris chain case oil in my Polaris switchback because I couldn't find reliable info on a good alternative by googling it. 

Just like what is in a transmission so maybe/likely that is why the ATF is recommended?

Thanks. :bc:

15 minutes ago, irv said:

Just like what is in a transmission so maybe/likely that is why the ATF is recommended?

Thanks. :bc:

That what I think as well. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Angry ginger said:

we were 30 miles or so from anyplace,  tried to lash a couple branches for it to slide on and that didn't work so said fuck it and dragged.  Fortunately gravity was working in his favor on the pull.

this was the spot it happened,  we stopped and it froze up.  cold as hell that day

coburn.jpg

Yah, that sucked

18 minutes ago, Angry ginger said:

scared Kev away from ever coming back.  that was a bad day overall,  Derrick popped his motor,  kevs sled went down then i ripped the heat exchanger off my sled.  

Yah it was a shit show