They were good, super easy too.

1/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper

table spoon of balsamic vinegar and a teaspoon of honey

Roast at 425 for 20 min

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Biggie Smails said:

I've never tried that either....have to give it a shot. :bc:

they are a late crop won't see anything till late august like cooler weather, they don't do much then take right the fuck off in the end

I've used the Slow and Sear twice now. One pork butt and 2 racks of St Louis ribs. both came out very good. I forgot to take pics. Just a few chunks of wood on the coals go a long way. Next I want to smoke a 4# turkey breast, and then a thick ribeye reverse sear. Has anyone here done that?

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/stea

• Like 1

14 hours ago, racerdave said:

I've used the Slow and Sear twice now. One pork butt and 2 racks of St Louis ribs. both came out very good. I forgot to take pics. Just a few chunks of wood on the coals go a long way. Next I want to smoke a 4# turkey breast, and then a thick ribeye reverse sear. Has anyone here done that?

http://www.abcbarbecue.com/stea

Slow and sear, aka reverse sear, on butt and ribs? I've never heard of that, there's a bark on both after a long smoke. I'd be afraid what searing would do.

Reverse sear is how I do all of our steaks and chops. I order the meat cut at 2" or buy roasts and cut them myself. Best way to do it in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, Doos said:

Slow and sear, aka reverse sear, on butt and ribs? I've never heard of that, there's a bark on both after a long smoke. I'd be afraid what searing would do.

Reverse sear is how I do all of our steaks and chops. I order the meat cut at 2" or buy roasts and cut them myself. Best way to do it in my opinion.

Slow and Sear is the name of the grill insert. Not used as a reverse sear on butts, etc, just steaks, or quick cooks.. When using it for slow smoke, you only light some coals and let the rest catch slowly for a long cook, For searing a full load of coals is lit, when they are dumped into the chamber they are all in a high pile then and very hot for searing. For my 2 smokes so far I lit about a dozen coals in the corner. when ready then close to a unlit full chimney, maybe 3/4 fills the chamber for the long cook. Maintained 200-250 temp for 10+ hours without adding any coals, on a Maverick grill probe temp, with coals left to go if needed

8 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Slow and Sear is the name of the grill insert. Not used as a reverse sear on butts, etc, just steaks, or quick cooks.. When using it for slow smoke, you only light some coals and let the rest catch slowly for a long cook, For searing a full load of coals is lit, when they are dumped into the chamber they are all in a high pile then and very hot for searing. For my 2 smokes so far I lit about a dozen coals in the corner. when ready then close to a unlit full chimney, maybe 3/4 fills the chamber for the long cook. Maintained 200-250 temp for 10+ hours without adding any coals, on a Maverick grill probe temp, with coals left to go if needed

Ah sorry, I thought the site you linked was calling slow and sear the same thing as reverse sear.

Looks likes a clever idea. Gotta love all the different ways to cooks meat, makes it fun.

1 minute ago, racerdave said:

No post's in a week. Everyone must have went on a diet or became a vegetarian :snack:

I plan on picking up a pork shoulder tomorrow to smoke this weekend :bc:

1 minute ago, ckf said:

I plan on picking up a pork shoulder tomorrow to smoke this weekend :bc:

Yep.  Getting three for my wife's little party on Saturday.  Then I have to make chicken for some that don't eat pork and my wife is doing up a veggie tray for a couple of lettuce eaters.  :wall:  All her idiot friends are coming over and there will be plenty of lib-tards on hand.  Good grief...I hope nobody wants to talk politics.  And I KNOW my wife doesn't want them to.  I'd just better stick to being a good host.  Women!  Jeeeez!!!!

And sure as shit one of them will bring their idiot husband that I'm sure to have nothing in common with and have to listen to all night long.  Ughhhh......

I already want this weekend to be over.  Think I may grab a large ration of delicious meat and head out into the woods for the night. 9_9

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, racerdave said:

No post's in a week. Everyone must have went on a diet or became a vegetarian :snack:

Grilled some ribeyes for dinner.....  :news:

DSCN0460.JPG

Edited by dz246
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, racerdave said:

Been out of town for 9 days...again.

Got home last night and hugged the smoker before I said hello to the wife.

Its on this weekend.

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

6 am and life is looking good!  A fresh pile of applewood by the smoker ensures a wonderful bounty!

image.jpg

does that smoker have offset firebox for indirect cooking

I picked up a couple pork butts on sale yesterday for $1/lb. Ended up throwing them in the freezer for when we have company.  Not sure is I'm going to smoke a rack of ribs, or reverse sear a 2" bone in rib eye for dinner tonight :dunno:

5 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Yes.

need to get the add on for my Char-Griller combo, bought it new in spring but they didn't have the firebox in stock, wanted to get the Oklahoma Joe's unit, sold out :(

Edited by 01mxz800

4 hours ago, ckf said:

I picked up a couple pork butts on sale yesterday for $1/lb. Ended up throwing them in the freezer for when we have company.  Not sure is I'm going to smoke a rack of ribs, or reverse sear a 2" bone in rib eye for dinner tonight :dunno:

a lot of "pork butts" running around Harbor Fest this week

• Like 1
  • Haha 1