Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

12 minutes ago, ckf said:

Have you ever been to Franklin's in Austin to try the brisket?    https://franklinbarbecue.com/

No, I was going to try it a few years back but didn't have the time to wait in line all day. I no longer travel to Texas often so I'm not sure I'll have a chance, although I do have family in Austin.

I did just finish reading his book, pretty good read. Amazing to me that everyday people line up at 6-7 in the morning with lawn chairs and drinks, they sell out everyday by early afternoon, not open for dinner.

I would like to see what all of the fuss is about, I haven't been blown away by TX BBQ just yet. It's good but I prefer KC or Carolina.

3 minutes ago, Doos said:

No, I was going to try it a few years back but didn't have the time to wait in line all day. I no longer travel to Texas often so I'm not sure I'll have a chance, although I do have family in Austin.

I did just finish reading his book, pretty good read. Amazing to me that everyday people line up at 6-7 in the morning with lawn chairs and drinks, they sell out everyday by early afternoon, not open for dinner.

I would like to see what all of the fuss is about, I haven't been blown away by TX BBQ just yet. It's good but I prefer KC or Carolina.

I don't think I could do the waiting in line all day for brisket. From what I've read most of the people that go there are from out of town.

I haven't read his book, but have watched several of his videos on youtube, seems like a genuinely nice guy.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

I don't think I could do the waiting in line all day for brisket. From what I've read most of the people that go there are from out of town.

I haven't read his book, but have watched several of his videos on youtube, seems like a genuinely nice guy.

The weather would have to be ideal before I ever considered it, would not try it when it's 90+ which is often the case. A lot of out of towners for sure, lot of regulars as well. It's how he got his start. 

Yeah I always thought he seemed like a good guy on the BBQ shows.

Lots of good lookin' Q being posted here.  I need to contribute soon!

My parents are bringing my pit back today.  Been really wanting to do a brisket and Costco has had full packer primes for $2.99 a pound recently.

21 minutes ago, ckf said:

What do you guys have for a smoker?

18.5" WSM. Honestly, for a single rack of ribs your kettle probably works just as well.  My next purchase will most likely be the kettle with the table, performer I think.  Othere is the Weber Summit Charcoal woukd be a good purchase.

What are you guys cooking over the holiday weekend? I'll be mostly grilling this weekend instead of smoking. We have a couple of ribeye steaks, hamburger, hotdogs, brats and yardbird on the menu this weekend :bbq:

Not going to be around my egg until the 12th. Already going into withdrawal, thought about buying a cheap smoker to get me through this difficult time. 

8 minutes ago, Doos said:

Not going to be around my egg until the 12th. Already going into withdrawal, thought about buying a cheap smoker to get me through this difficult time. 

You could always pickup a basic Weber Kettle for around $100 to get you through these troubling times :lol:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ckf said:

You could always pickup a basic Weber Kettle for around $100 to get you through these troubling times :lol:

I'm shopping Home Depot right now, thought about the Kettle but think I might try a cheap offset smoker. Lol

1 minute ago, Doos said:

I'm shopping Home Depot right now, thought about the Kettle but think I might try a cheap offset smoker. Lol

I haven't heard many good things about cheap offsets unless you want to do a bunch of modifications to it :dunno:  

The Kettle is a very versital grill :bc:

4 hours ago, Doos said:

Did you end up pulling the trigger on anything at HD?

10 hours ago, ckf said:

What are you guys cooking over the holiday weekend? I'll be mostly grilling this weekend instead of smoking. We have a couple of ribeye steaks, hamburger, hotdogs, brats and yardbird on the menu this weekend :bbq:

Beef ribs going on the smoker tomorrow :bc: 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ckf said:

Did you end up pulling the trigger on anything at HD?

No I decided not to, might head home for a couple days to get my fix in. Been wanting to buy a smaller portable kamado grill which is what I'll do, Costco has a deal on Kamado Joe's next week, think I'll pick up a Jr.

• Like 1