Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

Yes, I have one. 

How is it? I was thinking it would be better than a wood smoker just because you can set it and do shit for a while and not worry about it other than add wood chips.

Cabelas has some great end of summer deals on them.

• Platinum Contributing Member
6 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

How is it? I was thinking it would be better than a wood smoker just because you can set it and do shit for a while and not worry about it other than add wood chips.

I really like it, I only use the electric element on cold or windy days to keep a steady temp. I also use it to get my coals started. Its easy to use, works great for me. The one I have has a "W" shaped element in the bottom and lava rocks. I took out the lava rocks and just put lump charcoal in. Thats the one I have, nothing special, works good for me.

Brinkmann-810-Gourmet-Red-Electric-Smoker.jpg

WP_20130902_016.jpg

Edited by Rigid1

35 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

With all of the great butcher shops near you I'm surprised you don't already have one. The steak tips from Butcher Boy in Andover were awesome :good:

Another option if you are just looking to set it and forget it would be a pellet grill.

1 hour ago, ckf said:

With all of the great butcher shops near you I'm surprised you don't already have one. The steak tips from Butcher Boy in Andover were awesome :good:

Another option if you are just looking to set it and forget it would be a pellet grill.

1 hour ago, Rigid1 said:

I really like it, I only use the electric element on cold or windy days to keep a steady temp. I also use it to get my coals started. Its easy to use, works great for me. The one I have has a "W" shaped element in the bottom and lava rocks. I took out the lava rocks and just put lump charcoal in. Thats the one I have, nothing special, works good for me.

Brinkmann-810-Gourmet-Red-Electric-Smoker.jpg

WP_20130902_016.jpg

That looks great thanks!

1 hour ago, ckf said:

CKF I get my tips from Haverhill Beef...they are incredible. Butcher Boy is a mans beef orgasm store. Love that place.

I will be on the lookout for a smoker deal this fall.

Just now, Mainecat said:

That looks great thanks!

Thanks, I think it was only like $100 too. The one thing I did do was at a temp gauge in the lid. The thing didnt have a temp gauge..Frigging weird..

15 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

CKF I get my tips from Haverhill Beef...they are incredible. Butcher Boy is a mans beef orgasm store. Love that place.

HD and Lowes can start clearing inventory anytime after the 4th of July.

21 minutes ago, Mainecat said:

Bradley smokers six rack digital. Set and forget once your comfortable with it. Works awesome. 430$ on Amazon now. Can cold (ambient or slightly below with ice wrap) smoke with it as well. My old offset smoker almost never gets used. Have fun with it Abe :bc:

Here's a double smoked ham done last year.

tmp_17056-IMG_20150905_145943458_HDR-2067989165.jpg

Edited by Rw06GT
  • Like 2

On 6/20/2016 at 2:22 PM, Rigid1 said:

Thanks, I think it was only like $100 too. The one thing I did do was at a temp gauge in the lid. The thing didnt have a temp gauge..Frigging weird..

Bi metal temp gauge in the lid is not what to go by. You need a probe at cooking grate level to see what temp you are cooking at.

2 minutes ago, racerdave said:

Bi metal temp gauge in the lid is not what to go by. You need a probe at cooking grate level to see what temp you are cooking at.

I just use it as a helper to monitor the inside temp of the smoker for windy or cold days. Like I said the smoker is not the "top of the line" by any means. The metal is fairly thin so a slight breeze can effect inside temp easily. I do have a probe for the meat, but mostly can just go by look and touch.:bc:

Edited by Rigid1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Rigid1 said:

I just use it as a helper to monitor the inside temp of the smoker for windy or cold days. Like I said the smoker is not the "top of the line" by any means. The metal is fairly thin so a slight breeze can effect inside temp easily. I do have a probe for the meat, but mostly can just go by look and touch.:bc:

Can't argue with what works:fry:

• Like 1

Wife and kids are out of town so I thought I'd have a little grub.

2.5lb bone in ribeye, smoked with hickory, COTC, and a salad since I am on a diet. Best steak I've ever had.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doos said:

2.5lb bone in ribeye, smoked with hickory, COTC, and a salad since I am on a diet. Best steak I've ever had.

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Looks great!

33 minutes ago, Doos said:

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Looks better than the steak I had tonight at a steakhouse.  Probably better to.

45 minutes ago, Doos said:

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Nice work Keith....looks awesome. :bbq:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doos said:

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Looks excellent :bc:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Looks better than the steak I had tonight at a steakhouse.  Probably better to.

I am lucky in that I get to try a lot of the good steakhouses around the country due to my job. Since we picked up the big green egg I am mostly disappointed in restaurant steaks, couple of exceptions here and there. The Kamado style grills are really good with steaks.

23 minutes ago, Doos said:

I am lucky in that I get to try a lot of the good steakhouses around the country due to my job. Since we picked up the big green egg I am mostly disappointed in restaurant steaks, couple of exceptions here and there. The Kamado style grills are really good with steaks.

Have you ever been to Franklin's in Austin to try the brisket?    https://franklinbarbecue.com/