Check your account email address ×

***Official BBQ / Smoker Thread***

Just now, Biggie Smails said:

So foiling makes them wet and no foil gives them a bark....correct?

When you foil the ribs they steam in their own juices softening the bark that you stated to create on the ribs. If you don't foil or add BBQ sauce at the end you will get a dry rib with  nice bark :bc:

2 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

So foiling makes them wet and no foil gives them a bark....correct?

bark comes from a thick rub and not mopping them during the cook ....you let the rub form a crust or bark as its called. You can have a chunk of meat with a good bark and if you foil it you will lose that crunch. Its all a matter of preference 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 minute ago, ckf said:

When you foil the ribs they steam in their own juices softening the bark that you stated to create on the ribs. If you don't foil or add BBQ sauce at the end you will get a dry rib with  nice bark :bc:

Just now, f7ben said:

bark comes from a thick rub and not mopping them during the cook ....you let the rub form a crust or bark as its called. You can have a chunk of meat with a good bark and if you foil it you will lose that crunch. Its all a matter of preference 

Thanks for the info. :bc:

3 minutes ago, Doos said:

Finishing out of the foil gives you some bark, just not as much as you would without. 

I like all the rub to stay intact in the bark .....foiling it kind of dilutes that burst of flavor you get with a full bark even if you finish it without foil. 

7 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Are you still liking the Komando?

1 minute ago, ckf said:

Are you still liking the Komando?

Love it .....it just cooks so nice. Best 200$ I ever spent. I fired a half load of briquettes this morning and ran it up to 200 .....threw in a handful of chips.....and it held 200 like a boss for 5 hours without any adjustment at all. Burned hardly any coal etc.....just works well

• Like 1

On 5/26/2016 at 6:21 AM, ckf said:

Kettle is setup for smoking, and the pork shoulder is ready to go on. Wish me luck.

20160526-IMG_0743.jpg

20160526-IMG_0745.jpg

CKF do you have good luck with the c ring coal setup?

Just now, racerdave said:

CKF do you have good luck with the c ring coal setup?

Works great for me. I just adjust the length and height of the snake depending on how long and hot I want the fire. I've pretty much figured out how I need to setup my Kettle for what I'm cooking. I don't worry like some do when the temperature changes a little during the cook :bc:

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

I like all the rub to stay intact in the bark .....foiling it kind of dilutes that burst of flavor you get with a full bark even if you finish it without foil. 

It's a trade off really, wrapping imparts more flavor into the meat. No wrong way, just whatever you like.

i don't wrap butts, love the big bark mixed with soft stuff.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, racerdave said:

CKF, In the 10 hrs for your pork cook did you add coals? How much?

I did need to add about 20 more pieces of charcoal when I did the pork butt :bc:

35 minutes ago, Biggie Smails said:

That looks slick as hell...I might have to order one of those. :bc:

When are you going to finally pick up a rack of ribs and try out your Kettle :news: