Check your account email address ×

Top 10 countries with the least amount of paid vacation days

BOHICA

4 hours ago, BOHICA said:

32 hour work week, paid for 40 needs to become a thing in the US.  Unions are chipping away at that 

The company I work for doesn’t do vacation pay as others do. It’s paid every week. Time off is much harder to obtain.

I’m at %10 so I suppose that would equate to roughly 5 weeks

State-By-State Ranking of Vacation Days Used

1. Colorado (20.3)
  2. Virginia (18.9)
  3. Arizona (18.8)
  4. Connecticut (18.6)
  5. Minnesota (18.4)
  6. New Mexico (18.4)
  7. Maryland (18.3)
  8. Ohio (18.2)
  9. Washington D.C. (18.1)
  10. Florida (18)
  11. West Virginia (18)
  12. Missouri (18)
  13. Oklahoma (17.9)
  14. Wisconsin (17.8)
  15. Idaho (17.7)
  16. Mississippi (17.6)
  17. Texas (17.5)
  18. Massachusetts (17.5)
  19. New Jersey (17.5)
  20. New York (17.5)
  21. Georgia (17.5)
  22. Illinois (17.4)
  23. Wyoming (17.4)
  24. Pennsylvania (17.4)
  25. South Carolina (17.4)
  26. New Hampshire (17.4)
  27. Indiana (17.4)
  28. Iowa (17.4)
  29. Michigan (17.3)
  30. Nevada (17.3)
  31. Hawaii (17.3)
  32. Alaska (17.3)
  33. North Dakota (17.3)
  34. North Carolina (17.2)
  35. Washington (17.2)
  36. Oregon (17.2)
  37. Louisiana (17.2)
  38. Kansas (17.1)
  39. Maine (17.1)
  40. Tennessee (17.1)
  41. Arkansas (17.1)
  42. Vermont (17.1)
  43. Kentucky (17.1)
  44. Utah (17.0)
  45. Alabama (16.9)
  46. California (16.7)
  47. Nebraska (16.7)
  48. South Dakota (16.6)
  49. Rhode Island (16.5)
  50. Delaware (16.5)
  51. Montana (16.3)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

I left my job with 6 weeks vacation and 835 hours of sick time being paid out. That was a nice chunk of change. 

You work for the govt....they don't need to be profitable. 

How many take two weeks at a time?

Health studies show that people need at least ten days in a row to properly relax and refresh.  The irony is that our normal vacation would all be used for a single recharge.

Quite a few of you guys have fantastic vacation packages.  I didn't have that kind of vacation time.  I was also on call for years.  That is barely what I'd call time off.

• Platinum Contributing Member
1 hour ago, favoritos said:

Health studies show that people need at least ten days in a row to properly relax and refresh.  The irony is that our normal vacation would all be used for a single recharge.

Quite a few of you guys have fantastic vacation packages.  I didn't have that kind of vacation time.  I was also on call for years.  That is barely what I'd call time off.

I took 5 weeks in a row this year...last week of June and all of July. :lol:  Have taken 2 weeks in a row usually around July 4th for at least the last 10 years....kinda nice knowing you have another week off after the first is getting close to being over.

Get 7 weeks vacation and 6 sick days.    Could literally take a vacation week every other month.....kinda makes the decision to retire even harder.  Just when you really don't feel like working, another vacation week hits. 

If I'm still working next year(depending on sale of home), I plan on doing the whole month of July again....that was nice and missed much of the heat.  

2 hours ago, favoritos said:

I took a two week vacation twice. The first was an 8,000 mile trip on motorcycle. The second was a trip to the Florida Keys, New Orleans, and Myrtle Beech. I wish I would've taken more. It really made a difference. 

15 hours ago, Voodoo said:

The company I work for doesn’t do vacation pay as others do. It’s paid every week. Time off is much harder to obtain.

I’m at %10 so I suppose that would equate to roughly 5 weeks

I pay 4% vacation pay to my employees every week. Being seasonal work, most employees don't take much time off. They also get paid for stat holidays.

Its been that way at all the business I've worked at in the swimming pool industry.

My son just started a new job and they gave him 4 weeks paid vacation to start. He can also take a 5th week unpaid if he wants. Nice deal.

In Canada, paid vacation is set by the province or territory. In all provinces, its 10 days minimum plus stat holidays.

This what Wiki says for the United States.

There is no federal or state statutory minimum paid vacation or paid public holidays. Paid leave is at the discretion of the employers to their employees.[192][193] According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 77% of private employers offer paid vacation to their employees; full-time employees earn on average 10 vacation days after one year of service.[194] Similarly, 77% of private employers give their employees paid time off during public holidays, on average 8 holidays per year.[194][195] Some employers offer no vacation at all.[196] The average number of paid vacation days offered by private employers is 10 days after 1 year of service, 14 days after 5 years, 17 days after 10 years, and 20 days after 20 years.[194][197]

20 hours ago, BOHICA said:

32 hour work week, paid for 40 needs to become a thing in the US.  Unions are chipping away at that 

Government jobs here in Canada seem to be leaning towards a 40 hour week but over 4 days instead of 5. A couple of the townships around here have gone to this arrangement claiming it gives the employee more personal time and work performance is better. Many of these employees also get to work from home 1 or 2 days per week.

3 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Hard work is baked into the cake that is the United States. The US has always been a country of workaholics since the beginning.

totally agree

we used to have something called the 'good Midwestern work ethic'... participation ribbon millennials put an end to that it seems.