Check your account email address ×

Top 10 countries with the least amount of paid vacation days

BOHICA

live to work...

or 

work to live... 

We utilize our weekends to the fullest as often as possible.  We're also fortunate enough to have a place to decompress  as often as we like. 

Almost time to go wake up the largemouth.  :)

IMG_20230904_085855649_HDR.jpg

Part of our work ethic is tied to "The American Dream".  The underlying belief that you will get ahead and live better with hard work is one heck of a motivating tool.  It used to be a fairly basic route.  If you showed up and kept your nose to the grindstone, you could make enough to buy a house and raise a family.

Those are tough sell values if people want it all and they want it now. 

I can remember the first employee that asked if the work was always this hard?  . . . They asked during their first break.  That job wasn't too hard either.  It was good money pulling small item orders in a nice climate controlled warehouse.  It's hard to resist clanging their noggin and telling them they have it easy compared to the old days.

6 hours ago, Blackstar said:

I pay 4% vacation pay to my employees every week. Being seasonal work, most employees don't take much time off. They also get paid for stat holidays.

Its been that way at all the business I've worked at in the swimming pool industry.

My son just started a new job and they gave him 4 weeks paid vacation to start. He can also take a 5th week unpaid if he wants. Nice deal.

In Canada, paid vacation is set by the province or territory. In all provinces, its 10 days minimum plus stat holidays.

This what Wiki says for the United States.

There is no federal or state statutory minimum paid vacation or paid public holidays. Paid leave is at the discretion of the employers to their employees.[192][193] According to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics, 77% of private employers offer paid vacation to their employees; full-time employees earn on average 10 vacation days after one year of service.[194] Similarly, 77% of private employers give their employees paid time off during public holidays, on average 8 holidays per year.[194][195] Some employers offer no vacation at all.[196] The average number of paid vacation days offered by private employers is 10 days after 1 year of service, 14 days after 5 years, 17 days after 10 years, and 20 days after 20 years.[194][197]

Everyone starts at %4. I'm maxed out with 15 years in.

Paying every week means it's just easier to sever ties.

Guy after 90 days gets the same money as the 20 year guy. 

Seniority to work or not and first pick  of vacation weeks goes to the highest seniority. 2 weeks to override a less senior employee, if not it's theirs.

10 years ago there was almost no time off from April to October. Management changed from an old boy's club to more corporate.

Now everyone gets 2 weeks. Calendar is online April one so everyone can see it.

I'm fortunate in all I do, I have the ability to say no...and I'm doing it more and more thanks to my wife's prodding.

People can be very needy. 

It's quite refreshing, knowing I do not deliver oxygen to seniors nor service dialysis machines.

Fuckers will survive.