Check your account email address ×

New Tech From Cat 2024

• Platinum Contributing Member
5 minutes ago, f7ben said:

Is that new for 2023? It would have to be making 1.5lbs at sea level and about 5.5 at 8000’ now

Yes I believe it is.   No question the performance of the Poo made them up their game. 

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve753 said:

Ya it is.

You literally said 

“It makes 4lbs of boost at sea level to 8000’ elevation” 

That is 100% wrong and even making that statement shows you are completely clueless about engines and turbos in general

3 minutes ago, f7ben said:

No , you apparently don’t understand :lol: with the wastegate open it makes 0 lbs of boost. 

Or nothing like you said 

This helps a lot, thank you for clarifying.

So, the wastegate is upstream and controls how fast the turbo spins.  The turbo doesn't produce a constant amount of boost.  The amount of boost required depends on the cool graphics from BRP marketing.

1 minute ago, f7ben said:

You literally said 

“It makes 4lbs of boost at sea level to 8000’ elevation” 

That is 100% wrong and even making that statement shows you are completely clueless about engines and turbos in general

I should've said it was making boost at sea level. You said it wasn't making any at all. You're more wrong than I.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

I should've said it was making boost at sea level. You said it wasn't making any at all. You're more wrong than I.

I think both of you are correct, and I say that so you'll keep attacking each other and won't come after me.

For once, I may actually agree with Mr. F7 - I think he was talking theoretically about turbos in general.  But, it's a little hard to follow when we keep switching back and forth between the actual Doo solution and turbo theory.

4 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

I think both of you are correct, and I say that so you'll keep attacking each other and won't come after me.

For once, I may actually agree with Mr. F7 - I think he was talking theoretically about turbos in general.  But, it's a little hard to follow when we keep switching back and forth between the actual Doo solution and turbo theory.

If you want a good read, to a search on clutching on this forum, it kept me occupied reading on the plane for almost an hr. 

:lol:

Edited by Steve753
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

Where have you been?  How dare you stay on topic!  We need to add Greta Thunberg to the emoji list for times like these.

Besides the Garmin GPS, they also moved the key switch to the fuel tank area, next to a now standard RCA jack for heated shields/goggles.

Polaris did that in 2021! :owned:

• Haha 2

51 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

You can lock a wastegate shut and a turbo will make boost until it runs off the compressor map. The faster you spin a turbo the more boost it will make until the compressor can’t create more pressure or there becomes a restriction in flow , either exhaust or intake.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

That is new for 2023 and I didn’t know they had made that change. 

1 hour ago, f7ben said:

The turbo is made to spin by exhaust gas flow , the wastegate just diverts that exhaust gas around the turbo or close and exhaust goes through it which is controlling the shaft speed. A turbo with the wastegate open makes zero positive pressure as it’s not spinning fast enough. 

No.  A turbo has two "fans" that are coupled by a shaft.  The exhaust spins one and then the other one spins pressurizing the air on the intake.  A waste gate dumps all this pressure to atmosphere to control it as the exhaust fan will spin the same speed (assuming no load) with the same amount of exhaust driving it.  I over simplified it, but that clarifies the commentary.  So there is ZERO pressure when the waste gate is open.  The turbo does not produce 4psi, it produces flow.  Backpressure turns this flow into PSI.  At sea level it has 0 psi boost.

1 hour ago, Steve753 said:

And it isn't.  Not at all.  If you closed the waste gate it would, but Ski Doo is too pussified to do that.

16 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Interesting shootout, take what you want from it.

SNOWTRAX 2023 - Episode 5 - Supertrax Online

From watching that video my assessment of the turbo stands and F7 was wrong.

17 minutes ago, oldslowsledder said:

Interesting shootout, take what you want from it.

SNOWTRAX 2023 - Episode 5 - Supertrax Online

What was missing from that comparison?  Oh yeah, a catalyst 600. 

Would've blown both of those sleds away with it's superior performance, handling, ergonomics, technology, fit and finish.

About the single best video to show just how fucking far behind cat/textron is in the game.  Fast forward another decade and they will either be still trying to catch up or completely gone from the sport.

7 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

From watching that video my assessment of the turbo stands and F7 was wrong.

The sled at launch in 2020 has always had a turbo on it.  It was simply calibrated to keep the HP constant regardless of elevation.  A turbo does not have to be increasing performance at all times to be classified as a fucking turbo. 

This was a design decision made for reliability and to keep fucktards from grenading the engine at sea level and then crying to anyone that would listen about how unreliable the 850 engine is. 

It was the first 2 stroke factory turbo with a warranty from any manufacturer.  The Boost was the first factory turbo 2 stroke flatland sled with a warranty.

Cat/textron is not even offering a high performance 2 stroke option in it's all new for 2024 sled.  Maybe 2025?  There's always a maybe for next season for their fans. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, jdsky said:

Would've blown both of those sleds away with it's superior performance, handling, ergonomics, technology, fit and finish.

About the single best video to show just how fucking far behind cat/textron is in the game.  Fast forward another decade and they will either be still trying to catch up or completely gone from the sport.

Someone sounds insecure as fuck.
Worried that 2024's sled of the year is most likely going to be a Catalyst?
It's going to propel them right back into a great position, and keep them locked in the sport for awhile.
BRP and Polaris have shown their cards while Cat has been working on this chassis for years.

There's a good chance Cat will have the best handling trail and mountain sled.
If thats the case, you'll see why passion is more important then sales numbers and market share.

Edited by stinkipinki

22 minutes ago, jdsky said:

I wouldn't say it was missing, that was a 2023 model year comparo.  

Yet, again, someone claiming that anyone believes a 600 n/a can keep up with a big bore turbo.  Nobody has made that claim, and nobody believes it.  There's a lot you can argue about without blowing things out of proportion.

22 minutes ago, p51mstg said:

There's a lot you can argue about without blowing things out of proportion.

Hey you gotta own a 900 Turbo or 850, or your not a man!
Thats not insecure or anything. :D

Be careful when saying things like 'Cat's new chassis could be the best'.
The locals here don't like hearing things outside their echo chamber.

Edited by stinkipinki

stinki just talking out of his ass about shit he parrots off the internet from other brand blind loyal cat riders.  We have had several in the group and at one time 25 years ago we were all blind cat loyalists. 

That changed for a majority of us when something better came along.  A couple just buried their heads in the sand and kept pretending that cat was still innovating and building the best shit for the money.  They too would parrot shit that none of the rest of us were ever even experiencing and that's even though they were first hand witness to it over those two decades of riding.

When you see posts like "the mountain guys are just raving about this new catayst" one has to wonder what the fuck are they even comparing it too?  An 850 turbo mountain sled from doo or poo?