Check your account email address ×

New Tech From Cat 2024

5 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

I ordered a brand new Defender this year and love the Rotax power. The engine is not world class. Its still not on par with engine tech Yamaha had several years ago.

If Doo's engines are so advanced, they haven't shown it in the real world,the 850 etec is average and their 900 4-stroke turbo would be impressive...if it released in 2007.

So what kind of industry changing advancements will we see in the new Cat engine? Their last attempt with an 800 didn't work out so well :lol:

Will it at least be DI ?

8 minutes ago, HSR said:

So what kind of industry changing advancements will we see in the new Cat engine? Their last attempt with an 800 didn't work out so well :lol:

Will it at least be DI ?

Now that is a conversation worth having. I'd put my money on a 880-920 cc twin, with an optional turbo. Cat are very aware that, this mill needs to be dominant, reliable and efficient. 

22 minutes ago, HSR said:

Will it at least be DI ?

Hopefully it's a yamaha.

• Platinum Contributing Member
26 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Now that is a conversation worth having. I'd put my money on a 880-920 cc twin, with an optional turbo. Cat are very aware that, this mill needs to be dominant, reliable and efficient. 

Well they got another year to come up with something.  :lol:  

Hopefully Cat will get with the program engine wise and we all would love to see Yammie get back in the 2 stroke game.   Honestly I'll own any of them that I think have something special. 

I do think Cat will have a good motor next year for the chassis however its also giving Poo and Doo more time to refine and increase performance.

Edited by Highmark
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

Polaris already has a 900cc engine that will likely be turbo'd before Cat has anything so absolutely nothing new there.More cc's isn't a technological advancement. Will it be their first attempt at DI and first attempt at a turbo 2S at the same time?Sounds like a solid plan.

So Cat didn't know this when they released the puny 800 ctec? They missed all those points completely.

6 hours ago, f7ben said:

Is that new for 2023? It would have to be making 1.5lbs at sea level and about 5.5 at 8000’ now

Everyone knew Doo would crank up the boost after the first year.  Getting a sled into production with a "turbo" that would adjust to altitude was a big step.  2 year factory warranty on those I think?

Let the early adopters buy the first year one.  Then they crank it up to 180 HP and the same guys will buy them again.  Bump to 190 HP, rinse and repeat.  Big profit in big bore and turbo models.

Patriot 850 reliability seems to be better the last couple years but I'd rather have the ETEC.  

funny how people keep calling a FICHT an etec 

a few of you might get that one 

Suzuki made the best engines that couldn't meet emissions.  Yamaha 998s and 1049's can't hold a candle to the Zuke 4S in terms of reliability.  

@Tommcat would love this thread... :roflcrying:

59 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

I ordered a brand new Defender this year and love the Rotax power. The engine is not world class. Its still not on par with engine tech Yamaha had several years ago.

If Doo's engines are so advanced, they haven't shown it in the real world,the 850 etec is average and their 900 4-stroke turbo would be impressive...if it released in 2007.

Your Defender has a gutless 100hp motor in it. Yamaha has had the gutless 700cc in their quads and sxs's for ever and only recently started putting the R1 motor in some of their sxs's.  It still pales in comparison to what's available in the Can Am X3.

1 minute ago, Highmark said:

I'd like to see Cat have a 850-900cc Supercharged sled.   Mix it up a bit. :bc:

maybe some of you should lay off the political forum and follow the snowmobile forums here on occasion... :lmao:

14 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

BRP 2S's don't come standard with a recoil.  

Why? 

:roflcrying::stoned:

I recently sold 3 that didn't have recoils. Never needed them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Steve753 said:

Your Defender has a gutless 100hp motor in it. Yamaha has had the gutless 700cc in their quads and sxs's for ever and only recently started putting the R1 motor in some of their sxs's.  It still pales in comparison to what's available in the Can Am X3.

I love the motor in my Can Am. It's anything but gutless, has great torgue and power.

12 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

BRP 2S's don't come standard with a recoil.  

Why? 

:roflcrying::stoned:

They do if you buy the good ones, not that I've used it. 

I tried to pull mine over at -19 and it would hardly budge.  Hit the e-start button and it fired up like it was nothing.

1 hour ago, DriftBusta said:

a stout crankcase, connecting rods and head studs for mod potential appeals to less than 5% of the sledding population.  Stock it’s a pleasant slightly anemic and boring motor.  900 turbo is way funnier and faster in stock form.  The Yamaha 998 has got them both beat in hp and mod potential.

Google burning Arctic Cats.  You’re gonna probably want to refresh your drink.  someone should cue up that old Angry AC guy video where his diamond drive shit the bed :lol: 

Agreed.

In stock form, in last years shootout, the 998 beat the Mach z.
As far as sleds, way more Polaris and Doo sleds have caught fire then Cat.

The lawsuits against Polaris are still in the thousands, if you include SXS's/Quads. And every sled they've made for the past 7 years got recalled because, out of nowhere, without a full tank, they can explode, which has happened to several dozen, which led to the massive, and embarrassing recall. 

Edited by stinkipinki

Just now, Steve753 said:

I recently sold 3 that didn't have recoils. Never needed them.

shall I post all my pictures of friends with dead batteries I taught to start their sleds off the primary.... rather than loan them a pair of jumper cables? 

I mean really... no recoil?  Even cheap junk Polaris sleds with estart come with a fucking recoil.  :lmao:

Just now, stinkipinki said:

I love the motor in my Can Am. It's anything but gutless, has great torgue and power.

:lol:

It's an ATV motor. I guess it's great if your just cruising around the farm checking fences. 

3 minutes ago, teamgreen02 said:

They do if you buy the good ones, not that I've used it. 

I tried to pull mine over at -19 and it would hardly budge.  Hit the e-start button and it fired up like it was nothing.

I will say... the SHOT system is appealing 

3 minutes ago, stinkipinki said:

In stock form, in last years shootout, the 998 beat the Mach z.

It's got 100 more cc, you'd think it would be faster.