Check your account email address ×

Why Toyota – the world’s largest automaker – isn’t all-in on electric vehicles

irv

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/09/13/why-toyota-the-worlds-largest-automaker-isnt-all-in-on-evs.html

• Toyota, the king of hybrid vehicles, has come under scrutiny by some environmentalist groups for its cautiousness on investing in fully electric vehicles.
  • The company doesn’t believe battery-electric vehicles are the only solution to producing more sustainable vehicles and achieving carbon neutrality.
  • Toyota has a goal to produce 3.5 million electric vehicles by 2030, which would be more than a third of its current sales, while rival automakers promise to exclusively offer such vehicles.
  • Thanks 1

• Platinum Contributing Member

Gas powered vehicles will remain hot sellers well into the 2030's.   If foreign owned companies are the only ones producing them they will be the beneficiaries.   

not all areas of the world will adopt EVs at the same pace due to the high cost of the vehicles as well as a lack of infrastructure, they say.

“For as much as people want to talk about EVs, the marketplace isn’t mature enough and ready enough ... at the level we would need to have mass movement,” said Jack Hollis, executive vice president of sales at Toyota Motor North America, last month during a virtual Automotive Press Association meeting.

• Platinum Contributing Member
2 minutes ago, racer254 said:

not all areas of the world will adopt EVs at the same pace due to the high cost of the vehicles as well as a lack of infrastructure, they say.

“For as much as people want to talk about EVs, the marketplace isn’t mature enough and ready enough ... at the level we would need to have mass movement,” said Jack Hollis, executive vice president of sales at Toyota Motor North America, last month during a virtual Automotive Press Association meeting.

The whole world needs to go all EV like California will be soon   :lol:   :suicide:

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spin_dry said:

Toyota and Honda have drastically cut production mostly due to the quality of parts. The domestics continue to pump out shit. They don’t care. 

we are to the point of crossing our fingers. local appliance guy said the same thing. he sold local fd a new fridge, it failed soon after and ruined all the food for the bbq they had coming

2 hours ago, sleepybrew said:

we are to the point of crossing our fingers. local appliance guy said the same thing. he sold local fd a new fridge, it failed soon after and ruined all the food for the bbq they had coming

Quality of any durable good is pathetic at the moment. 

Hybrids make sense by 203??? 

Full EVs... not so much

Toyota/Lexus have successfully been in the hybrid game since 2005

My uncle bought the first gen RX400h when it came out, it was still on the road until May when my cousin's youngest daughter was hit in it. 

the 500h is a looker

https://www.lexus.com/models/LC-hybrid

11 minutes ago, Crnr2Crnr said:

Hybrids make sense by 203??? 

Full EVs... not so much

Toyota/Lexus have successfully been in the hybrid game since 2005

My uncle bought the first gen RX400h when it came out, it was still on the road until May when my cousin's youngest daughter was hit in it. 

the 500h is a looker

https://www.lexus.com/models/LC-hybrid

i really like the gas lc500. only thing i don't like is the nose. 

4 minutes ago, sleepybrew said:

i really like the gas lc500. only thing i don't like is the nose. 

And I know I'm old school, and will never see it, but I rather myself a MT... Oh well.  I guess you get what you get for ~$100k