Check your account email address ×

Any bets on Cuomo?

Cuomo's office released more than 9,000 COVID-19 patients back to nursing homes early in the pandemic, AP finds

Sarah Al-Arshani
Fri, February 12, 2021, 1:55 AM

Andrew Cuomo
New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is seen attending a press conference on September 29, 2020. Lev Radin/Pacific Press/LightRocket via Getty

More than 9,000 patients who were recovering from COVID-19 were sent to nursing homes across New York State early in the pandemic, the Associated Press reported.

Their transfer was a result of a March 25 directive from Gov. Andrew Cuomo that has sparked criticism for potentially contributing to the increase in cases and deaths across the state's nursing homes. The number of patients transferred is also 40% higher than what the state health department previously released.

Politico reported that Republican lawmakers in the state are now calling on Cuomo to resign. The calls come after The New York Post reported that a Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa, a top aide to Cuomo, admitted to withholding the actual death toll in the state nursing homes.

The Post obtained audio from a meeting with Democratic lawmakers, where DeRosa apologized and says they "froze" when Cuomo's office got a request for the numbers in August. DeRosa reportedly said she was afraid it would cause a federal investigation and allow former President Donald Trump to attack Cuomo and his administration.

"Because then we were in a position where we weren't sure if what we were going to give to the Department of Justice, or what we give to you guys, what we start saying, was going to be used against us while we weren't sure if there was going to be an investigation," DeRosa said, according to the Post.

Cuomo's office did not respond to an emailed request for comment at the time of publication.

Read more: Meet the little-known power player with the 'hardest job' on Capitol Hill. She's shaping Trump's impeachment trial and Joe Biden's agenda.

Last month, the state's Attorney General Letitia James condemned Cuomo's office and said they underreported deaths in long-term care facilities by more than 50%.

The AP filed a Freedom of Information request, and the state said there was an additional new count of 2,729 "readmissions" 0f patients sent back to the nursing home they lived in before being admitted to the hospital on top of the previously disclosed 6,327 patients.

While state officials have said the state was simply following federal guidelines and that the spread of the virus in nursing homes is mainly due to asymptomatic staff, other health experts say that tit likely led to more infections and deaths.

"There has never been any question in my mind that sending COVID-19 patients into completely unprepared, understaffed, and underresourced nursing homes both increased transmission and led to a greater number of deaths," Dr. Michael Wasserman, president of the California Association of Long Term Care Medicine, told the AP.

Read the original article on Business Insider

• Gold Member
17 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

I'll take absolutely nothing happens to him in the next 9 months for $50

I hate it, bit I think his popularity just grows with each melodramatic news conference. He's a fucking shitbag.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, frenchy said:

didn't they have that floating hospital sitting there unused around that time?

Pretty much criminal negligence right there.....

I'm thinking that was just a ploy as he/the Dems were hoping Trump wouldn't deliver but it backfired on them when he did. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
10 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Normally I would not disagree with your assessment but His own party is turning on him so it could get interesting. 

He already killed a guy drunk drag racing in his youth.. daddy got him off... Nothing will happen, he will continue to rule his state.. Disgusting. 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, frenchy said:

didn't they have that floating hospital sitting there unused around that time?

Pretty much criminal negligence right there.....

It was for non-covid patients, not a single covid patient was ever to be sent there,. He sent 9 covid positive patients there instantly.. contaminated the entire vessel, that ship sailed there to be contaminated by him and never see a patient

1 minute ago, irv said:

I'm thinking that was just a ploy as he/the Dems were hoping Trump wouldn't deliver but it backfired on them when he did. 

even more to my point on criminal negligence. He had a fully contained medical unit at his disposal and instead admitted covid positive individuals into institutions that house the highest risk individuals for purely political reasons. 

Just now, Rigid1 said:

It was for non-covid patients, not a single covid patient was ever to be sent there,. He sent 9 covid positive patients there instantly.. contaminated the entire vessel, that ship sailed there to be contaminated by him and never see a patient

my point is more he could have used it for anything he wanted to, namely keeping covid patients isolated from the general pop, but didn't. 

Just now, frenchy said:

my point is more he could have used it for anything he wanted to, namely keeping covid patients isolated from the general pop, but didn't. 

Negative, there were very strict rules,  Absolutely no covid patients was one of them,..he sent them there and contaminated the ship, the first NY's to walk aboard were covid +,. Should have never happened, it's a trauma ship...Was there to help out local hospitals, relief them of trauma cases since they were "over loaded with covid cases" and couldn't treat accident/ injury victims

I'm helping you with your point ffs..

3 minutes ago, Rigid1 said:

Negative, there were very strict rules,  Absolutely no covid patients was one of them,..he sent them there and contaminated the ship, the first NY's to walk aboard were covid +,. Should have never happened, it's a trauma ship...Was there to help out local hospitals, relief them of trauma cases since they were "over loaded with covid cases" and couldn't treat accident/ injury victims

I'm helping you with your point ffs..

ah ok, not arguing but didn't know that. Either way using that would have freed up space in actual hospitals. 

• Thanks 1

I would like to think that with the way this POS has declared all these restrictions and his handling of these nursing home deaths I think his popularity in in the shitter, doubt he wins re-election, he has ran this state into the ground during his tenure