Check your account email address ×

The shittiest day of the shitiest year

2 hours ago, smokin george said:

There needs to be more regulations in place for dog food. They should stop bringing in the shit from China 

I also question the shots that our pets get annually or whenever. When we put our cat down a couple years ago, the lady who works at the front desk said she couldn't believe how many pets, both cats and dogs, have been put down lately due to diabetes. I had heard this before about the increase in diabetes deaths from friends and others and whispers about what exactly is in the shots they are receiving?

Sorry for your loss, Steve. Never an easy thing to do. My condolences. :sad:

4 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Had to put down my best friend yesterday

Jake, 8 yr old lab . Got cancer about 2-1/2 months ago. Unfortunatly ( or maybe fortunately) it moved fast.

Sorry to hear Steve. I lost my first Lab at 7 years old to a massive heart attack. He had just been to the vet a week earlier for his checkup. Then my second lab hung around for 16 years before we had to put her down. Absolutely horrible day. Now our current lab is approaching 11 years old. I watch him and see time might not be kind to him. Hips legs back are all starting to show the signs. I will be absolutely devastated when that day comes. Again very sorry for your loss.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jammin said:

Sorry to hear Steve. I lost my first Lab at 7 years old to a massive heart attack. He had just been to the vet a week earlier for his checkup. Then my second lab hung around for 16 years before we had to put her down. Absolutely horrible day. Now our current lab is approaching 11 years old. I watch him and see time might not be kind to him. Hips legs back are all starting to show the signs. I will be absolutely devastated when that day comes. Again very sorry for your loss.

We are at the same point with our Lab Maggie. Time really flies. Doesn't seem like its been almost 12 years since we got her.

1 hour ago, ManOnManOral said:

Sad day. My little buddy has been peeing on the floor. He is 4. Never has done so. Trying to get him to vet asap. I think he may be diabetic.

Could be a UTI, if you have amoxicillin try that.

4 hours ago, Big Crappie said:

We are at the same point with our Lab Maggie. Time really flies. Doesn't seem like its been almost 12 years since we got her.

It flies even faster when one adopts you.  It'll only be 4 years in a couple weeks for us.  I think the next one will be a puppy.

Photo from one of the many snowshoeing walks to help clear my mind.  

29541629_2161419830551791_26586553175943

Edited by racinfarmer
  • Like 2

• Platinum Contributing Member
9 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Exactly.  I pay a few bucks more now but, there’s more to it all.  Turns out all these fancy grain free products are pretty harmful to a lot of dogs and cats also.

They are the worst , and people think they are paying good money for a better product.

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

They are the worst , and people think they are paying good money for a better product.

It's the grains that they put in food that's not good for them. Wolves don't go and graze in a field. 

1 hour ago, steve from amherst said:

Yep.  These “boutique” brands are causing heart problems. 

3 minutes ago, smokin george said:

It's the grains that they put in food that's not good for them. Wolves don't go and graze in a field. 

Exactly.  Vet told me that the old school Purina dog chow is a healthier product.  We do Science Diet exclusively now.  

12 hours ago, Mainecat said:

When I was a kid we had mutts and fed em everything from Calo junk canned food, table scraps, ice cream, cakes and whatever. They all lived at least to 14 years old.

Agreed

12 hours ago, smokin george said:

There needs to be more regulations in place for dog food. They should stop bringing in the shit from China 

12 hours ago, ford_428cj said:

X2

Makes you wonder. 

Any people or animal food from the nasty chinks should be banned.

I checked the plastic bottles at the supermarket for apple juice, months ago. A LOT of our apple juice comes from CHINA!!!

As I've stated for years, fuck China, but mostly fuck the American businessman who out sourced to that filthy, polluted, toxin-infested hell hole of humanity. 

This made me reflect on the countless dogs I’ve had over the years. Mostly top shelf pure breads. The one dog that I’d consider my canine soulmate was keisha. A lab/collie mix that was a rescue. She came to me at 7yo. I lost her just shy of 15yo. There will never be another like her. We looked at each other at the rescue and it was a done deal. I have no idea who had her before, but she was very well trained. Probably professionally. I’ve always wondered about her previous live. 

Edited by spin_dry

10 hours ago, Anler said:

My BILs dog died from tainted dog food. 

Sorry couldn't resist, don't get me wrong, love dogs and miss mine a lot.  :bc: 

510585-beavis.jpg.a02ea0c6e69c95dfaed22fdaaf2b7877.jpg

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

Exactly.  Vet told me that the old school Purina dog chow is a healthier product.  We do Science Diet exclusively now.  

Sorry about the cat talk in a dog thread, but we've tried all kinds of food for our two cats, and have discovered that the only shit ours will eat and stay healthy on, is as my wifes cousin who's a vetinarian, describes as the "McDonalds of cat food"  :lol: 

12 hours ago, smokin george said:

Yep. Absolutely. My food is locally sourced from a company called frohms.  Good quality ingredients. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zambroski said:

It’s not the boutique brands. It’s the grain free varieties. It just so happens the more costly brands are grain free. The research is scant, but there’s enough to be concerned. Dogs aren’t wolves any longer. Most have become lazy fucks that put up with our Netflix addiction. All meat diets could be harmful. I switched to a food with a mix of meat and veggies. 

• Like 1

• Platinum Contributing Member
14 hours ago, steve from amherst said:

Had to put down my best friend yesterday

Jake, 8 yr old lab . Got cancer about 2-1/2 months ago. Unfortunatly ( or maybe fortunately) it moved fast.

Jake.jpg

Real sorry to hear. ...been through it many times, never gets easier. Tried chemo on one of my cancerous dogs once but doubt I would do that again, the treatment may have prolonged the inevitable slightly but seemed to make her highstrung and uncomfortable. My Pug died on my lap two hours into my 5 hour drive home from snowmobile camp but it was a fitting ending as she always loved that drive to and from. Kinda had the weekend at Bernie thing going on when I paid the toll on NYS Thruway with her still on my lap covered in tears. It was a brutal 3 hours. 

12 hours ago, Zambroski said:

Exactly.  I pay a few bucks more now but, there’s more to it Turns out all these fancy grain free products are pretty harmful to a lot .  of dogs and cats also.

Yup....may contribute to heart problems it seems. I steer clear of the grain-free products now.

10 hours ago, irv said:

I also question the shots that our pets get annually or whenever. When we put our cat down a couple years ago, the lady who works at the front desk said she couldn't believe how many pets, both cats and dogs, have been put down lately due to diabetes. I had heard this before about the increase in diabetes deaths from friends and others and whispers about what exactly is in the shots they are receiving?

Sorry for your loss, Steve. Never an easy thing to do. My condolences. :sad:

Yeah....there is speculation by my own vet that vaccines may be some causes of kidney troubles in cats.

And my rescue dog now has IMHA....an immune malfunction in which the red blood cells destroy  each other. She nearly died 6 weeks ago and had to undergo a blood transfusion.(I never knew they did that on dogs) Now is on prednisone and cyclosporine to suppress her immune system but these drugs are making her weak and wasting away her muscle mass . Still a 50/50 chance she pulls through this... $5k and counting.....now slowly starting to wean her off the drugs and hopefully  she won't have a relapse. They say the cause is hardly ever determined but can be triggered by tick bites or even vaccines.  She is now exempt from all vaccines including rabies shots as these can trigger an immune response relapse.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spin_dry said:

It’s not the boutique brands. It’s the grain free varieties. It just so happens the more costly brands are grain free. The research is scant, but there’s enough to be concerned. Dogs aren’t wolves any longer. Most have become lazy fucks that put up with our Netflix addiction. All meat diets could be harmful. I switched to a food with a mix of meat and veggies. 

That’s what I meant by “boutique” but, I guess they are more mainstream now.